iPod should i update? (ipod touch)

digidude

Sheep worrier.
VIP Member
Reaction score
i have an older model ipod touch, Version 3.0 (7A341) model MB531BT

ive been looking at some things to download onto it, such as the kiss kube and iplayer, but they all say they need ios 4.0 or higher

i originally bought it off a member here, but cannot remember who, and im pretty sure its jailbroken, i bought it as my 8G one at the time was too new to jailbreak

whats the best way for me to update this so i can have the iplayer etc on it, and is there any way i can get the new 'super bird' in angry birds without having to pay for it lol

tia

if you connect to itunes it should up date for you
as for apps jailbreak again should do you but someone with more insight will better explain

i remember now why ive not updated it lol

i try to update it via itunes (i had to update itunes first as well), it tells me theres an update, downloads the update, processes the download, then tells me that its failed and i need to check my connection settings

i KNOW the network and connection settings is fine, as this PC is connected to the net 24/7

is it possible that its because the ipod is jailbroken and its refusing the update from itunes, and thats making it give the error?

if so, do i restore it? (im sure i tried this before and got the same error though)

if i take it to the apple shop, will they update it for me?

try putting it in recovery mode then update
i would not take it to apple if they see it is jb they will tell you to sod off

try putting it in recovery mode then update
i would not take it to apple if they see it is jb they will tell you to sod off

i know how to fit a flux capacitor to satellite dish to see the bird across the road getting changed, but anything else, im think as shite m8 lol, so im off to google recovery mode lol

is there anything else i need to look for :)

sometimes itunes gives errors for no reason ,trying another pc usually does the trick,had same prob with an iphone last week and an ipod a few months back

put it into recovery mode and trying again, if that fails, ill try it on a different computer :)

you need to look for a camera so when the bird across the road gets changed you can take pics and post on here for us to see lol

sorry digi , i missed your post, What isthe error code its throwing at you digi, ? if itunes wont update a few things you can do , manually update to the latest fw , goto HERE and download the latest fw for your device , the latest fw is 4.2.1 i think for your device which is jail breakable anyway, [download in google chrome or firefox] right file format [ipsw] not rar file, once downloaded open itunes , as you hit restore in itunes hit the shift key at the same time and , a windows prompt box will show up , browse to your downloaded ipsw file , and restore that way , hope you havent set your windows host fil , so that wont be the problem, so its either usb lead , usb port, or the wrong itunes

hopefully that will sort ya problem out
below is how you put your ipod into dfu mode mate
etting your iPod Touch/iPhone into DFU mode is somewhat tricky, and it may require some patience/practice because timing is essential to get it to DFU mode and not into recovery mode.

1. First, Open up iTunes, plug in your iPod Touch/iPhone to the CPU's USB port. Turn on your CPU's speaker and make sure it is loud enough that you can hear it.

2. Hold down the Home button (top left for iPod Touch and top right for the iPhone with the screen facing you) and the Power button (located on the front bottom of your iPod Touch/iPhone) simutaneously, until the screen goes black and the device turns off. (past the red slider/slide to power off screen)

3. Now let go of the Power button, but continue to hold the Home button. Your iPod Touch/iPhone should have turned off and the screen should not be on.

4. After around ~10-20 seconds, you will hear a noise (beep/ding) from your CPU as if it had just recognized a new hardware device, now iTunes should recognize it in DFU mode.

5. After iTunes recognizes the iPod Touch/iPhone, let go of the Home button otherwise it will go into recovery mode and you will have to do the entire DFU process over again.

6. You will know when you have put your iPod Touch/iPhone correctly into DFU mode when the display is blank and that you do not have anything on your device.

managupdate it in the end, using a different laptop AND a new lead, still not updated enough to use iplayer though, and lost most of my music and half my games during the process, even after syncing it on my original PC as well, ah well lol

cheers for all the help though peeps

:)

Back