S.A.D (Seasonal Affective Disorder) Lamps Zero VAT Rated for Consumers

skinz

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought in case anyone else would be interested in something I found out over the last few days.

I get the winter blues sometimes and I was wondering if it could be S.A.D (Seasonal Affective Disorder)

Seasonal affective disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I have been thinking about buying a lamp to see if they could help in my case.

SAD.org.uk - Seasonal Affective Disorder | SAD | Winter Blues - UK Voluntary Organisation providing Information, Advice and Answers

Anyway I narrowed down my choice to 3 devices and while looking around I found out that these products can be classed as zero rated for VAT purposes.

HM Revenue & Customs: Equipment and vehicles for disabled people might be free of VAT

So savings of 20% can be made on purchase price and as I was thinking of using Amazon as they are the cheapest for the one that I want. I came across a number of addresses to submit vat claims too. Not sure what I am going to do. Maybe I’ll wait till the January sales. But I thought this information may help someone now.

As I understand I would need to complete a self declaration certificate in order to claim VAT relief and send it to

EU Sarl t/a Amazon.co.uk, Patriot Court, 1-9 The Grove, Slough, SL1 1QP

Or alternatively, you can submit this information via email, in PDF format, to the address below.

[email protected]

I don’t know how easy it will be to claim the VAT back and I have not figured out yet if I submit the claim direct to HMRC or to the retailer as my emails back from the retailer were not very clear and each one missed key points but I think the retailer could do it as I am not VAT registered.

The self declaration I found elsewhere on another known site. Hope this helps someone :)

I have attached it here as a word document.

Attachments

• self decleration.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 3
i suffer really bad when the clocks go back an hour cause i lose an hour of day light a day straight away,i get up late in the morning so dont see the sunrise lol...

a little too expensive for me tbh so i just soldier on.....

nice post tho skinz :)

i suffer from S.A.D also in the winter :(
but i think if i get a lamp some trees might start to grow underneath the lamp
giving off a strange smell
109f341f.gif

HA HA HA

Ill let you know what starts to grow :)

A little update, yesterday the lamp i wanted went down another 10% so I bit the bullet and bought it.

Late last night I recived an order dispatched and should be with you on the 30th.

So I created a .pdf of the self decleration and sent it along with the dispatched note to the refunds email and low and behold I just got my vat credited back :)

So it works :)

Right result

I thought I suffered from this as I really hated winters when the clock changes, I got a mains timer (about £3) then an old table lamp. Removed the lamp shade and fitted a compact florescent bulb (about 60w equivalent) and put it in my bedroom set for 1 hour before I needed to get up. That works a treat, and is so cheap you should try that before forking out a fortune for the "real thing".

Back