Mobile Phones *Rumour - A Network to offer deals that don't tie you in to a contract (as such)

jerico9

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have been told that one of the major networks are about to change the way you get a contract.

Now for most of use should know, you never get a free phone you pay in the tariff. the tariffs no longer cover the cost of the phone so thats why some phones you have to pay for.

So say you could get a deal unlimited 1gig data £17 a month and then you pick a phone say S3 £450 that £450 you pay off yourself within 24 months, so the network gives you the phone and you pay in installments, the quicker you pay off the quicker you can get a new phone. pay it off in 12 months then you get another.

this way you have the say how long you have your phone for and you wouldn't pay a term fee just what you have left on the phone??

Think its a great idea, but i know some people that think you should get everything for nothing will disagree.

They are looking at the way that they offer contracts. Which? magazine started the ball rolling (I think). They are "fighting" with the providers over their ability to raise your line rental without a "get out clause". If you read the small print, you actually agree to the hikes if they are "fair".

I personally have only ever had one handset as an "upgrade". If you talk to the provider, not a reseller (carphone, etc) you will get a better deal anyway.

I have 3 lines on T-Mobile. They cost £8 including vat, and I get 300 minutes to all standard phone numbers, 5000 texts and unlimited internet. Got this from just calling T-Mobile direct. Yes, I'm tied into an 18 month contract, but at that price, I can afford to buy a decent handset, and not worry about being tied into a £30 a month contract.

I pay £15 P/M for 600 calls any network, unlimited txts (3000) unlimited data ( 2 gig mobile data) + 2 gig via Bt openzone + unlimited Vodafone to vodafone calls. I have both mine and the wifes on this tarrif so its £30 inc vat per month, These are on 2 yr contracts with free phones (no upfront payments) both latest HTC ones when they came out.

Sounds like pay as you go. Personally when my contract runs outs, I'm taking a huge step back and getting a phone that can text and make phone calls on and PAYASUGO. No apps, no email no games.

Back