Q+A - USB 3.0 is the next generation of USB connection.

skinz

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Q. I'm in the market for a new desktop. I've been shopping around lately. I've seen that a few of the models include USB 3.0. I'm assuming that is a newer version of the USB connection that I use now. Is it only different in terms of speed? Or are there other differences I should know about? Thanks!

A. Good observation. USB 3.0 is the next generation of USB connection. The current generation is USB 2.0. It's been around for more than nine years.

USB 3.0, or SuperSpeed USB, was released in 2008. While it isn't commonplace yet, it has a lot of potential.

USB 3.0 has a transfer rate of up to five gigabits per second. That's nearly 10 times faster than USB 2.0. Speed isn't the only difference. But it's certainly the most noticeable.

If you're big into digital media, this is a no-brainer. With earlier versions of USB, transferring large files can take a few minutes. With USB 3.0, you can transfer large files in a few seconds.

Another notable difference is in power consumption. USB 3.0 devices take advantage of an idle mode. While it's not in use, whatever is connected draws less power from the computer. This helps in a lot of ways. For example, it extends laptop battery life.

On top of all this, USB 3.0 is backwards-compatible with earlier versions. That means pretty much all existing USB devices will still work with it. You can plug older gadgets into a USB 3.0 port and they'll work.

Keep in mind that you won't get faster speeds if you're using a USB 2.0 device with a USB 3.0 connection. You'll be limited to USB 2.0 speeds.

It is also important to note that USB 3.0 gadgets require new cables. That's because the B plug has changed. The B plug is the end that connects to printers, hard drives and the like. The new USB 3.0 B plug has a different form factor. It won't fit in a USB 2.0 B port.

Compatibility with older products makes USB 3.0 an easy upgrade. After all, you really don't have to worry about it working with your stuff.

On top of that, a number of USB 3.0 devices are coming into the market. There are a bunch of external hard drives that take advantage of the faster connection. And a few manufacturers have even started creating USB 3.0 hubs.

Of course, you can still upgrade an old computer to USB 3.0. That is, provided you have a desktop. You can install an add-on card inside your PC. This will give you the new USB 3.0 ports.

Adding these cards to your current PC isn't difficult. But it takes some know-how and requires that you open up your computer. I don't recommend doing this if you aren't familiar with repairing computers.

In that case, it might be smarter to hold off on USB 3.0. Wait until you buy a new PC to upgrade to USB 3.0.

If you're in the market for a new laptop, you may have a harder time upgrading. That's because the laptop usually needs to have built-in USB 3.0 ports. Right now, not very many laptops include USB 3.0.

The only laptops that are upgradable are ones that offer ExpressCard slots. For these, you can find ExpressCard adapters that provide USB 3.0 ports. Expect to spend about $40 for one of these adapters.

Also laptop makers may be slow to adopt USB 3.0. That's because USB 3.0 isn't directly supported on Intel chipsets yet. USB 2.0 and other high-speed ports do have direct support. It's easier for manufacturers to add USB 2.0 ports than 3.0 ports.

Additionally, USB 3.0 won't make much difference for many devices. For example, printers wouldn't see a benefit. So manufacturers are still waiting to see how high the demand is for USB 3.0.

On top of that, other high-speed connections are in the works as well. One that seems particularly promising is Light Peak.

Intel is the company behind Light Peak. Light Peak uses optical cables to transfer information using light.

Intel has said that Light Peak can transfer data at 10Gbs. That is double the speed of USB 3.0. Click here to learn more about Light Peak.

Thanks Pob for posting the link that I forgot to add

Back