putting on weight?

premprop51

DW F1 champion 2011
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi all, im looking to put on a little weight maybe about 1-1-1/2 stone i do quite a bit exercise....boxing twice a week play squash once a week do motocross every second weekend and play golf and have quite a physical job i also eat like f**k ok could maybe be a bit healthier but not too bad considering the missus and most of my mates just have to look at junk food and they instantly go fat.....so just looking for some ideas for a healthy diet etc to put on a little weight...currently 11st about 5' 10 ave build any help??

cheers

Natural peanut butter (like the "Whole Earth" one from H&B) and whole milk.

If your budget will stretch you might want to consider a mass-gain shake.

If you search this section mate I think there's been loads of discussion about this in the recent past.

hi all, im looking to put on a little weight maybe about 1-1-1/2 stone i do quite a bit exercise....boxing twice a week play squash once a week do motocross every second weekend and play golf and have quite a physical job i also eat like f**k ok could maybe be a bit healthier but not too bad considering the missus and most of my mates just have to look at junk food and they instantly go fat.....so just looking for some ideas for a healthy diet etc to put on a little weight...currently 11st about 5' 10 ave build any help??

cheers

I was exactly the same m8 high metabolism ,Vety sporty and fluctuated about 10.5/11.5 stone 5'11" .
I was desperate to put weight on but couldnt always perfect bma .
When i hit about thirty eight i got a little belly ,went fron 32 to 34-36 and put on 3 stone.
You are obviously fit and healthy i wouldnt advise trying to put weight on ,just box at your weight you have

I was wondering if there is any specific reason you want to put weight. You sound like you have a healthy lifestyle and your body is at its natural weight for your lifestyle.

Try some weight training mate pack on some lean muscle.

Wow, theres my life story :)

Be warned all you 37 year olds ;)

ha this happened to me ...
all my life i was a slim , happy 12 stone , 32 waist lad ..
I hit 36 ...and now at 37 .. i am 38 waist 14 and half stone fat fecker !
piss me right off..i cant get rid of it !
My wife says im content .. lol i say im a fat fecker ha

EDIT...mate if u wanna put on weight ...drink beer at home or pub..4 cans a night , and go chippy 3 times a week ...kebabs on a saturday night ...and lie on the couch a lot on forums , come thank me in about 2 months pmsl !

Last edited:
Unfortunately I have the same story, was ok up till mid 30's then ballooned I fought back by exercising 6 days a week wen't back to boxing have always played squash anyway. I got the weight back off but keeping it off was to much like hard work so now I'm just a fat phuck ;) Anyway back to the problem as said before loads of whole milk and protein rich peanut butter, if you drink tea/coffe try adding cream instead of milk and eat something that aint too good for you late at night. But be carefull if you change your eating habits too much when that middle age spread starts to happen it's harder to stop :)

Anyway back to the problem as said before loads of whole milk and protein rich peanut butter, if you drink tea/coffe try adding cream instead of milk and eat something that aint too good for you late at night.

Surely that would only add fat as opposed to muscle which can't be good for you ?

Surely that would only add fat as opposed to muscle which can't be good for you ?

You need to eat good quality fats. Eating fat doesn't necessarily make you fat. If you don't eat enough fat your body will try to store what it can.

If you over-eat without training you will likely put on fat.

You need to eat good quality fats. Eating fat doesn't necessarily make you fat. If you don't eat enough fat your body will try to store what it can.

If you over-eat without training you will likely put on fat.

I recognise there are different types of fat, I thought that whole milk was high in saturated fats.

Yep your right but if you think theres 100% safe way to gain weight then your deluding yourself, in the end it usually comes down to fats and proteins in whatever form too much is bad for you.

I recognise there are different types of fat, I thought that whole milk was high in saturated fats.

You do need some saturated fats from memory it is used to make hormones, myelin nerve sheaths and cell membranes and probably some other bits and pieces. I was reading conflicting reports a while back on the impact of dietary fats on blood LDL.

Exercise should help keep LDL low so if he's active it shouldn't be a problem. He could get the levels tested too, it would be interesting to see if adding whole milk made a big change.

If you have too much of peanut butter or whole milk, i'm sure it will obviously be bad for you, but healthy snacks. It's also good easy source of getting calories

Dunno if you guys heard of the GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) program where your supposed to drink 7-8 pints of whole milk a day for 2 months to accelerate putting on weight. Now i personally think thats crazy, even if its just for 2 months.

If you have too much of peanut butter or whole milk, i'm sure it will obviously be bad for you, but healthy snacks. It's also good easy source of getting calories

Dunno if you guys heard of the GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) program where your supposed to drink 7-8 pints of whole milk a day for 2 months to accelerate putting on weight. Now i personally think thats crazy, even if its just for 2 months.

I've heard of it but don't think I'd try it. At the back end of last year I was drinking four pints of whole milk (and 300ml skimmed with mass gain for breakfast) as it was easier than solid food to increase calories (~4300kCal at one point). I did put fat on but I was happy with the overall ratio and strength gains, the fat has been coming off nicely over the last few months as well and I'm down to 8 pints of the whole milk a week. You tend to run low on options for calories when trying to eat a lot reasonably cleanly.

Back