Security lights

zad

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to put 1 or 2 security lights up on my shed, one pointed to the log / coal store and one back into the garden. We currently have one on our conservatory pointing in to the garden at one end and its halogen.

My question is are the 10w LED security lights any good? or should I just stick with lower watt halogen?

Not sure of the quality of the LED floodlights , but they can be quite expensive. I have just bought normal 500 w flood lights and am getting 10 watt led lamps for them , works out a lot cheaper. Had this set up in my old house , they are good enough for a smallish garden.

Not sure of the quality of the LED floodlights , but they can be quite expensive. I have just bought normal 500 w flood lights and am getting 10 watt led lamps for them , works out a lot cheaper. Had this set up in my old house , they are good enough for a smallish garden.

Got a link to which your getting please :)

I fitted a 10W one in my workshop- if I had the choice, I would certainly go for 20W min, 10W is a bit disappointing. Take no notice of the makers' / sellers' claims, I'd say the 10W equates rough;y to 60W filament.

Amazon do some good led floodlights approx £15 to £25

Are you talking about security lights ? 10w is equivalent to around 60w at best, you definitely want something more beefy.

Really? Installed dozens of 10w and they're fine? About £15-20 a pop with PIR and good for about 35,000 hours. They take the 'gloom' off but 20w are better at about £30.

Retro-fit lamps are good but the housing still suffers from weathering so slightly cheaper but doesn't last as long. Enclosed LED are sealed and generally last longer but are not repairable.

Up to you. Personally, I'd go with LED sealed units.

Really? Installed dozens of 10w and they're fine? About £15-20 a pop with PIR and good for about 35,000 hours. They take the 'gloom' off but 20w are better at about £30.

Retro-fit lamps are good but the housing still suffers from weathering so slightly cheaper but doesn't last as long. Enclosed LED are sealed and generally last longer but are not repairable.

Up to you. Personally, I'd go with LED sealed units.

We just installed some 100w LED floodlights at the school. Equivalent to around 500w in old money. That gives pretty good light up to around 20m to 25m away, good enough for a good image on CCTV camera.

I thought all you northerns had massive gardens, lol

haha yeah but not fecking football pitch size!! its only to light an area tbh but just didn't want the hassle of opening the shed up to turn the light on so thought the pit ones would be better. The twin head ones would probably be better with GU10 bulbs I can swap out for LED?

I use a 20w dusk till dawn in my back garden which is about 30ft sq and it lights it up well. it cost me about £25 from eBay. I did have a 50w LED but it's in total darkness and backs onto open woods so I needed low light 24/7 and the 20w is as bright as the 50w.

Back