Sensible Topic Scottish Independence worth £500

Scots are utterly disillusioned with the independence referendum debate

All is currently quiet on the northern front. The arrival of the Commonwealth Games has created a rare lull in the independence debate. Both sides have retreated to their respective offices, quietly holding lengthy planning meetings and lining up troops for the final push.

Being in the eye of the storm – that calm before the maelstrom of claim and counter-claim returns in early August – it seems an apt moment to take stock of the campaign. In particular, one depressing truth largely overlooked deserves proper attention – Scottish voters are utterly disillusioned with the state of the debate.

More HERE

Why would Scotland want to stay in the UK. London and the South East have already left the UK. That is where all the investment takes place. It will take years for the recovery to reach the rest of the UK. Until then, north of Watford, the closed libraries, third world road and rail infrastructure, high unemployment and food banks will remain relatively unchanged. Roll on September............

Unfortunately people like @morilihochili are unable to see past the their SNP hatred despite the fact they have done good things for our country. Free Higher Eduction, Free Prescriptions etc.

Of course there are risks involved in both directory. Heres a risk if we vote no : Fears of block grant cut if No vote as London Mayor latest to attack Barnett Formula

NHS Privatization - You trying to tell me its not going to happen here next? Aye right.

Vote Yes is not a vote for salmond. sigh.

@bigbadblue05 Im not so sure. I think its going to go down to the wire. One things for certain this has created a massive boost in the amount of people interested in politics.

If your happy to pay £25 quid each vist to the NHS, Let london suck up all our taxes, and work until your 78 and not have your kids go to collage because the Barnett formulas been cut, Vote no.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if it was to happen you could be worth a fortune, get a punt on yourself @Joe1989 .
This is what l*dbrokes think. ;)..

Should they stay or should they go? That is the question on many a Scotsman’s mind. The pro-independece call have taken a slight hit in recent weeks, with polls suggesting the number of people planning to vote yes is on the wain. But with First Minister Alex Salmond claiming that Scotland could be £15bn better off after five years of separation from the UK, some minds are surely there for the turning.

Scotland to say NO to Independence Price 1/7.
Scotland to say YES to Independence Price 9/2.

Last edited by a moderator:
And lad brooks have never been wrong? Never lost a bet?

Do your remember the polls from the last Scottish election? - SNP where no where near a majority - Look what happened.

It's all still to play for. Latest TCM poll show a swing of 4 points to the yes vote and a drop in No votes to undecided!

Yes, I remember that vote and maybe i voted for them ? and maybe i didn't ?,But that was only the Scottish Election not the Referendum which is totally different,either way they have done a not too bad a job of running Scotland, i will admit that,but all kidding aside i still don't think it's going to happen come September as i think the Scott's are not Stupid enough to listen to all his bullshit.. and honestly..there is a'lot ...even the fact we need to keep the immigration doors open to a level to fund a separate Scotland should be, and will be enough to put a'lot of voters off,but nobody from SNP at my door has told me that is what they will need...why.?......maybe cause they will loose more votes again..?...good chance...i think.

Not long now! Just 4 more weeks before the big vote. When Mikhail Gorbechev started allowing more freedom in the giant USSR do you think that the Baltic, Balkan and East European countries were worried about staying with the Russian rouble currency ? No way, They knew they could manage in the transitional period until their own currency, revenue services and governmental structure were in place. OK, this transition was a bit painful for a few years but they shrugged off the shackles of the repressive USSR and now the majority of these small countries are free and democratic. So we need a new currency. We can call it the Scottish pound and will exchange one BOE pound for one Scottish pound. Problem solved.

I'm not sure if an economist would agree with you there. :Laugh:

Who gives a sh*t for what the Economist thinks. It is a business newspaper after all and they are worried about how much profit they can make from Scotland as part of the UK. The UK is already bankrupt to the tune of £1500 billion, and rising by £400 Million every day.
If interest rates rise above 6% UK plc will join Greece and southern European countries in the workhouse when debt interest payments exceed the world bank percentage criteria with respect to its gross Nation product. The Uk economy is based primarily on banking and low wage service industries and we all know how reliable the banking sector is. The prospect of the NO vote winning the referendum means more of the status quo, HS2 in 2070, (mibbies), more investment and infrastructure spending south of Watford and another generation of rule by a bunch of public schoolboys who have not got a clue about what is really going on !!,

Who gives a sh*t for what the Economist thinks. It is a business newspaper after all and they are worried about how much profit they can make from Scotland as part of the UK. The UK is already bankrupt to the tune of £1500 billion, and rising by £400 Million every day.
If interest rates rise above 6% UK plc will join Greece and southern European countries in the workhouse when debt interest payments exceed the world bank percentage criteria with respect to its gross Nation product. The Uk economy is based primarily on banking and low wage service industries and we all know how reliable the banking sector is. The prospect of the NO vote winning the referendum means more of the status quo, HS2 in 2070, (mibbies), more investment and infrastructure spending south of Watford and another generation of rule by a bunch of public schoolboys who have not got a clue about what is really going on !!,

:roflmao:

Well, first, Scotland is free to use the UK pound (as is every other country in the World should they wish). Creating a fictitious Scottish Pound with a 1:1 exchange rate with the UK pound? Lol!

As for the rest of your post...well, if I comment I'll just get an infracty-wotsit! Crossword clue starting 'I' and ending 'T', 5 letters, take a guess :)

Comment....I dare you.!!! :Biggrin2:

Okay. The UK is already bankrupt? Yes it is, as is pretty much every other country in the World. That's how fiat banking works and the World is tied to the US Dollar. Why do you think BRICS are working towards a competing fiat system ffs? Why are some pushing Bitcoin?

If interest rates rise above 6%? Lol, we'll all be totally fooked, especially bankers, so that could be why the EU just brought in new stimuli through even LOWER interest rates then?

If the UK economy was based on banking and low-wage service industry today we would have been bust years ago.

Jeez, you're so far off the pace you may as well be Back to the Future ffs!

The big arguement given by the Yes vote always seems to be about Scotland being run by Parliament in London who have no interest in Scotland, which is true, but in the big scale of things an Independant Scotland will end up being run by a Parliament in Brussels, who will be even less interested in Scotland except to screw even more money from them and restrict fishing and farming policies and utilise what is left of the Oil and Gas Industry in the interests of the rest of the EU.
So, far from gaining more control on what happens in Scotland they will end up with much less power and be nothing but a lap dog to the EU.

far from gaining more control on what happens in Scotland they will end up with much less power and be nothing but a lap dog to the EU.

That's assuming they are allowed to join the EU ?

That's assuming they are allowed to join the EU ?

Unless a member "state" wields its veto*, they'll be allowed. (*Probably Spain or Belgium, as what's left of the UK will either vote yes or abstain.)

It's the time frame that's causing most speculation at the moment. Automatic entry on 24th March 2016 vs expedited membership within 2 years vs no sooner than 5 years after independence (i.e. back of the line).

To be honest which ever way the vote goes the UK needs to look at it's political set up. Quite rightly, English MPs have no say over matters devolved to the Scottish Parliament, Welsh or Northern Ireland Assemblies - yet the converse is not true. Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish MPs are free to, and have the right to, vote on Bills before Parliament that will only affect English constituents.

Back