Guides and Info Small Glossary of DVD terms

D

daing

The following info is contained on the following page

http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/dvdrip.cfm

where there is a complete glossary with detailed descriptions.

Included here are the most common terms which we see on the various film download sites (which we accidentally stumble upon:)) Hope it saves several days of downloading rubbish :)

Ripping Types

Cam
In this particular case, with Cam we mean a specific method how movie pirates create illegal bootleg copies of original movies. Cam method is basically just a guy who uses either regular or professional camcorder to shoot the movie either from TV or actually inside a movie theatre (in some Cam copies of movies you can actually see audience as well :). These bootleg copies are normally then encoded into VCD, SVCD or DivX format and distributed illegally over the Internet.
Not worth the download effort :)

DVD-Rip
Bootlegged movie copy made directly from a DVD-Video disc and encoded into some other format, like SVCD or DivX.

DVD-Video
Subset of DVD specs, even though normally term "DVD" refers to this particular format.

DVD-Video is a standard developed by DVD Forum and specifies how video should be stored on optical DVD disc. DVD-Video specs allow two different kind of video encoding algorithms to be used: MPEG-2 and MPEG-1. Virtually all DVD-Video discs use MPEG-2 format, mostly because of its superiority over MPEG-1 in terms of video quality.

Resolutions that video streams can use, are:

720x480 (NTSC, only with MPEG-2)
720x576 (PAL, only with MPEG-2)
704x480 (NTSC, only with MPEG-2)
704x576 (PAL, only with MPEG-2)
352x480 (NTSC, MPEG-2 & MPEG-1)
352x576 (PAL, MPEG-2 & MPEG-1)
352x240 (NTSC, MPEG-2 & MPEG-1)
352x288 (PAL, MPEG-2 & MPEG-1)

Screener
One of the multiple terms used by movie pirates to describe the source material/copying method that was used to make a bootlegged VCD, SVCD or DivX copy of a movie.

Screener normally refers to a copy made from either VHS tape or from DVD-Video disc that are sent to movie critics and censors before the movie is available to public through video rental chains. Normally refers to a very good quality bootlegged copy.

SVCD
SVCD stands for Super Video CD (called also SuperVCD or Chaoji VCD). It is a new CD standard (actually it is currently undergoing official standardization process) developed in 1998 by Chinese consumer electronics manufacturers, Chinese government and VCD consortium (Sony, Philips, Matsushita and JVC).

SVCD is a successor for extremely popular video format called VideoCD which was based on MPEG-1 video encoding. SVCD itself contains MPEG-2 video stream and MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 audio stream (MPEG-1 stereo audio layer II, MPEG-2 stereo audio layer II or MPEG-2 Multi-Channel 5.1 surround audio). It's video bitrate is normally higher than VideoCD's -- clear difference to VideoCD is the fact that SVCD doesn't specify a certain bitrate for video. Unspecified video bitrate also causes a situation where one SVCD disc can contain various amount of video -- normally one SVCD disc contains 35-40 minutes of video, but by reducing the bitrate, one CD can hold up to 74 minutes of video (which is the same amount what VCD disc contains).

As an addition, SVCD can also contain multiple audio streams (just like a DVD-Video can), subtitles, still images, multi-level hierarchical menus, chapters (for indexing), hyperlinks and playlists.

Just like VCDs (and audio CDs), SVCDs require a specific way how they are burned on the CD -- just sticking all the required files into CD structure doesn't make disc a SVCD compatible. Most of the new CD burning applications support SVCD already, so authoring your own SVCDs should be relatively easy.

SVCD's resolution is 2x higher than VCD's, in PAL the resolution is 480x576 and in NTSC it is 480x480. Framerates are 25fps and 29.97fps, just like in any other video format. SVCD's quality is somewhere between VideoCD and DVD-Video. Most of the DVD players can play SVCD discs which makes is perfect format for backing up your DVD movies and a very good alternative for DivX ;-) format.

Telesync
One of the multiple terms used by movie pirates to describe the source material that was used to make a bootlegged pirate copy, normally distributed in VideoCD, SVCD or DivX format.
Precisely Telesync means a copy which was shot in an empty cinema or from the projection booth with a professional camera, directly connected to the sound source.
Usually crap sound and video quality. :( but you can strike lucky:) thnx Waster :)

Telecine
Telecine also means a method to make an illegal bootleg copy of an original movie. Telecine method can be done in various ways, but normally it includes process where the movie is taken directly from the reel to digital format and then encoded into VCD, SVCD or DivX format.

VCD
VCD stands for VideoCD (version 2.0 to be more specific). VideoCD is a standard developed in early 1990's that allows regular CD to contain 74 minutes of video and audio. Both, video and audio, are encoded in MPEG-1 format and stored on the CD in specific format.

VideoCDs can be played in most of the stand-alone DVD players, in all stand-alone VCD players and in all computers that have CD-ROM drive. This is the VCD's strong point against DivX format which is based on MPEG-4 audio/video encoding technology.

VideoCD resolution is in PAL format 352 x 288 pixels with 25 frames/second. In NTSC format it is 352 x 240 pixels with 29,97 frames/second (except in NTSC film format, where the framerate is 23,976 frames/second.

Audio is encoded with bitrate of 224 kbit/sec in MPEG-1 Layer2 format (in both PAL and NTSC versions). Video is encoded with bitrate of 1150 kbit/sec.

XVCD
XVCD stands for eXtended VideoCD. It is not a real format unlike VideoCD and SuperVideoCD are, but instead it is a hack/extension of VideoCD format. Instead of using VideoCD's constant bitrate of 1150kbit/sec, the video can use up to 3,5Mbit/sec bitrate, providing better video quality. Also the resolution can be higher than VideoCD's CIF resolution -- full PAL/NTSC resolution can be used instead.

The problem with XVCD is the fact that it is not a real standard and therefor only some standalone DVD player can play these discs. And of course using higher bitrate causes the problem that one CD can contain less video and your movies end up taking more CDs (VCD uses 1,1Mbit/sec bitrate and if you use 3,5MBit/sec, obviously the CD can only contain appx. 1/3 of the length VCD can -- average of 25 minutes per CD).

Codecs – what the hell are they?

Codec
Codec stands for Coder/Decoder. Basically it is a piece of software or a driver that adds a support for certain video/audio format for your operating system. With codec, your system recognizes the format the codec is built for and allows you to play the audio/video file (=decode) or in some cases, to change another audio/video file into that format (=(en)code).

For example, when you install Windows to your home computer, Windows installs automatically bunch of most commonly used codec into the system, so you don't have to download them separately from their vendors. Despite that, there are some codecs that are widely used, but not installed automatically by Windows -- most notably DivX ;-), MPEG-2 and in some cases (old Windows versions, like Win95) MPEG-1 codecs.

DivX ;-)
DivX ;-) was developed by bunch of hackers, most notably a guy called gej and it is based on Microsoft's version of MPEG-4 encoding technology, called as Windows Media Video V3.

Basically Microsoft's encoders didn't allow users to save MPEG-4 streams into AVI structure format, but forced users to use ASF instead. It also had some other limitations -- and those limitations were overriden in DivX ;-). It also added a support for other than Windows Media Audio audio encoding technology, allowing users to have MP3 audio on their movies.

In 2001, original "developers" of this hacked (and therefor illegal) codec released a new legal version of DivX ;-), called DivX (without smiley). DivX (without smiley) supports old DivX ;-) movies and also adds new features and better compression quality than "original" DivX ;-).

The name, DivX ;-), comes from now defunct CircuitCity pay-per-view DVD format called DIVX.

With DivX ;-), you can store 50-120 minutes of relatively good quality video to one CD (740MB) (==most of the movies can be stored in one CD, unlike in VCD or SVCD). Only negative aspect DivX ;-) has when it's compared to VCD is the fact that VCDs can be played with regular stand-alone DVD players and DivXs can't.

Broadcast Standards

NTSC
Color TV standard developed in the U.S. in 1953 by National Television System Committee. NTSC is used in United States, Canada, Japan, in most of the American continent countries and in various Asian countries. Rest of the world uses either some variety of PAL or SECAM standards.

NTSC runs on 525 lines/frame and it's vertical frequency is 60Hz. NTSC's framerate is 29,97 frames/sec.

PAL
PAL (Phase Alternating Line) TV standard was introduced in the early 1960's in Europe. It has better resolution than in NTSC, having 625 lines/frame, but the framerate is slightly lower, being 25 frames/sec.

PAL is used in most of the western European countries (except France, where SECAM is used instead), Australia, some countries of Africa, some countries of South America and in some Asian countries.

There are various versions of PAL, most commonly used method is called PAL B/G, but others include PAL I (used in the UK and in Ireland) and PAL M (weird hybrid standard, which has the same resolution as NTSC has, but uses PAL transmission and color coding technology anyway). All of these standards normally work nicely together, but audio frequencies might vary and therefore you should check that your appliances work in the country you're planning to use them

I always thought telecine was probably a french or spanish version of a telesync lol

Have to disagree with one or two of those descriptions though.... I've seen some excellent quality telesync films (bowing down to Centropy!!!).

Good post though m8.

excellent post :)

good read m8y

Nice post m8. I remember Brother Scoot making one very similar about a couple of years back.
By the way, I thought that codec was for compression/decompression?

i just copied n pasted Speccy m8. I dont actually READ this stuff :)

Waster said:
I always thought telecine was probably a french or spanish version of a telesync lol

Have to disagree with one or two of those descriptions though.... I've seen some excellent quality telesync films (bowing down to Centropy!!!).

Good post though m8.

i have also seen some excellent telesyncs! some better than the screeners that advance them!!! centropy as u say are the best know for this

PS - nice post daing :)

@Daing, not nit picking m8. I suppose that coding/decoding means pretty much the same thing anyway.

LOL Speccy - -I didnt take it that way M8 - -just my humour ( or lack of it)

Hi
Good post on explaining what it all means but ive come across files called rar? what are these can anyone explain to my fuddled brain :littleang

winrar is a compression program that packs files and makes them smaller

check ht$p://www.rarlabs.com when u download it, all u do is right click the rar file and click extract here and your sorted

lozzy said:
Hi
Good post on explaining what it all means but ive come across files called rar? what are these can anyone explain to my fuddled brain :littleang

If u run into any unknown filetypes again, simply have a look at
http://www.filext.com/

This page gives detailed information on virtually every filetype extension there is and lists the software to use for opening those files as well.

hi siross
will check that out today thanks for info so many different types of files can get confusing,but im learning fast thanks for help
lozzy

hi bad karma
ive just looked at that site u showed me.very usefull site, with lots of help, thanks have a nice day cheers
lozzy

Back