So I'm fat...

am 5.8ish 24 stone and rescently taken off my deppresion tablets of 15 years to stop my head from shaking they said but all i want to do is kill someone or myshelf heads right up my arse (c"mon us fat people)

I'm 6'1 and 19 and a half stone. you lot make me feel small! cant be having that! wheres that dominos menu lol :proud: :D

And so it seems that the more portly amongst us would do well to take heed of the message given to us in Psalm 10.

"For the wicked boasts of his heart’s desire,
And the greedy man curses and spurns the LORD."

Psalm 10.3

I'm 5ft 10...13st 4lb and roughly 10-12% bodyfat...but then I train 6 days out of 7, train in work and work in a job where I get tested for fitness regularly and can be disciplined for not reaching the fitness levels. I see overweight people in the gym and have more respect for them than the fit people, it takes real courage to address the issue rather than just stand in front of a mirror admiring your "guns"...

I'm a hair over 6' and weigh 14st. (I've lost just over a stone over the last 12 months just by cutting back on the sugar.)

Anyway, back to the question in hand; to me it depends on the treatment being refused by the health authority.

For example, there is no point in giving a person with a BMI of 50+ a knee or hip replacement, especially those under 50. If they don't loose weight, it'll only last 5 years. More often than not, the weight loss that most orthopaedic surgeons request of morbidly obese patients reduces the pressure on the joint anyway, and can allow the operation to be put off for several years.

However, if it was a gastric banding, and all other avenues had been exhausted (and the surgeon and anaesthetist were happy to proceed), then I don't see the problem.

I'm a hair over 6' and weigh 14st. (I've lost just over a stone over the last 12 months just by cutting back on the sugar.)

Anyway, back to the question in hand; to me it depends on the treatment being refused by the health authority.

For example, there is no point in giving a person with a BMI of 50+ a knee or hip replacement, especially those under 50. If they don't loose weight, it'll only last 5 years. More often than not, the weight loss that most orthopaedic surgeons request of morbidly obese patients reduces the pressure on the joint anyway, and can allow the operation to be put off for several years.

However, if it was a gastric banding, and all other avenues had been exhausted (and the surgeon and anaesthetist were happy to proceed), then I don't see the problem.
6ft just about 14 stone and little belly,have gone on canderel as i worked out i was taking 30 sachets of sugar offshore when working in coffee and 2.5 teaspoon per cup of coffee at home so hoping will be enough for me to cut down

NHS is refusing treatment on the basis that lifestyle can effect operation effectiveness and recovery risks.

I am not sure about gastric banding, I'm not an expert but I believe there are a lot of limitation in diet afterwards which the person had followed before banding would possibly been just as effective.

NHS is refusing treatment on the basis that lifestyle can effect operation effectiveness and recovery risks.

I am not sure about gastric banding, I'm not an expert but I believe there are a lot of limitation in diet afterwards which the person had followed before banding would possibly been just as effective.

I know three people who have had gastric banding. They've all thin, but miserable.

Back