Build advice Server for Plex/Freenas

mike361

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guy's,

Needing a bit of advice i want to build a server specifically for hosting Freenas and Running Plex Media.

I will then be connecting through either the web interface to stream my media via plex or the plex App.

Can someone spec me something decent that will cope with maybe 2 or 3 devices attached to my server at a time.

haven't really got a budget.

Thanks
Mike

I guess the big questions are will you be transcoding and are you worried about power consumption

In which case something like HP microserver sounds ideal. Seen a few completed listing on fleabay for older N40L for under £100 or slight more for newer N54L (CPU is only difference).

You can do what I have done and install a ATI 5450HD video card for under £20 + XBMC and use if as a playback device as well as NAS. Finally load up SABNZB + Sickbeard + Coachpotato and you have your own ultimate PVR.

In which case something like HP microserver sounds ideal. Seen a few completed listing on fleabay for older N40L for under £100 or slight more for newer N54L (CPU is only difference).

You can do what I have done and install a ATI 5450HD video card for under £20 + XBMC and use if as a playback device as well as NAS. Finally load up SABNZB + Sickbeard + Coachpotato and you have your own ultimate PVR.

I have similar setup N40L with 12tb storage running Unraid and plex server works fine for what I need but eventually I will be moving plex to something more powerful and leaving the files on the N40L

Back