Rats automatic channel updater

Read post 1 and choose an option

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My only concern is whether the server will be able to handle all the download request at the same time. (My company had a nice setup for a few machines, when they polled all at the same time things went pair shaped.)

If the update fails, will a retry be automatic in cases such as internet connectivity problems, stb being off etc?

I'm going for 2.

hmmm, thats a very good point a-b, i didnt even think of that

while the control file is only 5 bytes, the actual channel lists are ~ 100kb, so if 1000 people suddenly all try to update at the same time, is could be seen by the server as some form of massive DDoS attack

i will have to look in to this, as its something that hadnt even crossed my mind, but, it makes #1 look more favourable to get around that :)

Last edited:
ok peeps, i havent forgotten about this, but, with my limited knowledge, im having a bit of an 'issue ;)' in getting the onscreen display to tell you that an update is available, but, im not giving up :)

in the meantime though, i do have a script that i can add to the ppanel, that you can run, and itll check the channel list version, and download it, then after 24 hours, itll check it again, and if its changed, itll download the new list, and if it hasnt, itll wait 24 hours and check again

I could also make this run at startup (once installed) so if you reboot the receiver, itll check for latest channel list as part of the boot procedure

If this is something that youd be interested in, untill i learn how to do the full on screen display for updating manually when the scriptfinds an updated version, click the thanks button for this post, and if it looks like itll be used, ill add it to the ppanel

:)

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

You got further than me lol I gave up on it checking for new version then decided not to bother, I dont mind pressing a couple of buttons on the remote and job done its just not worth the effort to make it auto update.

I can make it auto update easily m8, I been running an auto updating script since started this thread, the bit I'm stuck on is making it put a message on the screen

yeh getting it to reload at a set interval is easy enough but I was stuck at checking for newer version and ignoring if same.

yeh getting it to reload at a set interval is easy enough but I was stuck at checking for newer version and ignoring if same.

I got all that sorted ;)

It checks, and if the same, then sits idle for a preset time (24 hours) and if different then it downloads, unpacks and reloads, then sits idle for preset time before checking again.

As I'm working with a bash script that I wrote, I don't think its able to create an on screen display when it sees the new file. A python script can, but I'm still trying to learn how, so when the script sees the change, it puts a message on screen, with an option to press ok to continue the script and update.

It's this pause for user interaction that I'm stuck with, for now ;) I WILL get it going in the end

OK peeps, first off, a big thanks to the member Joypad, go and find one of his posts, any one, and add some rep to it, as without his help, i dont think id have gotten this working much before kate and wills kid has kids, so go and give the guy some rep points please, go on, why are you still reading?

Now for the updater :proud:

If you download the latest DW Ppanel, theres now an option to 'enable automatic updating'. Even if you have the latest list, it may still tell you that an update is available when first enabling, youll have to accept this first update, as it also updates a control file, then every 24 hours, checks for an update.

if an update is available, youll have a message on your screen, informing you that an update is available, and asking you if youd like to update

if you choose yes, itll download the latest channel lists, reload them, and check again in 24 hours
if you choose no, itll inform you that an update is available again, in 24 hours time

after activating, please check the log (using the ppanel option) just to ensure that it says 'Sleeping for 24 hours') this shows that the first update has run, downloaded the control file, verified itself, and is waiting for its next timed file check

options for the updater are

enable
disable
check log
delete log

and its found under the 'Download Rats channel list' section of the Ppanel

Well done digi great work and a big thanks goes to u all!! will there be an updater for multi sats?

Back