Rear Disc RED HOT!

ManofScience

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
My troublesome Ford Galaxy 07 2.0 TDCi.

Bought in January from Evanshalshall, Had discs and pads at back all changed for MOT. 1 Disc is RED HOT to the touch and smells of burning. Could the caliper have failed? it's got new pads and discs.

ideas?

sounds like a seized caliper mate

wouldnt want to run it too long as may warp the disk etc

Definitely sounds like a seized caliper. As alimac states I sincerely hope your brake disc isn't warped. Who did the discs and pads? was there no clues then regarding this seizure?.

Siezed caliper or the tracks that the pads slide on are fouled up stopping the pads retracting

Definitely sounds like a seized caliper. As alimac states I sincerely hope your brake disc isn't warped. Who did the discs and pads? was there no clues then regarding this seizure?.

Pads and discs done by garage who I bought it from as part of the MOT they did for me.

Just a strong burning smell this morning when I got out. No warning at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taking back to the garage is tricky, it's 100 miles away. Plus, the dealer paid for the work to be done to the garage so technically the guarantee is with them - not with me.

Got a mobile tech coming today, see what he says, if there's anything serious, I'll recontact the dealership I got it from

Taking back to the garage is tricky, it's 100 miles away. Plus, the dealer paid for the work to be done to the garage so technically the guarantee is with them - not with me.

Got a mobile tech coming today, see what he says, if there's anything serious, I'll recontact the dealership I got it from

Good luck with it m8. Let's just hope it is just the new brakes bedding in. Keep us informed.

how many miles since it was done ? also how many miles has it been over heating this way we can give better view on what needs doing

Done 2000 since all done.

Mobile tech been, the handbrake latch was in the up position, with it engaged. He's cleaned it, and freed it - all fine now.

He reckons it might clog up again, not sure when but it would be best to replace the caliper at some point.

Sound reasonable?

Thanks for all the advice so far, I know these diy car repairs are easy for home mechanics - but I'm complete bobbins. Oil change is about as much as I'm capable of - and I've tried !

ye sounds ok if he has freed/greased up it should be ok for a while

Sounds good to me. A fair honest job. Forget it now the job is done.Happy motoring. :)

Back