Removing old thermostate

kegnkiwi

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

We are having the decorators in later next week and the Mrs is asking me if it worth removing the old thermostate. We have had combi boilers in for years so at least with the latest the thermostate is remote. What should I expect to find behind it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210808_183639.jpg
    IMG_20210808_183639.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 30
Looks just like mine which has a 240v supply, so be careful just in case it hasn't been disconnected.

Looks just like mine which has a 240v supply, so be careful just in case it hasn't been disconnected.
Yeh i'm ok with electrics i'll get the fluke tester on it. It could well be live as its still clicks if i turn the dial.

Check with multimeter but I would be surprised if it’s live. The feed would have came from the boiler and has probably not been connected since your replacement. Always better to check plus if you disconnect wires from it dead end them and tape them up.

If it’s only 2 Wires they will be inert .Also the stat will still click regardless of having a feed

Check with multimeter but I would be surprised if it’s live. The feed would have came from the boiler and has probably not been connected since your replacement. Always better to check plus if you disconnect wires from it dead end them and tape them up.
Hi ian

Can i ask you what you mean dead end them, is that snip the wires so there is no copper showing at the end and then tape them or would it be better to put them into a chock block and tape them up.

Ok so i have many many crimps but dead-end crimps I don't. Screwfix and toolstation don't seem to stock them.

Attachments

• dead end crimps.jpg
    dead end crimps.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 17
Yep it turned out to be a simple switch. Not live which was good. Turned out though to have a backing box in the wall. So other half things a blanking plate will do best. Rough filled the broken plaster ready for sanding.

Attachments

• IMG_20210809_192058.jpg
    IMG_20210809_192058.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 24
Yep it turned out to be a simple switch. Not live which was good. Turned out though to have a backing box in the wall. So other half things a blanking plate will do best. Rough filled the broken plaster ready for sanding.
Yes a blanking plate will save you having to fix the hole ;)

Wall sanded back and plate on ready for Mr painter guy Thursday.

Attachments

• IMG_20210810_190919.jpg
    IMG_20210810_190919.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I would have filled it. Once the painter has been over it, it would be invisible
I wish I had time mate, painter was due to come beginning sept. He had a cancellation and asked if he could come this week. Only had a few days to choose paints, order carpets, remove old carpets etc all whilst working full time ☺️

Back