OS Server 2012 Password Question

hatab

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi just a quickie win server 2012 r2

What is the default history length of time for a password ie before you can re-use it ?

I have installed this on my server at home after many years of good service with server2003 decided it was time to upgrade and one thing i failed to do was change the admin password to never expire.

As i don't always log on to server i think after 30 days the admin password is past the date and it has to be changed to log on.

Normally it wouldn't matter but like many servers there are apps and services (backups etc) that run as scheduled tasks without me logging on and the password is in the services.

I changed password and then into AD and forced me to change again logged out and back in and it wont let me use the old password (history)

I am sorted ive changed password in the scheduled tasks but i just wondered what the history variable is set to ? and is it available to look at anywhere or is it just in the registry.

TIA

Default is 24 passwords remembered if I recall correctly. You can change it (and other password-related stuff) in Group Policy Management under:

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Account Policies\Password Policy

Thanks Him Her

yes 24 passwords with a 42 day with each

Back