Shall I swap SKY+ for Humax Foxsat-HDR

tonyk

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello

My sky+ subscription is coming up to its last month.
Im planning to buy a 1080p HD LCD in the next 6 months.

Im wondering what to do??

Option 1. I keep my Sky+ just ongoing?

Option 2. I cancel Sky+ and buy Humax Foxsat-HDR

Option 3. I upgrade to Sky+HD.

Any suggestions welcomed or any other options I may have missed.

Just ring sky tell them your going to leave and see if there can sort out with a nice package which includes sky+ and hd the foxsat-hdr is going to be a great piece of kit but you will never get all the sky hd channels unless your happy with the free ones then in that case just get the foxsat... This is all new to me but im sure some of the other regulars contributors will give their opinion.

It does totally depend on the channels you watch and the value you place on sky channels.

Sky subscription is expensive, and to include HD you are likely going to be paying more than £30 each month, if not more. Its not a fair comparison to compare this with 'free' so you just have to work out if subscription is worth it for what you actually get.

The majority of public viewing figures are for the free channels only so a freesat HD pvr certainly would be the choice of the masses, and it suits my family too, but if you like sky channels then thats what you need.

The alternative upgrade is a european sat system which gets far more than sky subscriptions offer, plus add broadband internet & downloads will mean you'll never miss anything and save a fortune.

However, everyone has different priorities so you need to decide what you like and can afford.

For the same price as the Humax Freesat PVR you could get a Technomate 6900 and an external hard drive, gives you all the channels you get on freesat, plus with your old sky card, C4HD and others that are not available on a freesat box. Ok, so the PVR functions are primitive compared to the Humax and Sky+, but as pinkhelmets says, it opens up a whole world of extra channels you would never get on freesat, with the addition of a motorised dish.

I have recently ditched Sky (had an Echostar AD3000 as well for everything else), which we mainly had for the kids stuff, but as Disney is available on several packages, the kids are happy with the new setup, and more importantly, they can operate it without any problems. Ok so Prem and Polsat are on their last legs, but I still get 1W with my diablo, which has plenty of good stuff :)

The Humax PVR is basically the iCord with the freesat epg system added, you may want to check out this model first to see if it is going to suit your needs. They are not problem free from what I have heard, and the non freesat Humax box has been dogged by teething troubles for a lot of the early adopters. Check out the freesat forums on digitalspy for a good overview.

Back