"School Refusal" condition

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Wtf else are they going to put a name to ?, Kick his arse to school the lazy get:-
'I had an interest in school - but zero help'

"No work Monday condition"

"Compulsive white Lightening disorder"

"Compulsive Fast food condition"

"Exertitus, scared of gyms"

"Paintbrush syndrome", the fear of decorating

Tbh they might have a point, I suffer from "Acute Kebab disorder" and "Hang over fatigue" but that one's only on a Sunday morning,

Sorry all day Sunday

Mental Health is a serious thing one of the guys in that piece tried to commit suicide because of anxiety caused by school and I can relate to it

My point is, there is name given for every condition under the sun. We invent them daily. Why is everything suddenly a mental health issue ?. It's either given a name or tablet
Has anyone ever thought that it could all be fueling it's own fire ?. We all get fed up, p*ssed off, low in life but not everything is a mental health issue or needs a name or a medicine.
It's all fine too too far in my book. Yep granted ppl do suffer for mental health issue but as soon as it's mentioned a label gets stuck on to say this is what it is or a pill bottle is given

My point is, there is name given for every condition under the sun. We invent them daily. Why is everything suddenly a mental health issue ?. It's either given a name or tablet
Has anyone ever thought that it could all be fueling it's own fire ?. We all get fed up, p*ssed off, low in life but not everything is a mental health issue or needs a name or a medicine.
It's all fine too too far in my book. Yep granted ppl do suffer for mental health issue but as soon as it's mentioned a label gets stuck on to say this is what it is or a pill bottle is given

In 2017 there were approximately 5,821 registered deaths by suicide in the United Kingdom, equating to an average of 16 suicides per day in the country. Suicide is the single biggest killer of men under the age of 45 in the country. Thats a bit more than being pissed off or fed up, Recognizing and stigmatizing mental health issues is the 1st rung of the ladder in reducing that rate.

Kids are clever, labelling it school Refusal means the doors wide open for abuse and believe you me they will.
As for suicide ? I've lost 5 good friends to it non for not wanting to go to school.
Not everyone with mental illness = suicide but some like to think it's were it leads to.

My point is why label every fookin illness with a tab ?,

Kids are clever, labelling it school Refusal means the doors wide open for abuse and believe you me they will.
As for suicide ? I've lost 5 good friends to it non for not wanting to go to school.
Not everyone with mental illness = suicide but some like to think it's were it leads to.

My point is why label every fookin illness with a tab ?,

Why not label things if it helps diagnosis and treatment, I don't want to see someone dying of cancer because it has not been diagnosed. Mental health needs to be diagnosed in the same way as physical health.

I feel for you losing 5 friends to suicide that is an awful lot, maybe if they had had proper help it would not of happened. Some kids are bullied and traumatized at school and the experience lives with them forever with never telling anyone about it. Just because it did not happen to you does not mean it does not happen to others

On a serious note if I may? It doesn't always come down to labelling something and shoving pills down someones throat, but sometimes medication is necessary. I also used to think the same about kids trying it on, and obviously some do, but once you've had to kick a door in and fight a teenager to prize a knife from their hands, or grab their legs and pull them down when they've tried to hang themselves, you start to realise the true effect of mental health and how somebody who can be laughing and joking one minute can turn at the click and feel like being dead is the only way to stop the pain. Anybody can be surrounded by loving family and friends and yet still feel alone, or all the love and care given to them and yet still think death is the only solution.

Sustained counselling, and then CBT, DBT, psychologists and psychiatrists is always the preferred way, but it can take years to get it escalated to that point because the system is so poorly funded.

I could go into a lot more detail on this about personality disorders and being on a spectrum usually means different traits of several different conditions, making it a lot harder and sometimes impossible to put a definitive label on it, and they often fuels the pain as a very high percentage of teenagers suffering from this are desperate for a label so they know what it is, because many can't explain a cause for why they feel like this.

Standing outside looking in makes that sound crazy but it really is a true problem.

I just wish I could go back in time and shoot all those involved with the creation of social media as for a lot of teenagers its a cesspit of hatred that spurs people on to cause others extreme pain without getting their hands dirty.

I know that's not exactly what you're getting @silverdale, but just to play devils advocate it is soemthing that exists and can really destroy lives not just of kids, but family and friends around them.

School Refusal though ? come on let's not pussy round here, who invented that Kevin and Perry ?, I'm just not having that now way.
What about Clean your bedroom sydrome?.

It was pointed out in another thread regarding gender and sex change. I'd have a guess that there's about 20-25 versions of gender ?.
I'm not arguing about mental FFS I'm on about sub grouping them for the sake. If your been bullied, anxiety, depression I get it thats unless you wanna sub divide it into "School dinner queue disorder".
It's a case of:- "Well if he doesn't want or doesn't like then he must have something, I know let's call it......."All my backside.

I'll give you a for instance, so some years ago my son when he was 3-5 years old was a rip and I mean a rip. Always screaming biting throwing you name it never slept.
No one visited us, couldn't take him anywhere , kicked out of playgroups nearly split us up.

I went the doctors seeking help advise. I'll tell you what fookin got?., He has ADHD and the offer of a selections of meds for him.
I refused flat and said that's bollocks. I took him to a family centre who deal with kids like that and who taught me and the missus how to deal with him with techniques and within 12 months we had a 100% turn around.
And you know what they staff their said ? The majority of the time it's the parents who don't know how or set a bad example.
If I had of listened to my doctor's easy way out I might just have a son with mental health problems hooked on drugs since a child.

Were now heading into a society were screwed up adults are now having kids, sticking tablets and phones to view every kind of atrocity imaginable and then we wonder why they all get a label.

School Refusal though ? come on let's not pussy round here, who invented that Kevin and Perry ?, I'm just not having that now way.
What about Clean your bedroom sydrome?.

It was pointed out in another thread regarding gender and sex change. I'd have a guess that there's about 20-25 versions of gender ?.
I'm not arguing about mental FFS I'm on about sub grouping them for the sake. If your been bullied, anxiety, depression I get it thats unless you wanna sub divide it into "School dinner queue disorder".
It's a case of:- "Well if he doesn't want or doesn't like then he must have something, I know let's call it......."All my backside.

I'll give you a for instance, so some years ago my son when he was 3-5 years old was a rip and I mean a rip. Always screaming biting throwing you name it never slept.
No one visited us, couldn't take him anywhere , kicked out of playgroups nearly split us up.

I went the doctors seeking help advise. I'll tell you what fookin got?., He has ADHD and the offer of a selections of meds for him.
I refused flat and said that's bollocks. I took him to a family centre who deal with kids like that and who taught me and the missus how to deal with him with techniques and within 12 months we had a 100% turn around.
And you know what they staff their said ? The majority of the time it's the parents who don't know how or set a bad example.
If I had of listened to my doctor's easy way out I might just have a son with mental health problems hooked on drugs since a child.

Were now heading into a society were screwed up adults are now having kids, sticking tablets and phones to view every kind of atrocity imaginable and then we wonder why they all get a label.

I am not saying that every child that gets labeled should be, far from it. And I am not saying that all adults taking antidepressants should be taking them, far from it. What I am saying is that for some kids going to school is terrifying and you are making small of that

Do you think this new ? Sh1t scared of going school ??. If your anywhere near my age bullying and getting the 7 shades kicked out of you was the norm and teachers laughed and some watched on. The name we gave it was "Sh1t scared syndrome".
And in my day you had junior/middle/high school so you got it 3 times. They were tougher times for sure but but no Facebook or Instagram so............

I'm not making small of mental health, I'm making small of some of the bullsh*t labels they decide to tag people with, utter bullux. We beg to differ , your opinion my opinon.

Last edited:
I agree that we beg to differ, what was acceptable 30 years ago is not acceptable now it called progress

Yeah I can see your point about the need to continually subdivide things. Anxiety is anxiety after all, for arguments sake here, but sometimes its a unique recipe of several existing conditions that there is no label for. I'd rather they just called it some root form of a condition and then just treat the individual appropriately.

The problem with GP's diagnosing like that and handing out pills has really had a bashing these days and is being cracked down on. A GP doesn't have the expertise or time to make a diagnoses like that and it should be referred onto the appropriate department. They'll soon know whether some kid is trying it on or not, and also spot signs that might point to something else completely. It's not a 1 or 2 appointment diagnosis thing but of course, the funding isn't there to resource this and people fall through the gaps or are drugged up unnecessary.

It's true it can go the other way into a nanny state and sometimes the laws of the playground are about toughening up a bit and standing up for themselves, but it's important to recognise the signs when that doesn't work.

As for things in the past, god even a decade ago, there are so many mispracticed/misunderstood things that have passed by. I read once and I can't remember the exact figure but was so shocked to hear the number of people 30+ years of age that have far more than a mild form of undiagnosed autism. Sometimes there is no solution, sometimes it's medication, sometimes its about recognising symptoms when they show and relearning techniques of coping.

30 or 40 years ago they'd have been sent on a weekend retreat to a Jimmy Saville meet and greet weekend, and we all know how that turned out :)

I see were your coming from but at the end of the day if you paint a turd it's still a turd no matter how many names you give it.
You can't tell me having a condition were you don't wanna go to school ain't open to abuse I don't don't what is. Then the moment someone stands up to it the fookin do gooders start waving their hankies in disgust.
There's friggin kids of 4-5 under child psychologist. My lad was helped by clever techniques teaching both him and us.
If you want my opinion?, Look at home first before blaming others and then giving it a bollox of a name for the sake of it. Everyone seems these days to be pigeon holed, why ?, So they can make money ??.
I wish I could cure my condition
"Sunday Chinese syndrome" I'm sat here like a bloated beach whale totally disgusted in myself.
I need therapy

Last edited:
I agree that we beg to differ, what was acceptable 30 years ago is not acceptable now it called progress
Progress in some areas granted but the more you ad you do nothing more than ad to the problem.
If School Refusal condition is progress then were in bigger mess than we would like to think. More choice is not necessarily progress.

I was going to paint the bedroom today but I've just had to explain to the wife in a rational kind of way my long term condition "Fluffy Pillow Attack", their everywhere up here !!

You really are dismissive of people who have genuine mental health issues, with attitudes like yours its is no wonder that people do not ask for help and we have the suicide rate that we do.

That's were your wrong, totally off the mark, infact your that far off the mark your border lining on been in the wrong thread.
I said earlier depression anxiety theres a host of names already out there that cover most mental illness in one shape or form which I am not dismissive off, sorry to disappoint there nurse Jon.

I agree mental illness is a very serious issue but do we need a fookin name for every tiny variation within mental illness ?no we do not. "School Refusal" I ask you, once kids get a gang of this like the juveniles get away with a slap on the wrist for joy riding there'll be more at home than in school.

You a teacher Jon :):):)

OK so you agree that depression, and anxiety exist. Do you agree that there are triggers for such?

Back