RBM - How to move/remove/add channels

ketmp

Satellite Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How it Works:
RBM basically retrieves the latest official sky bouquets (as published by Sky) channel number location and RBM then sorts and places them how you want them in your bouquets (known as favourites).

What you Need:
You will need the latest favourites.xml file from DW uploader server (in RBM folder).
You will need an xml editor and I use Notepad++ for this (and it's a handy replacement for official windows Notepad application).

How favourites.xml file is made up:
The favourites.xml file is split into two sections. The first section are the bouquets sections and what channel number they start from (for each individual bouquet section).

The second part of favourites.xml file are actual channels and what order you want them in. Eg:
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
The "target" channel number is what channel number it will be in your preferred order (aka Rats order) and the "source" channel number is the channel number it actually appears officially on Sky (aka Sky order).

So the line:
Code:
This line basically moves the "Sky1" channel (which officially uses sky channel number "106") to the channel "6" position in your preferred ordering of channels. For the time being you don't need to worry about what the other things do on that line except bit at the end (eg <!--Sky1 --> is just a comment that informs us that official sky 106 channel is named "Sky1").

Example of how to Add a new channel at end of say Entertainment section:

Say you wanted to add a new channel known as "Rats World" which has just started broadcasting on official sky channel number of 567...

Within the favourites.xml file, locate the last channel in the entertainment section before the next section starts. Currently the last channel in "entertainment" section is channel 96 (according to your order) and this channel is named "BET:BlackEntTv".

So now I would highlight and copy this entire line again and paste it immediately below it so it looks like:-
Code:
Then I would rename the target channel number of the last line so it reads "97" instead of "96" and then change the source channel number so it reads "567" (as in above example) and then change channel name at end from "BET:BlackEntTv" to "Rats World".

So then this now looks like (i've highlighted just the bits i've changed):
Code:

Save favourites.xml and test it:
Once your changes are done, I would save file and test it before placing it on server for others. You need to FTP the file over to
Code:
over-writing the existing favourites.xml file. Once done, then just go into RBM and do another scan and check it's worked as it should.

If it is fine then upload this favourites.xml file to DW upload server (within the RBM folder).

That's it!!!!

Example of how to Insert a new in between two channel within the Entertainment section:

Say you wanted to insert a new channel known as "Sky2 +1" which has just started broadcasting on official sky channel number of 188 just after the existing channel "Sky2"...

Within the favourites.xml file, locate the "Sky2" channel in the entertainment section. Currently this channel in "entertainment" section is channel 8 (according to your order) and this channel is named "Sky2". Eg:
Code:
I would then insert an empty line directly below the current channel "8" line. I would then highlight the channel "8" line and copy and paste this line directly below (and into the empty line space you just left).

Then on this new line you've just copied/pasted, change the target to "9" (from 8) and source to "188" (from source "129" and channel description to "Sky2 +1" from "Sky 2".

As you will see you now have two channel "9" so you will have to re-number the existing channels in the Entertainment bouquet section after this new line so they're all consecutive. When done, hopefully it should look like:
Code:

Save favourites.xml and test it:
Once your changes are done, I would save file and test it before placing it on server for others. You need to FTP the file over to
Code:
over-writing the existing favourites.xml file. Once done, then just go into RBM and do another scan and check it's worked as it should.

If it is ok then upload this favourites.xml file to DW upload server (within the RBM folder).

That's it!!!

Where do I get the new channel information from ?

Where do I get the new channel information from ?
All you need is the new official sky channel number for any new channel. So various methods like the lyngsat, etc or if you view the file named, EXAMPLE_sd_sat_282_sky_uk_CustomLCN.xml, at:

/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/RatsBouquetsMaker/custom

This file is actually the list of channels that RBM has scanned in before it's sorts them into your ordering so they're in official ordering in this file.

Any channel you want to add and it's official channel number is above 1000+ you will have to let me know as these channel numbers aren't official so could change each time a scan is done. The 1000+ range is used for regional ITVs, Ch4s, Ch5s, and some other channels that are only meant to be available to a specific location (ie Made In London). As I said in these circumstances let me know and I can sort it out via a hack so channel number doesn't keep changing.

It's a lot to take in at first so just ask me :)

OK mate
was just looking for al jazeera hd as I added that to original bouquet today
but it dont look like its part of official sky yet ?

You referring to "Al Jazeera HD"? I have it on my original channel order (eg EXAMPLE file) as on sky channel 691.

favourites.xml file from DW uploader server just shows as a text file when I click on it @ketmp

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely I need a file from my receiver ? As this would have the latest scanned file

Remember now that RBM scans channels (and transponder details) based on same info as Sky boxes do. The favourites.xml file just tells RBM to sort channels into your OCD ordering rather than that of Sky's.

Remember you're dealing with channel numbers now (RBM does all the hard work of scanning for transponder changes).

All you need official sky channel number for the channel in question and the favourites.xml file and add it to the favourites.xml file.

Is this right @ketmp
Al Jazeera HD end of news

Attachments

• favourites.xml
    54.2 KB · Views: 1
@Rat,

Code:

Could I ask where you got source "188" from? When I looked it was on 691 on my ABM!

Right now I got it LOL
Then on this new line you've just copied/pasted, change the target to "9" (from 8) and source to "188" (from source "129" and channel description to "Sky2 +1" from "Sky 2".
I copied that from post 1 lol
so apart from that its all right

Yes, part from that it was fine @Rat :)

Remember Target is new channel number as you want it (ie Rats OCD ordering) and Source is the original sky channel number.

If you make the amendments and FTP this file to your "custom" folder within RBM folder on your box and re-scan.

If it shows fine then upload the favourites.xml file to DW server (in RBM folder) replacing the existing favourites.xml file.

Also is there a quick way to find new channels in the EXAMPLE file
I see there is a new channel K TV
@ketemp

Last edited:
@ketmp
It worked :) so I have now uploaded it to RBM folder
so all the user has to do is update config via RMB menu is that correct

Yes, just upload to RBM folder on server and then others can update config files.

I'm not aware of any easy way of figure out new channels that are added to sky apart from looking on lyngsat, etc.

I think Martin might keep an eye out for things because he's PM'd me once about a channel he had heard that was soon to be included in sky line up. You could ask him to let you know, or where he looks.

@ketmp
I meant looking through the EXAMPLE_sd_sat_282_sky_uk_CustomLCN.xml

No, don't think so. You could ask abu if he knows of a way other than online sources like lyngsat.

Back