Rangers FC Thread

to the tune of the celtic song just cant get enough.

WHEN I THINK OF CELTIC, I'VE JUST GOT TO LAUGH. YOU'RE JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH.YOU'RE JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/16/rangers-walter-smith-celtic-neil-lennon

The departing Rangers manager, Walter Smith, has fired a parting shot at Celtic, accusing them of setting the wheels in motion for a fractious Scottish season.

Smith took charge of Rangers for the last time at Kilmarnock on Sunday, securing the Scottish Premier League title with a 5-1 win. The 63-year-old has said he will be glad to see the back of his final campaign, during which he was particularly upset by Celtic's complaints about referees and to the Scottish Football Association.

"It seems to me that all of the focus has been deflected from what it should have been on, which is football players, what they do, who wins, who loses," Smith said. "We've not been talking about that this season. The season got off to a bad start, in that respect, when Celtic put up a challenge to referees and to everybody else. That got the season off to a bad start and it went downhill after that.

"From my own point of view, I hope everybody would realise that people who work in Scottish football – referees included – are always under terrific scrutiny. It was an unfair circumstance they were placed in this season and I just hope that now everybody gets on with it."

The Celtic manager, Neil Lennon, was outspoken against the referee after the season's first Old Firm game in October, which Rangers won 3-1. That was one of several occasions on which Lennon or Celtic complained about match officials.

There were also legal challenges from Celtic towards the SFA, including over a touchline ban handed to Lennon. Throughout the season Celtic have defended their actions vigorously.

"I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win," said Smith, whose title was his third in succession. "If they're not good enough, they'll not win and they can't look at anybody else, whether it's referees or any other influence. I don't say that in a smug way. I just felt that it set the tone for what it has been a poor season for our country, in terms of publicity overall."

Smith will spend time in the United States but has no set plans to return to football thereafter. He has ruled out another role at Rangers. "After the season we have had here I am ready to get out of here, out of Scotland," he said. "It has been a fraught year for everybody; I don't think there has been any doubt about that.

"I'm never going to be a director of football. One of the reason why I won't be back at Rangers again is that I won't be sitting there looking at lads that I have worked with. So you might see me at Dumbarton or Forfar or somewhere like that, plus the occasional Rangers game.

"I'll go to watch Rangers as a fan. But it's not right for me to be hanging around the club when there is new people there. I'll go as a supporter. I'll be buying season-tickets, four of them actually. I will be investing in the team."

Smith is also confident his successor, Ally McCoist, will be a success at Ibrox. Intrigue surrounds how much advice McCoist will seek from his predecessor. "People keep asking me: 'Will he ask you this, or ask you that?' But I still speak to people like Jim McLean and Sir Alex Ferguson," Smith said. "That's what you do, you ask questions. So Ally will do just as I've been able to do, to ask people who I have worked with before. Ally can ask me, but he will make up his own mind what he is going to do. I don't need to tell Ally anything. He will be able to handle the situation as it comes along."

Celtic, meanwhile, have cancelled a planned tribute match for their former defender John Kennedy on Sunday. Kennedy had to retire due to a knee injury in 2009. The game was set to take place between the current Celtic team and members of the one who progressed to the 2003 Uefa Cup final. Celtic feel it would be inappropriate to hold the match now, after a turbulent few months during which there have been security threats towards Lennon and Celtic failed to reclaim the SPL. It could be played in August.

The 19-year-old Celtic winger James Forrest will earn a first Scotland call-up on Tuesday. Forrest will be named in Craig Levein's squad for the upcoming Carling Nations Cup fixtures.

SASA PAPAC Signs New Deal

0,,5~9680041,00.jpg

SASA PAPAC has shown his passion for Rangers by putting pen-to-paper on a new one-year deal at Murray Park this morning.

The news will be a big boost for Ally McCoist who has always stated his admiration for the Bosnian who was a hugely consistent performer during Walter Smith's second spell in charge of the Light Blues.

Signed by Paul Le Guen in August 2006 from Austria Vienna Papac arrived in Scotland as a left-sided centre back.

But under Smith he moved to his now familiar left-back role and his classy displays have made him a fans' favourite at Ibrox.

In the space of five years the Mostar-born defender has won eight major honours - three SPL titles, two Scottish Cups and three League Cups - and was a key player as the Gers reached the UEFA Cup final in '08.

Sasa, 31, made his 200th appearance for the club in the title-clinching win at Rugby Park on Sunday and will now be hoping to enjoy more success in the next twelve months.

Paradise Lost.
By Number Eight
Updated Wednesday, 18th May 2011
Rangers RSS Feed

These last few years have been an interesting period in the history of Rangers FC.
Portrayed publicly, and frequently, as an ogre in Scottish society, and with the Rangers support regularly being dehumanised by professional bigots, Scotland's major sporting institution appears to have been the target of an orchestrated campaign to undermine and humiliate it - maybe even destroy it.

The financial side of the club, in part due to being enmeshed within Sir David Murray's business empire, has been a mess, and the bank has been hovering with intent while Walter Smith sent his team out to keep the blue flag flying.

The stark bread and water diet at Ibrox has contrasted unfavourably with second helpings regularly being devoured across the city at Parkhead, where black rather than red ink has been more commonly in use in the club accounts.

These last few years have been an uphill struggle for Rangers, and Celtic should really have been freewheeling to some easy titles, but it hasn't happened.

Despite the difficulties that have befallen Rangers, the team on the park has remained focussed and determined, and the small squad at Ibrox has put the larger squad at Celtic in its place three years in succession in the title chase: second place.

Celtic has been presented with an open goal due to Rangers poor financial performance, and yet it can't seem to hit a cow's posterior with a five-string banjo.

Managers and players come and go at Celtic, but still it remains in its historic role as the lesser light In the Old Firm partnership.

Rangers has proved to be a tougher nut to crack than was foreseen, and now new ownership has settled in at the club. Finally, there is a few bob in the kitty to acquire some new blood, and Celtic has missed a rare and golden chance to do irreparable damage to its most bitter rival.

In the years to come, Celtic may look back on this era and wonder what might have been. An opportunity presented itself and Celtic's best shot ended up in orbit alongside that famous Dixie Deans penalty.

Rangers are back, and this time, they'll be taking no prisoners as they chase every prize the game has to offer.

You have been warned, Celtic.

We shall not be moved.

RANGERS star Kirk Broadfoot last night told of his joy after being cleared of an assault charge.

And the Ibrox ace, 26, thanked QC Paul McBride - who has represented Celtic and the club's boss Neil Lennon - for his help after a not proven verdict.

The Scotland defender had been accused of attacking businessman Andrew Nicol, 31, at a flat in Ayr last May.

After being cleared at the town's sheriff court delighted Broadfoot said: "I'm just glad the truth has come out.

Read more: Broadfoot: I’m so glad assault rap was Kirked out | The Sun |Home Scotland|Scottish News

:Clap: wanted celtic to win it but congrats to rangers , prob see you in the champ league groups for a chnge lol

Why did u want septic to win for ?

simpley put my grandad bought me a celtic kit every year when i was really young , he like me was a man u fan , but the celtic strip was always cheep
so he got me that instead of the united 1 he couldn afford. thats only reason why.

Why did u want septic to win for ?

simpley put my grandad bought me a celtic kit every year when i was really young , he like me was a man u fan , but the celtic strip was always cheep
so he got me that instead of the united 1 he couldn afford. thats only reason why.

It's a funny one this as I can remember some sort of affiliation between the two clubs, I just can't for the life of me think what it was. Just seem to remember a link and I know a lot of Utd lads that are Celtic and a lot of Liverpool that are Rangers. Possibly it is a Catholic link between the two as Utd's early days as Newton Heath had a strong Catholic background I believe.

Be interested if anyone could shed some light on this one as it could be just coincidence.

Over the years Celtic have had players signed by Man Utd,the likes of Lou Macari,Tommy Docherty,Paddy Crerand,Liam Miller,Brian MClair and even Henrik Larrson to name a few and im sure Tommy Docherty even took the team to see the pope,and Sir Matt Busby was also a Celtic supporter originaly from Larnarkshire,so maybe this has something to do with it.

It's a funny one this as I can remember some sort of affiliation between the two clubs, I just can't for the life of me think what it was. Just seem to remember a link and I know a lot of Utd lads that are Celtic and a lot of Liverpool that are Rangers. Possibly it is a Catholic link between the two as Utd's early days as Newton Heath had a strong Catholic background I believe.

Be interested if anyone could shed some light on this one as it could be just coincidence.
remember in the 50's, everton had 4 or 5 irish players, peter farrell,jimmy o'neill to name just 2. there used to be boat loads of irish supporters every home game, coming overnight from dublin.there used to be rows of priests in the stands as well.. seem to remember a similar thing at old traf.... as well in the 60's and 70's. where anfield is , years ago there was a big l.o.l contingent. the supporters club committee in the 60's was mainly l.o.l members if my memory serves me.. but there was NEVER any trouble that i know of in relation to football, religion wise that is... lfc and celtic seems to be more post 1989. could be wrong in all this, but dont think i am far off the mark...

Thanks for the replies guys I was actually having this discussion with a fellow Utd fan not more than a couple of weeks ago just after the Caley result. He asked me why i was happy for Rangers as Utd had a connection with Celtic then we couldn't fooking figure out what it was lol.

Back