Rj11?

I'm suprised that you even got your phone or your broadband to work at all with out one mate.

Why do we need the filter(s) at all?

Basically your telephone line was originally designed to carry "Commercial Speech" between your home and the telephone exchange. This uses a band of frequencies from 300 to 3000 hertz.

ADSL uses frequencies very much higher than this speech band so you now finish up with two different systems on the one line. In order to keep these systems apart and stop them interfering with each other it is necessary to separate the two components from the telephone line in your home. This is where the Filter / Splitter comes in. It is normally a small plastic box with a short lead that plugs into your phone socket and two outputs, one for your ADSL Modem and another for a telephone.

The filters select the band of frequencies for each of the outputs, phone or ADSL, and send just the correct band to the appropriate socket.

HTML:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
very interesting read.

So onto the million dollar question?
will the splitter filter suffice or should I splash out on a solo filter?

What d'you guys reckon?

The internet does not need filtering, it is the voice. (internet works unless phone is in use)

As said in the post , if you are going to connect just the modem, you can just use the telephone cable which has UK end on one side and RJ11 on the other. You can disconnect from a phone/fax if you want.

As for the filters on the phone, use the freebies provided unless you want to spend some cash to make things pretty. In which case, I'd say buy a filtered faceplate, fix to master socket and you won't have a need for any filters. However, you must connect the extension with the modem on the unfiltered terminal.

Back