Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sky's satellite digibollox

Gazer

Banned
TV Policy: Sky's Digibollox

The control freaks at Sky have certainly come up with a nasty little box of tricks for their new digital satellite TV service. Here are a few highlight from an article in What Satellite.

You might think that when you walk into a dealer to buy your Sky Digital system, you walk out with a Digibox. You might think that connecting up a Digibox to your existing satellite system would be easy, and even encouraged. But you'd be wrong on both counts, Buying a system will take a few days and involves some very invasive security measures.

The subsidised cost is £199 for new subscribers or £150 for existing subscribers + £25 connection fee. You will be asked to sign two contracts. ie BSkyB and British Interactive Broadcasting (BIB) which covers the subsidy of the Digibox. Only the dealer can actually order a card and Sky send the card back to the dealer. The dealer or installer must then come round to your house with the box and card. You will get a dish that must be aligned with a new satellite position and the box must be plugged into a nearby phone socket.

The card must then be authorised by using the box to phone Sky who will send an authorisation code over the air. Once a card has been authorised in a particular receiver it will not work in any other. This is designed to prevent cards going abroad (except with Digiboxes in tow). Lose your card and you will have to get a new one specially issued by Sky, there's bound to be a charge.

The BIB contract states that the box must be connected to a phone line for at least 12 months. One must think twice before establishing an uncontrollable phone link to such dodgy media companies as Sky, especially when they have not made it clear what they intend to use the link for. BIB is not planning any service until next year and the bulk of the home shopping stuff will not be online for another year. I wonder why they are so keen on demanding a connection. Any break in the phone line will soon be detected by Sky/BIB and then BIB will disable the receiver and demand £160 return of their subsidy. I hope they allow some leeway for those that like to minimise fire risk and disconnect equipment overnight or whilst away from home.

If you choose not to subscribe to Sky you can still get a subsidised box. You can also get a viewing card from the BBC for their services. Again you have to give your full name and address in an attempt to prevent cards going abroad. Not taking up the Sky subscriptions means that you will have to pay something like £100 for installation as that is their contribution to the subsidy, ie free installation. You cannot avoid this installation charge as it requires an authorised installer to register the system for service.

Now we start getting on to the nastier side of Sky's attitude to consumer choice. If you want to add a 2nd LNB to an existing analogue dish then you start hitting a bad attitude from Sky. Such deviant behaviour is frowned upon by Sky and they have recommended that installers walk away from any requests to fix up anything but the standard single digital dish with single box. People might start enjoying the other digital services available on Astra 1.

Sky also have a downer on those customers who would like to use a motorised system. The card is regularly re-authorised over the and if your dish is not pointing at the right satellite the card will be disabled. At the very least this will require the hassle of a phone call to Sky to get the card reactivated. In fact it appears that the digibox has been deliberately set up so that it is useless for receiving free-to-air signals from Astra and Eutelsat. This is surely starting to verge on illegal as any one wanting multi-satellite service must now use two dishes, which of course is not allowed.

Finally we come onto Macrovision, a neat little dongling mechanism that stops one recording Sky programmes. With a little bit of collusion from video manufacturers the synch pulses are messed up in such away that the video sees a pulsing brightness level whilst the TV sees a steady picture. Early versions of Macrovision were easily fixed via a little black box that is widely advertised in video equipment magazines but there has been talk of an additional dongle called colorstripe that pushes the phase of the colour information to the edge of its tolerance. This messes up a video but TV's can just about cope. The removal of this feature requires a more expensive fix. Sky have stated that the macrovision will only be applied to pay-per-view but there is no reason they should extend its use in future, this facility is totally under their control. The most obvious annoyance of this is that you lose your money if you are distracted from the programme by a phone call. A video you could just pause and get back to.

All in all a pretty restrictive package from a company clearly trying to stifle any opposition from other services. A gross abuse of power if you ask me and definitely not in the public interest. Where are the laws against restrictive practice when you need them????? Gazer.

:eek:

makes you think twice about signing up...

and it is great that there is people like you out there for the people.

Keeep it free.

Keep up the good work.

Has anyone heard the rumour that Sky-digital can watch you while your watching your TV??

Please post replies...

Dale

FreeTV

I believe you mean M8 that sky-digital can tell what programs you have been watching.
That is done only if your phone line is connected to the dig*tal box so thay can download the box in the evening to retrieve all the information needed.
To watch you thay would need to have a camera fitted in there dig box? i don't think so some how........... :D :D :D

I am desperately trying to find where you can get Sky Digital free viewing cards ,it would be much appreciated if anyone could let me know where i could get one online. :confused:

Back