Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Flashing red light

rabbitface1

Inactive User
Hi

Last night I was playing bioshock and when I finished I left the PS3 on so the controller could recharge.

Got home from work the next day and noticed the PS3 had a red flashing light. Uh oh.

I tried turning it off and then on again. The light briefly went yellow, then the PS3 beeped a few times, and then the

light flashed red.

I removed the HDD and tried again with the same result.

Also, my Bioshock disc is still in the PS3 and the eject button fails to work.

Any ideas?

I bought this in March 07 at launch so no warranty
My mate has just brought a ps3 for crimbo,is there any chance i can take my ps3 back on his receipt,or does it have a serial number on it or something,,,many thanks guys rabbit

Hi

Last night I was playing bioshock and when I finished I left the PS3 on so the controller could recharge.

Got home from work the next day and noticed the PS3 had a red flashing light. Uh oh.

I tried turning it off and then on again. The light briefly went yellow, then the PS3 beeped a few times, and then the

light flashed red.

I removed the HDD and tried again with the same result.

Also, my Bioshock disc is still in the PS3 and the eject button fails to work.

Any ideas?

My mate has just brought a ps3 for crimbo,is there any chance i can take my ps3 back on his receipt,or does it have a serial number on it or something,,,many thanks guys rabbit

Dead mate, happend to me and sony wanted £150 so i got a new one on the house insurance, you will need to open it to get the disk out. i very much doubt you would be able to take it back as most shops now keep records of serial numbers to stop this sort of scam from happening.

Any ideas?

you've got the YLOD (yellow light of death), very common with the 60GB model and was on Watchdog 3-4 months ago. Return to Sony and get a refurb for £128 or get them to repair that way u keep ur games saves etc and think they charge £99 but this may have come down. You'll also get a 3 month warranty.

Other option is to send it to someone like console doctor n get them to repair it for £69. Think that it comes with 6 month warranty but i'v heard that some machines have broken down few weeks/months down the line.

dont think its possible to return, im assumin ur m8 got a ps3 slim for xmas so that in itself would be an issue.

if he got the original then its defo an 80gb, 40gb and 60gb left the production line a long time back. his receipt would say ps3 80gb and you'd be takin a 60gb back so they'd know there and then......................................

oh also there is a method of gettin the disc out thru pressin a combo of buttons but i dunno what that is...

Last edited:
Sony keep records of serial number and which retailers they are sent to. Most companies do the same.

I recently had my PS3 swapped out because the optical audio died, I didnt deal with the shop at all, I delt directly with Sony. When I gave him my serial number he told me it was Dixons I got it from.

oh also there is a method of gettin the disc out thru pressin a combo of buttons but i dunno what that is...

# Power off the PS3 on the main switch on the back of the console
# Press and hold the Eject button
# Turn on the main power switch
# The PS3 LED will go green and the fan will spin at max speed
# Wait a few seconds and press the eject button a couple of times, the disk should now eject

It didn't work for mine but does for some. Worth a go as its free. I ended up taking it apart to get it out.

Its sad that this is going on, seems every week there is x amount of launch ps3's giving up. Sony will not give in and admit there is a problem, for a company that i always had the most respect for its customer services its a poor showing imo but a sign of the next 15 years of console making.

# Power off the PS3 on the main switch on the back of the console
# Press and hold the Eject button
# Turn on the main power switch
# The PS3 LED will go green and the fan will spin at max speed
# Wait a few seconds and press the eject button a couple of times, the disk should now eject

It didn't work for mine but does for some. Worth a go as its free. I ended up taking it apart to get it out.

im pretty sure that the original 60gb does not have this feature. so it wont work.

try blasting a hairdryer into the back of the ps3 for about 20mins, then leave it cool. it should boot up long enough to allow u to get your disk out, and back up any saved games u want.

i would then take it down to game/gamestation and trade it in, hopefully it will still be working by the time the guy behind the counter checks it out

Just d/loaded all the legal stuff and trying it later at game cos the warranty just ran out on my slim 250.

Back