Focus 1.8tdci alternator or smart charge prob

darso34

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi again,

Having another prob with my focus 1.8tdci 07 .
Battery light came on during my return journey from work,so I checked with a multimeter and was only getting 12.6v while running the engine and was the same when I stopped the engine.I started wiggling at connections and restarted engine and found a slight increase when revving engine,so I assume that alternator is working but regulator could be faulty,but battery light stayed on dash so I charged the battery with a trickle charger for an 1hr and drove about for a while and after about 5 miles the light extinguished. The next day it was back on so I started to look at the smart charging circuit and I am getting the proper voltage to the red pin of the 3 way connector to the alt,but the other 2,(blue and grey) I'm not sure what I should be getting. I have tried to trace the wiring but the Haynes manual doesn't show any wiring to the ecu connectors. I think going by the colours Blue and grey from the 3 way alt connector that they are interconnected through the engine fusebox harness with the blue clip,I came to this conclusion because I know the 12v red wire goes to a fuse in the engine fuse box and runs up that harness also.
Any help much appreciated if anyone can make any sense of my explanation.
If anyone even can tell me I'm wrong and that the grey and blue from the alt go straight to the ecu,then happy days I can eliminate that.

Cheers

for a diesel would expect 14v charging rate and maybe altenator overhaul,and soon the car wont start as a diesel needs a bigger ampage to start.

Back