so simple yet so hard

digidude

Sheep worrier.
VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a wired and wireless network in place. the wireless is secure (secure enough for me anyway) and mailny for the Wii, PSP and the laptop. the laptop is also wired into the network along with an xbox and a dreambox, and also used to be connected to another laptop and a main PC. as nothing has really been 'shared' on it for the last year ive not needed to tinker with it, but now i want to send large files from the laptop to the PC to burn to DVD (4G+)

ive gone through the network wizard numerous times, restarting etc but the laptop will not find any other connected machines. the PC (called kit) knows the laptop (called lappy2) is there but cant connect to it but the laptop cant find any workgroup.

i managed to get it all working before, sharing folders from 3 machines and a xbox all working in harmony, but now cant really share anything

ive had a search for ages but nothing i try works, any ideas?

tia

what i want to do is send a large file from the laptop to the PC, my usb drive wont hold files over 4Gb (which they all are) as ive tried that way. ive tried 'browsing' for a 'new network place' but it wont let me from the laptop

Try this, open MY COMPUTER > TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS > VIEW, scroll to the bottom and tick ENABLE SIMPLE FILE SHARING, restart and try again.

Goto any folders u want to share and right click , select SHARING AND SECURITY, click on the Hypertext 'If u understand....blah blah" then select 'JUST ENABLE".

Last edited:
using XP home on both machines

when it was all working fine there was a mix of xp home, pro and 98

i have set the permissions on folders but they still wont play nice

Networking is one of the Dark Arts, a bit like Witchcraft or Accountancy. Only the initiated truly understand what they are doing.

its something to do with the XP laptop. ive tried disabeling all security but it still cant find any workgroups

Have you tried just running the location of the shared folder from Start menu > run. Like \\kit\sharedfoldername

yep did that

\\192.168.1.7\c$

after hanging for a while came up with an error

soz, was no error on that, just hanging for ages

edit:

comes up with

the network path could not be found

Last edited:
What can you see when you go to 'My Network Place'?

Does it show your shared files there? and if so does it let you access them?

Crazy

on the PC it chows my laptop if i click the 'show all workgroup computers' but wont let me access it, from the laptop it wont even open any workgroup connection

Back