Samsung Blueray Player or PS3?

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at getting a blueray player the new samsung bd3600 looks really good but no mkv support... or alternative is PS3? Is this one a no brainer?

btw I have tried media streamers like the Popcorn Hour A-110 and HDX-1000 but my TV doesnt support 24fps so most of the films I try to watch through them are no good.

I would go for the Ps3 mate, as it can handle everythink i have thrown at it. You can stream movies across, copy mult movie formats across via usb, play blueray rips "cough cough" it's much more than a games machine it's a media centre.
Plus in alot of mags the Ps3 comes out well for overall testing compaired to many blueray players.
What i will say tho if you go for a blueray player check the HDMI output and make sure you get one with 1.3. As then you will beable to enjoy the new audio formats like Dolby True HD and DTS HD as well with improved picture quaity. The ps3 has 1.3 output as well

Looking at getting a blueray player the new samsung bd3600 looks really good but no mkv support... or alternative is PS3? Is this one a no brainer?

PS3 doesn't support MKV either.

was wondering when witchy would turn up, he must have a sixth sense abt threads with the words ps3 in them lol

he's right tho blueray player, nor the PS3 don't play MKV's they have to be transcoded first by the computer then sent to the PS3 and quailty will be lost in the process.

other then encode MKV's urself which is very very very long, I tend to look for stuff in
avchd format. The ps3 plays them and many blueray players do as well. Then you get just put the films on DL and enjoy full HD

the advantage of ps3 that maybe in the future some type of home brew may come out to run mkv

I think the solution will come from Sony themselves rather than a hack of sorts.

BTW, cg010169, I'm now the proud owner of yet another PS3 - 80gb, PS2 compatible etc, lol

I bought it on eBay for £111 as it was YLOD, I fixed it and it has been running fine now for 2 weeks :)

Now I just need someone to loan me Killzone II

;)

I think the solution will come from Sony themselves rather than a hack of sorts.

BTW, cg010169, I'm now the proud owner of yet another PS3 - 80gb, PS2 compatible etc, lol

I bought it on eBay for £111 as it was YLOD, I fixed it and it has been running fine now for 2 weeks :)

Now I just need someone to loan me Killzone II

;)

someone get me the smelling salts, witchy has a ps3 again lol

There is a rumour that MKV will be added to the PS3 but thats just hear say at the moment. If Microsoft added it tomorrow then it would be on the PS3 in no time.

Im tempted to go with the PS3 as its about the same price compared to the Blue Ray player I want which actually beats the is a better player than the PS3 according to the reviews...

But saying that I hardly ever play games and its bit of a over kill if I only use for movies :S I dunno will have to have a think and see what price I can get one for.

Thanks for the input folks

I'd definately go for the PS3 before a standalone Blu-Ray machine.

You can play games, play Divx, transocde other HD formats like MKV, surf the Internet and even search for a cure for cancer, not many standalone players capable of doing that :)

the bad thing about PS3 is half-way through a bluray film and the fans go off like a typhoon fighterjet and you cant hear anything else said in the flick!

not for me :grayno:

the bad thing about PS3 is half-way through a bluray film and the fans go off like a typhoon fighterjet and you cant hear anything else said in the flick!

Can't hardly hear my fan when it kicks in, you sure ur not on about the xbox360:Laugh:

Can you use optical out whilst using hdmi with the PS3?

Sounds llike you are heading for a YLOD mate :)

If you want HD audio from your BR player then you'll need one with 5.1 analogue outs if you don't have a HD audio capable AVR. The PS3 can only pass HD audio through HDMI if you have a suitable receiver that supports HD audio via HDMI.

Personally I'd go for a cheap stand alone player with analogue outs.

My reciever is a all in one home cinema system so it only has optical in no video input.

Then if you can't listen to the HD Audio.

I'd go for the cheapest solution unless you plan on PS3 gaming. If you want to use the PS3 then:

PS3 HDMI out to TV
PS3 Optical out into your receiver

Personally i would go for the PS3 as i have done it plays anything i thow at it dvd backup wise even 720 blu ray backups np at all and the upscalling for me cannot be beaten i dont play games and im more than happy to use it just for Films.No fan noise for me either.

Whats the best deal currently available on PS3?

Back