Serial eBay fraudster gets two years for £14,000 swindles

hamba

Inactive User
Reaction score
Serial eBay fraudster gets two years for £14,000 swindles

A serial internet fraudster was jailed for the second time yesterday after conning thousands of pounds from eBay customers. Phillip Shortman, a 20-year-old father of two from Cwmbran, Wales, made £14,200 in cash and goods after failing to post items he had "sold" under false names and not paying for parcels sent to him.

He was given a two-year sentence yesterday at Newport crown court after admitting five counts of deception and asking for a further 32 offences to be taken into account.

Shortman was sentenced to a year's detention in 2005 after swindling eBay users out of £45,000. In January he was given an eight-month sentence, suspended for two years. When he appeared in court in May for breaching that sentence, he was given a curfew order and told that it was his last chance to reform.

He was due to be sentenced last Friday for the new offences but he missed his court appearance because he was being interviewed by Dyfed Powys police about an offence committed this month. This involved the collection of a Vauxhall Astra from a man in Hay-on-Wye, mid Wales, who later found he would not receive the agreed £850 price because Shortman had used a false PayPal account.

The court heard that Shortman also failed to pay for a £250 laptop he ordered. When the seller got in touch to complain, Shortman responded by sending abusive emails to him.

Laurence Jones, defending, said Shortman was "obsessed" with defrauding customers of eBay.

Judge David Morris said: "Internet trading depends on trust and honesty. When those like you deceive purchasers and vendors over the internet, it strikes at the system as a whole and brings otherwise respectable trading institutions and individuals into overall disrepute."

For the five deception offences and the breach of his suspended sentence, Shortman received a total sentence of 24 months' detention in a young offenders' institution.

An eBay spokesman said the company was delighted by the sentence given to Shortman.

Helen Pidd
Wednesday August 22, 2007
Guardian Unlimited
© Guardian News and Media Limited 2007

it strikes at the system as a whole and brings otherwise respectable trading institutions and individuals into overall disrepute."

Helen Pidd
Wednesday August 22, 2007
Guardian Unlimited
© Guardian News and Media Limited 2007

are they saying that about ebay? lmfao

how can you order stuff and not pay for them, dont you have to pay first lol

There's many a way and means to be dishonest. That ain't my bag, but I pity the poor sods who have been ripped off. I've only ever been ripped off three times, and it's three times too many.

Ebay used to be good, it's now full of moneysnatchers. Buying abroad sometimes brings back the old spirit, but you have to be choosy who you buy from!

Cheers

commsspy

just an old spook thats off the hook

he does pay for them.... but fraudulently then when the seller comes looking for their money he tries to bully them. not a clever way to make a living because eventually u will get caught unless u have no other way of making money and dont mind doing some time like this guy

There's many a way and means to be dishonest. That ain't my bag, but I pity the poor sods who have been ripped off. I've only ever been ripped off three times, and it's three times too many.

Ebay used to be good, it's now full of moneysnatchers. Buying abroad sometimes brings back the old spirit, but you have to be choosy who you buy from!

Cheers

commsspy

just an old spook thats off the hook

I couldn't agree with u more m8,long gone those days...

Back