So I need some help updating

asmberkalvin

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've researched this for a while and searched all over Google but can't seem to find a solution.

So I inherited this Xbox that I didn't even know if it worked.

Get it home and hook it up low and behold it turns on. Unfortunately it only boots to an update page on the first dashboard that Xbox ever had.

Followed every official tutorial on how to update the Xbox via CD, USB, game disc, with and without the network cable plugged in. I also sat on Xbox support for an hour running through scenarios with the help desk only to not succeed.

Let me be clear, I do not get an error code nor can I access anything in the dashboard.

Can I mod/flash something to get this thing working again? I dealt with Xbox 1s a lot years ago but not much with the 360s.

Sorry if this is a total noob post, I'm very techy and don't have a problem using Google, just couldn't find an answer. Thanks guys.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

What exactly does it show on the screen, message details? Also have you tried clearing the update by holding the Sync button then powering on the console until it's fully booted? (you need to keep holding the sync button until the console is booted fully).

no, I havent tried that, I may try when I get home. all it shows when you boot it up is it will say updating for about 2 seconds then say it cannot find the disc. the only option i have at this point is to press A and make it search again, after that it fails and just says contact xbox support with no buttons lit up (no options to press anything or to go anywhere)

which button do you mean by the sync button? the controller sync button? or like the X box button in the middle of the controller?

Thanks!!!

Kalvin

Is there an error code on the screen , something like this `3F4B-0000-3080-051A-8007-0070`

There are no error codes at all. only the grayed out buttons at the bottom of the screen.

This is the original dashboard with the different blades but no navigation is possible. If need be I can take a video when I get home and post it via youtube or something.

Again, I appreciate your guys' help!

Kalvin

If you have the blades dashboard, don't update. Explore options. Post model type etc.

Okay, I will keep doing some research, but i cannot clear the cache as that would require me to be able to navigate my dashboard and I cannot access anything at all.

I am going to try to hold the sync button to see if i can clear it out that way.

what do you mean don't

ABU,

What do you mean don't update? I think that would be the only way for me to get it working again.

If your console is jtag exploitable, then jtagging it will fix it as you will create a new image for it.

I suppose the best thing is for you to upload pictures. Also identify what console type it is.

I will do tonight. anyone know a good thread I can read up on about the jtag thing? I've modded some original xboxs but this is new to me, i'm sure its the same concept though.

as far as identifying what console it is, it doesnt even have a hdmi output port. older white console. other than that I don't know.

Thanks again.

Kalvin

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I did try holding the sync button and it wouldn't do anything different.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Have you tried booting without the HDD?

I'm pretty sure that is 7371 or below dashboard. Hpefully someone will confirm if you can't resolve the update issue.

Chart attached for you to identify console type. Even if it is a Xenon, worth jtagging.

Attachments

• PSU.png
    PSU.png
    153 KB · Views: 6
The problem seems is that the console was being updated and at some point the update was interrupted for whatever reason. The problem is that with blades dash it doesn't give the hex error code like you get with the new NXE & Metro dash which when converted to decimal would give the dash version you were upgrading from and the dash you were upgrading to.

This is a problem because you need to know the exact dash version update that was being applied before and use a game disc with the same update to complete it. You could also try applying the update from a USB stick or just burning the update file to a CD but still remains the problem of finding what dash update was being applied.

The recommendation not to update the console comes from the fact that it was on a blades dash which means it's software exploitable and can be hacked.

I have booted with/without the hard drive. that hard drive is actually from my other working xbox.

I'm pretty sure it's a Xenon. It did have the little tab in the center of the power plug (i pulled it out so that I wouldn't have to buy a new power brick)

do we know what games have the updates? or should I just try every game I have? I could just burn every update they had and keep trying new discs, probably not practical but how many updates could there have been?

lol

thanks again,

Kalvin

Last edited:
Just stick the updates on a USB stick instead of disk.

What a waste though! Want to swap? I'll throw in a PSU.

The NAND needs to dumped first and see if the CB has changed or not, if the CB is still one that is exploitable then no need for R-JTAG as standard JTAG (switching diodes & a resistor) would be a better solution (quicker boot & cheaper). Though I don't know how long will a xenon last before it RROD's.

Back