removeing/replaceing the hard disc

Firemouth

Inactive User
Reaction score
this shoulde help alot of peeps!

just thought i should put this at the top, incase anyone is worried!!

UPDATE: Warranty: I spoke with Sony support about this and the representative told me the whole point of the PS3 having an upgradeable HDD is so that users can use bigger and better Hard drives. She told me without any hesitations that this does not break Warranty.

The following section explains how to remove and replace the hard disk.

Caution
For safety reasons, be sure to turn off and unplug the system before
attempting to remove or install the hard disk.
Remove the hard disk in a location out of the reach of small children to help
prevent accidental swallowing of small parts such as the screws.
The inside of the system is hot directly after use. Allow time for the system
to cool down before starting to remove the hard disk.
Be careful not to injure yourself when removing or handling the hard disk.
Be sure to reattach the HDD bay cover before turning the PS3™ system on.
If the cover is not attached, it may cause heat to build up inside the system.
Notices

All hard disks, including a PS3™ hard disk must be reformatted before use in a PS3™
system. However, reformatting may not occur if the original PS3™ hard disk is reinstalled
onto the original PS3™ system that was provided with the PS3™ hard disk, and such PS3™
hard disk has not been previously reformatted.
The PS3™ system cannot execute any content stored on a hard disk of any other computer
or operating system, including a PS3™ hard disk that has been reformatted.
It is recommended that you regularly back up any data on the hard disk that is of a type that
can be backed up. If for any reason software or data loss or corruption occurs, it may not be
possible to restore or repair the software or data. Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and its
subsidiaries and affiliates will not be liable for damage or injury related to software or data
loss or corruption.
The PS3™ hard disk is intended for use with the PS3™ system, and it may not be possible to
execute content stored on a PS3™ hard disk on any other operating system.
Improper removal or installation of a hard disk may cause damage to your PS3™ system or
loss of data, and may void your PS3™ hardware warranty. SCEA shall not be liable for any
resulting damages, including any damages to your hard disk. User assumes all risks and
liabilities associated with using a replacement hard disk, including any incompatibility or
interoperability problems with the PS3™ system. Services will not be provided on any
non-PS3™ hard disks.

Removing the hard disk
Touch the power button on the system front for at least two seconds.

The power indicator will turn solid red and the system will enter standby mode.

Turn off the system using the main power switch on the system rear.

Unplug the AC power cord and detach the other cables from
the system.

For safety reasons, remove the plug for the power cord from the electrical outlet,
and then detach the other cables.

Remove the HDD bay cover on the system's left side.

Use the space at the right edge of the HDD bay cover to pull it out from the system.

If the cover is difficult to remove, gently insert a
small screwdriver in the space and pry the cover off. Be careful not to damage the system or the cover when using a screwdriver.

Free the hard disk from the system.

1 Remove the blue screw with a crosshead screwdriver.

2 Raise the metal handle.

3 Slide the hard disk to the right.

Remove the hard disk from the system.

Use the metal handle to pull the hard disk out from the system.

Notices
The hard disk is a sensitive piece of equipment and should be handled with care at all times. To help prevent software or data loss or corruption, or damage to the hard disk, carefully follow the precautions listed below:

Do not drop the system or hard disk, or subject to physical shock or vibration.
Do not allow liquid or small particles to get into the system or hard disk.
Do not touch the connectors or insert foreign objects into the connectors.
Do not place the system or hard disk close to magnetic fields such as those produced by magnets or loudspeakers. Also, do not place devices that may be sensitive to magnetic forces (such as a wrist watch or a magnetic card) near the hard disk.
Do not put heavy objects on the hard disk.
When handling the hard disk hold it only by the edges or metal frame.
The hard disk is sensitive to static electricity. Ensure that proper handling methods are used when installing the hard disk.
Store in a cool, dry location.

Replacing the hard disk
When replacing the hard disk, follow the procedure below to remove the metal frame.

Use a crosshead screwdriver to remove the screws (4 places).
These screws are very tight, be sure to find a screwdriver that fits very well, and take your time.
If you strip a screw head and want to purchase a replacement screw see the bottom of this post.

Remove the hard disk from the metal frame.
Lift one end and slide the hard disk out to remove.

Place the replacement hard disk on the PS3™ system hard disk's metal frame, and then attach using the screws (4 places).
Do not overtighten the screws.

Install the hard disk in the system.
Fully insert the hard disk in the HDD bay, and then slide it to the left. (I find that using your finger works better than the wire for this)

Attach the
blue screw to lock the hard disk in place. Refer to the instructions for
"Removing the hard disk" in reverse order when installing.

Reattach the HDD bay cover.

Turn on the PS3™ system.
Follow the on-screen instructions to perform initial setup.

Replacement hard disks
You can use hard disks of the following types with the PS3™ system:

Size 2.5 inch (internal type)*1 Interface format Serial ATA*2

*1 Proper operation is not guaranteed for all models.
*2 Parallel ATA is not supported.

Hint
If you lose the HDD bay cover, screws, or metal attachment, for availability of replacement parts contact SCEA Consumer Services at 1-800-345-7669.

hope this helps
bobo
i couldnt get all the pics on because it only lets me upload 5 pics,

Last edited:
heres the other pics , if u just follow them along they are in order from the first 5,
i did want to put them in the text at certain points , but i dont know how to do that guys soz

and guess what ? heres the last of the pics
hope this helps
bobo

you should all be able to follow this guide now with no probs
heres abit of useless info on hard discs (?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is not recommended to sell or get rid of your factory hard drive. If you ever need to send it to Sony for repair, you are going to want to put the origional drive back in prior to sending it in.
A good use for it is to get an external USB enclosure and convert it into a portable USB hard drive.

Here is a listing of External Hard Drive Enclosures.

Compatible hard drives need to meet these specifications:
2.5" form (generally refered to as a notebook drive)
Serial ATA interface, also shown as SATA
9.5mm Height

List of compatible hard drives from NewEgg

Below are links for individual drives separated by storage size. (all links are to newegg.com, I make no claims of their service or their prices, this is just to be used as a reference.........links subject to change)
*note* The links within a size/speed category are listed by ascending price. (lowest price is the first link, and highest price is the last link in the group)

40GB 5400RPM

Fujitsu MHV2040BH 40GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - Retail

60GB 5400RPM

TOSHIBA MK6034GSX 60GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

60GB 7200RPM

HITACHI Travelstar 7K100 HTS721060G9SA00 (0A25025) 60GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

80GB 5400RPM

Fujitsu MHV2080BH 80GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM
Fujitsu MHW2080BH 80GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - Retail
Western Digital Scorpio WD800BEVS 80GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM
HITACHI Travelstar 5K100 HTS541080G9SA00 (0A26924) 80GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM
SAMSUNG FlashON HM08HHI 80GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM
SAMSUNG Spinpoint M Series HM080JI 80GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM
HITACHI Travelstar 5K120 HTS541280H9SA00 (0A50158) 80GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

80GB 7200RPM

HITACHI Travelstar 7K100 HTS721080G9SA00 (0A25026) 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM
Seagate Momentus 7200.1 ST980825AS 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

100GB 5400RPM

Fujitsu MHW2100BH 100GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM
Seagate Momentus 5400.2 ST9100824AS 100GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

100GB 7200RPM

Seagate Momentus 7200.1 ST910021AS 100GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

120GB 5400RPM

TOSHIBA MK1234GSX 120GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM
Western Digital Scorpio WD1200BEVS 120GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM
Seagate Momentus 5400.2 ST9120821AS 120GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM
Seagate Momentus 5400.3 ST9120822AS 120GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM
SAMSUNG Spinpoint M Series HM120JI 120GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

160GB 5400RPM

SAMSUNG Spinpoint M Series HM160JI 160GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM
Western Digital Scorpio WD1600BEVS 160GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM
HITACHI Travelstar 5K160 HTS541616J9SA00 (0A28844) 160GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM
Seagate Momentus 5400.3 ST9160821AS 160GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM
Fujitsu MHW2160BH 160GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - Retail

200GB 4200RPM

TOSHIBA MK2035GSS 200GB 4200 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM
HITACHI Travelstar 7K200 HTS722020K9SA00 (0A50940) 200GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

250GB 5400RPM

SAMSUNG Spinpoint M Series HM250JI 250GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM
Western Digital Scorpio WD2500BEVS 250GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: Warranty: I spoke with Sony support about this and the representative told me the whole point of the PS3 having an upgradeable HDD is so that users can use bigger and better Hard drives. She told me without any hesitations that this does not break Warranty.

hope this helps alot of u peeps
thanks bobo

I've upped mine to a 500gb WD Scorpio 5400 drive, had some reservations when ordering it as to whether it would work but installed and am using it without any problems.

I've upped mine to a 500gb WD Scorpio 5400 drive, had some reservations when ordering it as to whether it would work but installed and am using it without any problems.

How much diod you pay for the drive mate im wanting one but dont like the price increases from the 320gb drive to the 500gb, still waiting for the later to drop in price:Chainsaw:

Think it was around 85 notes but am not too sure as I ordered a whole lot of other kit with it.

EDIT: I see what you mean, the 320 is 53 notes, the 500gb is 91 :FRIGHT:

Last edited:
i got mine from tesco , 500g for £49 bargain
bobo

bobo

Fooking hell lol, when did you get that and how come it was so cheap? Can i still get one now id go and get one tomorrow if so, was it only an instore deal too?

bobo

Didnt know Tesco sells Internal sata HDD cant find one on there site ..... you sure you didn't buy a 500GB External usb drive?

Didnt know Tesco sells Internal sata HDD cant find one on there site ..... you sure you didn't buy a 500GB External usb drive?

If the external USB has a SATA 2.5" drive in it then you could butcher it to remove the drive and install it in the PS3.

For me even though I went and got a 500gb drive to install in the PS3 I actually don't use it that much as I also went and got a Lacie 1tb Ethernet BigDisk NAS. This connects via the LAN and has TwonkyMedia media server software on board so I just copy pictures/mp3/films onto the NAS and stream that to the PS3. Works quite well in that I've even streamed HD stuff from the NAS to the PS3 without any hiccups.

yep thats what i got m8
all u do is split the case , very easy no srews and then just put it in your ps3 and that will automatically format it for u
job done

makes u laugh really its easier and cheaper to buy an incased hdd rather than an internal 1

and i think its instore only
bobo

Just got a 500gb portable Iomega prestige drive from Tesco for £64.97 and it has a 500gb Seagate Momentus 5400.6RPm drive which is perfect for the PS3 :Clap: Just took it out now and put it in the PS3 and formatting as i type, good thing is you can re-use the enclosure for the drive you take out and have a nice 20/40/60gb portable drive to carry around :)

Just got a 500gb portable Iomega prestige drive from Tesco for £64.97 and it has a 500gb Seagate Momentus 5400.6RPm drive which is perfect for the PS3 :Clap: Just took it out now and put it in the PS3 and formatting as i type, good thing is you can re-use the enclosure for the drive you take out and have a nice 20/40/60gb portable drive to carry around :)

good on ya m8, piece of piss to do aint it m8
fire

Aye m8 the hardest part was getting the screws out which hold the drive on the metal frame lol, i ended up stripping 1 but aint bothered bout 1 as 3 will be ok

Last edited:
Aye m8 the hardest part was getting the screws out which hold the drive on the metal frame lol, i ended up stripping 1 but aint bothered bout 1 as 3 will be ok

aye they are a bit fiddlely m8 , welcome to the 500g ps3 m8 lol
fire

Can i put my old hardrive into a case and then restore it to my new one as i dont have a external drive big enough to back up to. Thanks

Can i put my old hardrive into a case and then restore it to my new one as i dont have a external drive big enough to back up to. Thanks

yes you can m8 , not sure about the reformatting of it , but you can deffo do it
i think youll have to format it to fat32 and away you go m8
fire

Back