Sciatica

Evastar

Inactive User
Reaction score
What You Need to Know About Sciatica
By: Stephen H. Hochschuler, MD

The term sciatica describes the symptoms of leg pain and possibly tingling, numbness or weakness that originates in the low back and travels through the buttock and down the large sciatic nerve in the back of the leg.

The vast majority of people who experience sciatica get better with time (usually a few weeks or months) and find pain relief with non-surgical sciatica treatment. For others, however, sciatic nerve pain can be severe and debilitating.

Sciatica is often characterized by the following symptoms:

Pain on one side of the buttock or in one leg that is worse when sitting
Burning or tingling down the leg
Weakness, numbness or difficulty moving the leg or foot
A constant pain on one side of the rear
A sharp pain that may make it difficult to stand up or to walk

The clinical diagnosis of sciatica is referred to as a "radiculopathy", which simply means that a disc has protruded from its normal position in the vertebral column and is putting pressure on the radicular nerve (nerve root) in the lower back, which forms part of the sciatic nerve.

Note that sciatica is not a medical diagnosis, but rather a symptom of an underlying problem in the lower back (such as a herniated disc or spinal stenosis that is compressing or irritating the nerve roots). This is an important distinction because it is the underlying diagnosis (vs. the symptoms of sciatica) that often needs to be treated in order to relieve sciatic nerve pain.

Sciatica occurs most frequently in people between 30 and 50 years of age. Often a particular event or injury does not cause sciatica, but rather the sciatic pain over time tends to develop as a result of general wear and tear on the structures of the lower spine.

Sciatica symptoms

For some people, the pain from sciatica can be severe and debilitating. For others, the pain might be infrequent and irritating, but has the potential to get worse.

While sciatica can be very painful, it is rare that permanent sciatic nerve damage (tissue damage) will result. Most sciatica symptoms result from inflammation and will get better within two weeks to a few months. Also, because the spinal cord is not present in the lower (lumbar) spine, a herniated disc in this area of the anatomy does not present a danger of paralysis.

While relatively rare, two sciatica-related symptoms that warrant prompt medical attention and possibly emergency surgery, include: progressive weakness in the leg, and either bladder or bowel incontinence or dysfunction. Patients with either of these symptoms may have cauda equina syndrome and should seek immediate medical attention.

Sciatica medical definition: radiculopathy

To clarify medical terminology, the term sciatica (often misspelled as ciatica, cyatica or siatica) is often used very broadly to describe any form of pain that radiates into the leg, however, this is not technically correct. True sciatica occurs when the sciatic nerve is pinched or irritated and the pain along the sciatic nerve is caused by this nerve (radicular pain) and is called a radiculopathy. When the pain is referred to the leg from a joint problem (called referred pain), using the term sciatica is not technically correct. This type of referred pain (e.g. from arthritis or other joint problems) is quite common.

Sciatica treatment

Sciatica nerve pain is caused by a combination of pressure and inflammation on the nerve root, and treatment is centered on relieving both of these factors. Typical sciatica treatment include:

Non-surgical sciatica treatments, which may include one or a combination of medical treatments and alternative (non-medical) treatments, and almost always includes some form of back exercises and stretching. The goals of non-surgical sciatica treatment, such as sciatica exercises, should include both relief of sciatica pain and prevention of future sciatica pain.

Sciatica surgery, such as microdiscectomy or lumbar laminectomy and discectomy, to remove the portion of the disc that is irritating the nerve root. This surgery is designed to help relieve both the pressure and inflammation and may be warranted if the sciatic nerve pain is severe and has not been relieved with appropriate manual or medical treatments.

http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/sciatica/sciatica-causes

I currently have this. I've had an MRI and it's the L4/L5 lumar disk thats ruptured and pressure on my right leg nerve to my big toe of all things! weakness in my foot and EXTREME pain when it's bad. currently on tramadol and gabapentine for pain relief. i want the surgery but as always the doctors advice is 'lose weight and exercise more' and if it doesn't get better we may consider surgery. Been over a year now on this medication - not fun

I know a mate that has this too, would not wish this for anyone - sometimes he can not move for a week, just there on his back looking at the ceiling eating painkillers - not nice

I know a mate that has this too, would not wish this for anyone - sometimes he can not move for a week, just there on his back looking at the ceiling eating painkillers - not nice

i was unable to move for about 5 days out of bed, not even to the loo! i held it in till day 5 then crawled there - took 45 mins to get across the landing!!!

i was unable to move for about 5 days out of bed, not even to the loo! i held it in till day 5 then crawled there - took 45 mins to get across the landing!!!

These are the types of things he tells me too, lucky he has someone to bring him food else I dont know what he would do, unable to eat or go toilet, cant even think abt it to be honest - feel for all you suferers

have had this for three years m8s.really getting me down,have tried all sorts of pain medication.attending pain clinic at the present so far a waste of time,the clinic give you an epidural in the spine plus medication, other than feeling like sleeping all the time no relief at all.

Thats what my mate says as well, nothing helps as much as bed - medicines dont work

has anyone tried or recommend any alternative medicine or therapy for this? like accupuncture and so on?

I had this about 6-7 years ago and remember the pain well, it brought me to tears on a number of ocassions as the pain was that intense!

I could not stand for long periods of time, had to keep moving and driving was sheer agony.

Geting rid of my car helped as it had low slung sports seats.

We changed to an MPV and that made a world of diffrence, as the driving position is more upright like a van.

In the end Walking actually helped, it strengthened some of my lower back and leg muscles.

That and spending time in the gym on the abdominal crush machine.

I still have a back problem, which flares up from time to time, but thats more muscular.

Have not been to the gym for about 3yrs now, so that may be part of the problem and the fact that i drive about 52,000 a year.

My injury stems back to a motorbike crash over 20years ago and has left me with the bottom 2 vertabrea fused together, resulting is loss of range of movement (so no touching my toes for me !).

All of the injuries have not stopped me from getting on with life, i just know my limitations and as i get older what not to try and do.

A good and understanding sports injury guy who does alternative therapies keeps me in check when i need him.

That and help from Eva with her healing works for me.

So i do sympathise with all those that suffer with Sciatica, but thankfully for me it has eased over the years, to the point wher i dont notice it.

Either that or my brain got so used to the pain its blocked it out, lol

I know what thats like, i tore a major muscle in Jan this year and i remember being in tears with the pain.
Getting to the loo took forever and i needed crutches to walk about the house like an old man of 90.

Prescription pain killers, just took the edge of it and could not afford the time off.
So in complete stupidity i went back to work after a week, in agony and just worked with the pain.

It was a major deciding factor in me applying for my present Job, as i needed to get away from everyday physical torture.

Now im more management based, so i work on the tools when i feel like it ( its still good physical excercise) and know when to stop.

Im going to take Legal action against my ex employer as it has affected my working and home life.

He thinks i wont because of my existing spinal injury, but the muscle tear was nothing to do with it and a seperate injury!

failure to do any risk assesment for the job and failing to record the incident and use the proper reporting procedure , means i stand a very good chance of winning any case by default !

Im going to seek Legal advice on my position, before i proceed.

The only reason i have left it this long, was to see if things got better.

Paying me in full for my time off speaks volumes in Silence money.

Nearly a year on and not a day goes by without enduring some degree of pain and suffering caused by the injury.

I have just learned to live with it and manage it as best as i can.

It makes me angry when some people claim for incapacity benefit with injuries less disabilitating than mine and yet i choose to work and provide for my family.

Its a matter of pride and i enjoy my job!

Back