so simple yet so hard

Try this, open MY COMPUTER > TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS > VIEW, scroll to the bottom and tick ENABLE SIMPLE FILE SHARING

that options not there m8

but the folders i want to share i have right clicked and enabled sharing on the individual folders, and ticked the 'allow other users to change files' option as ill be wanting to send from laptop to PC, burn using the PC then delete from the laptop (if that makes sense )

U running SP2 mate?

Last edited:
will run windows update on the laptop now

edit:

its saying ive got SP2 installed

Last edited:
got wep encryption and firewall, but even with it all turned off the laptop wont find any workgroup

the pc and laptop are wired

sometime the workgroup as to be the same in all the machine.

theres only 2 computers on the network, everything is setup the same on them both. the pc can see the laptop in network places, but says its not allowed to connect, the laptop cant find any workgroup at all even though ive triple checked it half a million times

how long does it take to send a 4.4G image file over a network anyway? is it quicker to take the usb hard drive into the next room and unrar directly to the PC?

fook it, i think ill do that if i cant get it going by sunday night lol

Try switching off your router and then switch on, for some reason this has worked for me in the past.

Last edited:
ive tried it with the default MSHOME as well as my own neurofly settings which worked in the past, ive done it letting windows totally deal with it all then restarted router, pc and laptop all at the same time, i know the problem lies with the laptop but cant work out what it is, i have all the latest updates from microsoft but am moissing the folder option that was mentioned

On your laptop, I'm assuming you are trying to access the other PC's shared folder via wireless? And I'm also assuming there is an onboard ethernet connection?

Go into network connections and disable the onboard connect leaving the wireless one connected. Should show the files now.

i have the laptop connected by ethernet as the wireless drops out when the neighbours doorbell rings or if i arm the house alarm so i rely on the cable. ive tried to pind the laptop from the PC and nothing was returned, but i can ping the pc from the laptop

Back