RTE on Freesat

Gott1

Inactive User
Reaction score
Does anybody know if RTE (Irish terrestial TV) can ever come to Freesat? I think there is some legal hitch with sky.

seems to be some tv rights issues with RTE.

they can't show programming to the UK, yet BBC etc are happy to broadcast to Ireland via sat?

this is oldish news but the last I remember reading
Im sure I made a thread in this section about RTE but cant find it ?

Monday, November 3 2008, 09:49 GMT

By James Welsh

The launch of RTÉ International has been postponed because of the economic crisis.

According to The Times, Ireland's national broadcaster has written to communications minister Eamon Ryan to say that it would be "unwise" for the channel to launch by St. Patrick's Day next year because of the changed financial climate.

In June, RTÉ started recruiting for key positions at the channel, costs for which are estimated at €3m per year. Earlier in the year it was announced that RTÉ International would be available free-to-air on digital satellite to serve the estimated 850,000 Irish born people living in the UK.

It is understood that RTÉ now aims to launch the service by the end of 2009

Rte international isnt the same as rte.it will show nothing of intrest.

Rte will never go to freesat because firstly freesat is a product for the UK market and 2nd,rte buy rights for programs to show them to the Irish market,so the rights dont cost as much.Rte wouldnt have the money to pay for rights for Ireland and the UK.

The only way it would ever happen is if they do a deal whereby if you enter a northern Ireland postcode you may be able to watch it.The good friday agreement means it has to be available to northern Irish viewers,although this will probably mean they will use something instead of freesat.

Back