Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pub-goers swabbed for drug traces

RAB - P

VIP Member
VIP Member
A device which can detect traces of illegal drugs on people's hands is being trialled by Strathclyde Police over the festive season.

Officers in South Lanarkshire will use the machine, known as the itemiser, at pubs and clubs in Hamilton, Rutherglen, East Kilbride and Clydesdale.

Revellers will be swabbed as they enter premises for traces of cocaine, cannabis, heroin and ecstasy.

The machine has already been piloted in Tayside and Aberdeen.

It is being introduced in Scotland's biggest police force area as part of the festive leg of the Safer Lanarkshire Initiative, and in partnership with the Scottish Crime and Drug Enforcement Agency (SCDEA) and Lanarkshire Alcohol and Drug Action Team.

All the licensed premises taking part are doing so on a voluntary basis and police officers, working closely with door staff, will check people as a condition of entry.

Divisional commander for South Lanarkshire, Ch Supt Tim Love, said: "We want to instil a greater confidence in local pub and club-goers that they can enjoy a night out without fear of encountering individuals under the influence of drugs.

"The itemiser is another tool to help ensure that the town centres of South Lanarkshire remain a safe place for all at the weekends and it is a device which sends out a clear message of our intention to combat recreational controlled drugs."

Lynn Adam, president of Strathclyde Licensed Trade Association and licensee of the George Bar, Hamilton, said: "As a publican within Hamilton town centre I welcome the joint efforts being made to make South Lanarkshire a safer place for people to enjoy.

"We have our own strict no tolerance drug policy in place and we take measures to prevent the illegal use of drugs in our premises."

BBC News

Wont work,simple.........................some geezers has just sniffed 2 lines of coke,and then proceeds to buy drinks with the note.
Next mr innocent is given the note in change from the bar and then has coke all over his hands,you can guess the rest.

Wont work,simple.........................some geezers has just sniffed 2 lines of coke,and then proceeds to buy drinks with the note.
Next mr innocent is given the note in change from the bar and then has coke all over his hands,you can guess the rest.

That's what i was thinking to..

yeh but what if u left one pub and were given a note with coke on, then went into the next pub, ud get pulled for it. I didnt think taking drugs was an arrestable offence anyways, i just thought it was possession you were arrested for? as if drugs tested you could claim u must have been spiked?

gives them a reason to search you though! Even if you not carrying drugs, no chance the pub would then let you in! So could ruin a good night!

think it is more a deterrent, maybe they just stop you entering is anything shows up.

a lot of doormen would not pass if they test them first,

i wouldnt get into nowhere then

nearly always have a joint or 2 before going out, but you never see anyone stoned starting trouble, they cant be arsed with it lol

i wouldnt get into nowhere then

nearly always have a joint or 2 before going out, but you never see anyone stoned starting trouble, they cant be arsed with it lol

I've been to Amsterdam over 20 times now, & the only bit of trouble I've seen was in a pub.

Every single coffee shop I've visited had a great atmosphere, full of all ages, & a good mix between sexes, and cultures.

This is the first year in ages I've not been. :(
--
Apparently 97% of American bills have traces of cocaine on them (depending on which source you read).

I can understand what the police are trying to do but think it is a bit sneaky sidestepping the law by making it a condition of entry to a club or pub.

Does this mean there will be a policeman at every club ? and they complain about not having enough manpower ?

I would have thought they would have bigger fish to fry...

Another reason for me to hang about at a mates instead of a room full of strangers where:

1. Can't smoke

2. Always trouble.

3. Prices.

4. Can't do piles of drugs.

Me, I will have the odd night at my mates, smoking a fat cigar, maybe have an xmas line of coke, watch a few good films, play some poker, drink some booze.

All good in the hood.

Well there's my excuse sorted lol

If the pubs was only full of people drinking then the pubs would suffer as most people would be fighting with each other once they are drunk rather than

coke - making them last alot longer before they are pissed
e - wanting to hug everyone (lovedrug)
hash - couldn't be arsed fighting or getting into a fight in the first place :Ha:

we are all responsible adults.......we all hold down jobs...........if i want a line on xmas eve then i will do one

and if i wanna get pissed so what!!!!!!

this country is slowly becoming a dictatorship....can't do this.can't do that.....just fooking let people live their lives.

whats next?

them people in the pub look like their having fun........must be doing hardcore drugs.....get the swabs out constable

ffs a joke of a country when it come to freedom

we are all responsible adults.......we all hold down jobs...........if i want a line on xmas eve then i will do one

and if i wanna get pissed so what!!!!!!

this country is slowly becoming a dictatorship....can't do this.can't do that.....just fooking let people live their lives.

whats next?

them people in the pub look like their having fun........must be doing hardcore drugs.....get the swabs out constable

ffs a joke of a country when it come to freedom

Freedom ?... your definitely in the wrong country mate lol

Back