Some Twin / Duo Comparisons

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Running df -h command in telnet I got the following results. Not sure if they are going to be useful but I will post anyway.

TWIN
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

DUO
Code:

Hmmm, now this is interesting

Code:

Code:

the duo has twice as much free memory as the twin, what processes or plugins are they both running m8?

Both are running fresh flash so all default really, except for epg picons etc which are on usb anyway

Theres a command to see what processes are running but I cant find it now lol

Last edited:

Code:

Code:

the duo has twice as much free memory as the twin, what processes or plugins are they both running m8?

That will increase on the duo too as we have stripped a lot of network resources from the default image, for example the current beta image ( build 280 ) for the duo is under 40 MB in size. where as the Ultimo and Uno are now just over 40 MB.

EDIT. I have to do a reflash of the Duo when i get in from work any way so i'll set it up and post back with some memory stats as above to compare to.

Last edited:
That will increase on the duo too as we have stripped a lot of network resources from the default image, for example the current beta image ( build 280 ) for the duo is under 40 MB in size. where as the Ultimo and Uno are now just over 40 MB.

I think thats important for an image that its has the basics but not bloated
let the user add what they want :)
as long as the image works and is stable thats most important, as for goodies thats for the end user to choose

DW image(s) are basic,clean images

:)

I think thats important for an image that its has the basics but not bloated
let the user add what they want :)
as long as the image works and is stable thats most important, as for goodies thats for the end user to choose

DW image(s) are basic,clean images

:)

Which is one of the principles were going back too. we spent way too much time in my opinion adding all kinds of things to the image at the users request and this has ended up with a image that while not the largest out there was beginning to become bloated, for example the 2.3-204 image was just a stretch over 48 MB this current beta is under 40 MB !. although it is worth pointing out that users need not fear they will still get the features they come to expect from the image and exactly how we have done it well thats going to have to wait till release but suffice to say i personally think were on the rite track with our current path.

as promised a comparison between ViX 2.3-204 and ViX 2.3-280 on the Vu+ Duo.

if the staff feel this would be best in the Vu+ section please move as needed.

=========#

Vu+ Duo
hardware revision 1.3, bootloader 3.0
no changes made or plugins added other than stated below.

Code:

attached devices
SanDisk Cruzor Blade 4GB USB memory stick.
maxtor 200 GB internal HDD

setup.
skin used ViX Night HD.
SGTFlipFlop 28.2 East SKY UK E2 bouquets. 28.3.2012
SGTFlipFlop 28.2 East SKY UK picons 28.3.2013. saved to usb memory stick.
HDMI CEC set to off.

CrossEPG with OpenTV 28.2 east sources. saved to usb stick.
crash logs and debug logs set to save to USB stick.
CCcam 2.2.1 setup for sky uk.
auto resolution plugin installed and setup as default settings.

BOOT TIMES.

Receiver let rest at least 1 to 2 minutes between tests

cold boot
The receiver is fully powered down by the rear power switch then allowed to rest for 1 minute.
after 1 minute the receiver is powered back up timer stops as soon as BBC news is watchable

GUI restart 1.
menu> standby/reset> restart.
Timer stops when BBC news is watchable.

GUI restart 2
menu> standby/reset> restart enigma
Timer stops when BBC news is watchable.

Code:

Running df -h command in telnet I got the following results.

ViX 2.3-204
Code:

ViX 2.3-280
Code:

Using cat /proc/meminfo command in telnet

ViX 2.3-204
Code:

ViX 2.3-280
Code:

Please note this data is now already out of date as while i was finishing this report andy had already pushed a update taking the image to 2.3-281.

Last edited:

Code:

Code:

digidude, I've got no experience of any of the other similar boxes, but I certainly have noticed that the TWIN seems to regularly get to a state when there's VERY LITTLE Free Memory left!

I've just re-flashed to the latest image (29/03/2012), and restored all previous settings (EPG and Picons on USB stick, Recordings on HDD), but didn't re-install all the plugins. Free Memory according to "Main Menu > Information > System Information" is about 11500 (which seems consistent with the result for "MemFree" using "cat /proc/meminfo").

I'm pretty sure that some of the issues I've been experiencing are down to this...

digidude, I've got no experience of any of the other similar boxes, but I certainly have noticed that the TWIN seems to regularly get to a state when there's VERY LITTLE Free Memory left!

I've just made a VERY interesting observation!!
I'm looking at one of my recordings that went bad (my issue is otherwise documented here https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/284373/), and I've been continually running "cat /proc/meminfo". So, as I've mentioned before, when watching a recording, the MemFree usually is around 3000kB to 3500kB. Now, whenever there's a breakup in the picture or sound of the recording (which is quite often!), the MemFree has dropped to about 2000-2200! This happens EVERY time! So, could my issues be indeed caused by low memory?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a memory leak issue but im no expert. Did you use the latest bootloader? Dont know if it makes any difference but try flashing bootloader then 29/03/12 again guess its going to be a case of trail and error.

Sounds like a memory leak issue but im no expert. Did you use the latest bootloader? Dont know if it makes any difference but try flashing bootloader then 29/03/12 again guess its going to be a case of trail and error.

Mate, that's what I've thought for a while (memory leak), however, every now and then I see something that makes me think "maybe not".

For example, to confirm my last assumption about the breakup happening when MemFree drops below about 2500kB, if I was to play that recording on another machine that wouldn't have memory issues (eg my monster Server2008 machine, that I'm currently using to re-encode a whole load of files to m4v) then the recording should play faultlessly. However, that's not the case, so the recording is indeed screwed up. Which then leads me to believe that the logic for memory use when viewing a recording must be try and fill all available memory up to the last 3000kB with the recording stream (on both sides of the current "cursor" point) so that it's quicker to respond to fast forward, rewind, pause, etc. However, if a glitch occurs in the stream, try and adjust this buffer to get to the next "good" part of the stream.

Anyway, after a full system reboot after the new image change and with no plugins installed, the MemFree goes up to around 41000kB (the most I've seen before), and drops down to 3000kB when you go into any recordings. Interestingly, if you are watching a recording and then somehow exit back to a tuner without stopping the recording, the MemFree stays low. Go back into recordings and press the stop button, though, and the memory gets cleared up! :S

EDIT: I've just noticed that MemFree goes down to 3000kB or less when recordings are in progress, too - it was about 34000kB when on 1 channel with encryption, but then a timer recording kicked in (so not even viewing this channel at present!) and the MemFree has dropped to 3000kB or below. As mentioned before, this *could* be for buffering reasons, but it still seems very low to me.

I won't go on too much about memory without a developer of the system commenting, as I know from my iOS development that other factors can affect memory usage - eg in Mac OSX, you *may* see that you've got very little free memory, but it's because the memory is still kept active for closed applications in case you want to re-launch that application again. If however you need more memory for something else, then the OS will decide what to flush from recent memory to make way for the new demands. Anyway, my point is that I'm not sure if there's a similar mechanism in this box, whereby even though very little memory is free, it'll actually be freed up if something else needs it.

Did you use the latest bootloader? Dont know if it makes any difference but try flashing bootloader then 29/03/12 again guess its going to be a case of trail and error.

First time I've heard about needing to change the bootloader? How do you do this??

Last edited:
First time I've heard about needing to change the bootloader? How do you do this??

Someone might have to confirm this but I think it might be built in to past few images so no need to update bootloader. Other thing to try is a swap file on a usb stick and see if that makes any difference. Cant remember where I read it but memory useage on these are completly different in the way they are used compared to pc/mac.

RE:First time I've heard about needing to change the bootloader? How do you do this??

If you are prompted to press OK when you flash an image then you have a new bootloader. If it flashes without, then you have an old one. I posted a guide and necessary files several days ago if needed.

If you are prompted to press OK when you flash an image then you have a new bootloader. If it flashes without, then you have an old one. I posted a guide and necessary files several days ago if needed.

Thanks again, abu-baniaz. This is when you boot up with a USB stick containing an "update" folder is plugged in, right? If so, mine does ask you to press OK. Do I still need to change the bootloader?

This is when you boot up with a USB stick containing an "update" folder is plugged in, right? If so, mine does ask you to press OK. Do I still need to change the bootloader?

No need to update. That is the latest bootloader.

Hi,

Reading these threads on comparisons between the latest Technomate offering and the Vu Duo is that the Vu Duo works end off.
I got one when they first came out and it worked then!!!! the card reader, cam slot, wireless all worked unbelievable in the Technomate world :).
It's also been working perfectly since these first days with only improvements in image function, it's never gone backwards to my knowledge like with the TM800 which I do still own.

Back