Server Choice

Just be careful with that RAID controller. There is no backing plate, that model is designed to be mounted on the motherboard, you can pick up a blanking plate for around a tenner or make you own. Also there is no write back cache so write performance could be a limitation. Finally the cables are around 15 quid and make sure you get the correct one. There are 2 different a 1-4 fan out cables, one for the internal type connectors (which is what you need) and one for external connectors which is very similar but won't work.

Personally I am using this one, it has RAID 5 + write back cache with BBU.

Dell Perc 5/i SAS/Sata Server Raid Controller With 512mb RAM & Battery Module | eBay

Finally, not sure which NAS you are using but its going to have to be pretty quick, plus of course GB connection to a dedicated NIC on the server.

Just be careful with that RAID controller. There is no backing plate, that model is designed to be mounted on the motherboard, you can pick up a blanking plate for around a tenner or make you own. Also there is no write back cache so write performance could be a limitation. Finally the cables are around 15 quid and make sure you get the correct one. There are 2 different a 1-4 fan out cables, one for the internal type connectors (which is what you need) and one for external connectors which is very similar but won't work.

Personally I am using this one, it has RAID 5 + write back cache with BBU.

Dell Perc 5/i SAS/Sata Server Raid Controller With 512mb RAM & Battery Module | eBay

Finally, not sure which NAS you are using but its going to have to be pretty quick, plus of course GB connection to a dedicated NIC on the server.

Noticed that after I posted, well this evening before I read your post. :) no rush for one to be honest, will look around as ideally would prefer HP.

It's a QNAP TS-412, 2 x GB connections to the switch, however I'll likely to be buying a HP Procurve (model yet to be decided), that is if I don't find one in work ;)

I sorted the iLO license last night.

Back