Selling gold

The Dentist

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys wondered if anyone knows anything about selling gold?

The missus has loads of jewellery that she never wears and wants to sell the to help out with the house purchase.
I don't want to go to the local pawn shop or anything want it done properly and get good price.

Are there any tips as to where to go or what to look out for?

I took mine to 2 local jewellers and took best price, only a couple of £ difference got £110 for a few old rings and some broken earings

How would I work out how much I would roughly get?

I've measured the amount in grams.

If you are in the central London take a walk down Hatton Garden, plenty of shops down there.
Work mate of mine sold his mum's old gold (rings, bracelets/charms & necklace) was paid in cash, got £100 more than the quoted price from gold buyers in Kent.
Use goldprice.org
If you have coins they may be worth more money, if in mint condition may be worth selling at an auction for an enthusiast/collector to buy.

Yeah def, shop around, some offer far more than others. We had loads of bits n bobs we bagged them up all up and I spent I few hours tredging round. If I can remember rightly I think there was about £100 difference between the worse and the best on about £900 worth of scrap.

As already said check gold prices on line and remember to check the carat rating on each piece because the price varies quite a bit between 9 carat and 24 carat gold, then a visit to a jewellers is the next call because some pieces of jewellery may have a retail value rather than a scrap value.

Back