PSP Old Timer need BIG HELP!

calvtan

Member ++
Reaction score
Hello All,

Please excuse me if I am too slow with all this stuff... I need some big advice...

I have a PSP in my drawer for almost a year collecting dust...I think is about time to bring it back to LIFE! :)

My PSP (FAT version) is a TA 079 version, and I got a original battery...and the current version is 1.50 (original).

The last time (i.e. a year or more ago) I run games, I used DEVHOOK (so no modding done).... I know this is way obsolete...Now, I want to get back to PSP scene, there are a few new games which I like to play...

But I am very LOST! There are so many things on the website....

This time, I just want to mod it to be able to play the latest game (but also be able to d/g to 1.50 when necessary) using image file(iso)

a) Recommend me the easiest way to update to the latest system software/modding so I can play the latest game, but with an option to downgrade if I need to.

b) i also heard about the Pandora battery (apparently it is unbricker for any version)
i) is the requirement, the ORIGINAL sony battery that came with it? and any Memory Stick Pro DUO?
ii) Does this mean, I need to get an extra set of battery and memory stick to play games like normal?

From my understanding, is it right
1) I upgrade to the latest Sony Official (i.e. version 4) and use Pandora Battery to downgrade when needed?
2) I need to install some hombrew firmware first (i.e. I heard about M33, but can't find any instruction to upgrade from 1.5 to the latest M33-4.01?) and Pandora Battery is a different story?

I know this may irritate someone due to my lack of knowledge, but I have already spend 2-3 days reading, but I am still very lost...

Please advise me the best way to go through..and the Pandora battery thing amazes me... and I think i will be very interested in that...but the obvious, is to be able to upgrade my PSP to be able to play latest game...

Thanks a lot in advance...

do not upgrade to the latest sony,i will look for latest files for ya

Thanks... appreciated it very much!

ok, i am d/l this now....

before that, do I need my PSP to be fully charged? or 50 % is good enough?

If fully charged (currently on charger), then I will try in 2 hours time, when fully charged...

Edit:

1) Downloaded all the files... still no reply from you regarding fully/partially charged battery so just reading around.
2) I saw this KXploit Permanent Patcher, does this mean it permanently patch my PSP? and there is no way to return to ORIGNAL SONY 1.50 FW later when needed?

Thanks

Last edited:
battery 75% charged and can be chaneged back to normal but dont see why you would want to

thanks... give me about an hour or two or so, will let it charged to 75% or more, and i will update the necessary

Please reply when you free and available... cause not right to hold your time...

no worries mate,may have to nip out in a bit but plentys of good guys on here know the score and will take you to the next stage using pandora to take it to the latest firmware:proud:

ok, after all the searching, i manage to find this website
hxxp://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/616311

Do you think this is worth trying? This will save your time as well...

After updating to all this M33, can i format the memory stick so i can put in the iso game? planning to go up to 3.90 first...

secondly, i bought the pandora battery from dealextreme...so no need to modify my original sony battery... but i guess when that arrives, i will need pointer on creating the magic memory stick... so can downgrade to 1.50 when bricking/or when needed..

looks easy enough mate,the link i gave you will take you to 3.52m33 easier then you could follow the se/oe/le users start here bit on that site or the lads will take ya through the rest,got to go out now.catch u later is still needed

ok.. manage to upgraded to 3.90 M33-3

1) Now, all the file has been installed? can i format the memory card so i can have a clean card for my iso?
2) I also installed theis 1.50 Kernel add on - not sure what the use is and how i can access it... any advise?
3) is this enough for the latest game? or should i upgrade to 4.01?

Thanks again for all your advise..

ok.. manage to upgraded to 3.90 M33-3

1) Now, all the file has been installed? can i format the memory card so i can have a clean card for my iso?
2) I also installed theis 1.50 Kernel add on - not sure what the use is and how i can access it... any advise?
3) is this enough for the latest game? or should i upgrade to 4.01?

Thanks again for all your advise..

1) yes you can format the card for your ISO's

2) the 1.50 kernel is for playing homebrew app's. you access the 1.50 kernel by fully turning off your PSP then hold the right shoulder button and turn it back on.
this gets you into the recovery menu, the kernel is under configuration "game folder homebrew"
but it's easier to leave the kernel set to 3.90 and put your homebrew app's in the GAME150 folder on the memory stick.

3) the choice is yours mate. you can leave it at 3.90 M33 if you are happy, but sooner or later you will find a game that requires 4.01 so you will need to update if and when you do.

u can use network updatew on ur psp to update
to latest custom firmware.via wireless router.
but for now format memory card in psp
that will make the folders for u.
then drop ISO or CSO games into the ISO folder.
if u have a umd game put it in the drive,then go to mem card and click on game u wish to play.

if u dont have a umd press select and u will get a menu
go to umd iso mode and change that to sony np9660.

afternoon larry

Thanks all...very much appreciated...

I guess since is not bricked..phew... i will wait for my order( pandora battery) from dealextreme to arrived before I start asking further questions..regarding creating the Magic Memory Stick...

I want to get comfortable with upgrade/downgrade, so i can help my cousins and freinds who are into PSP too...

Thanks again for all your help...

Last edited:
Thanks all...very much appreciated...

I guess since is not bricked..phew... i will wait for my order( pandora battery) from dealextreme to arrived before I start asking further questions..regarding creating the Magic Memory Stick...

I want to get comfortable with upgrade/downgrade, so i can help my cousins and freinds who are into PSP too...

Thanks again for all your help...

With that bunch of stoogies in the posts above and the rest of them wherever there are all willing to help, then you will never be stuck. I don't think theres anything they don't know about PSP's.

With that bunch of stoogies in the posts above and the rest of them wherever there are all willing to help, then you will never be stuck. I don't think theres anything they don't know about PSP's.

no questions about it!

reading through your thread im guessing you have a phat psp. why not use grader and have a dual boot pandora battery. Works same as a normal battery but can be used as pandora. Then no need to wait for pandora battery and can do your mates psp's too

hello madnlooney,

thanks for the information, interesting, while waiting for the pandora batt.... maybe I can try this dual boot pandora... first time i heard about this.. interesting...

thanks.

psp grader is used with a pandora battery
and it daul boots
i use grader on my 4gb game card with games lol
if u want pandora menu all u do is hold
the left trigger when switching on psp.

if u ordered a datel battery u would be better sticking with disinter on seperate card as grader and datel dont go well together.

Hello,

as i mentioned in the earlier post, i bought the Pandora batt from deal extreme....

so, i guess when it arrives (in a week/2 time):
1) I need to create a magic memory stick?

since i am quite comfortable upgrading from 1.50 original fw to the 3.90 m33-3...

2) can someone guide me the method to downgrade any m33 (i.e. my current one are 3.90-M33-3) to the ORIGINAL 1.50 Sony Firmware...with the Pandora batt (or do i only use Pandora battery when bricked?)

Love to learn both the methods to d/g to 1.50 original fw,
a) one using Pandora batt
b) one without Pandora batt (assumign I need to have CFW)

Thanks...

There is no working recovery file to get you back to 1.50 from custom firmwares above 3.71 M33

if you want to go back to 1.50 using your pandora battery then the best option is mr dude's pandora box GUI: http://rapidshare.com/files/51870543/Pandora_s_Box_GUI.rar.html

for custom firmware 3.71 M33 and below then you can use the recovery menu along with the recovery files which you can find on most PSP sites.....including here when the downloads are re-opened :tongue:

1.50 is for FAT PSP's only so dont try it on a slim PSP.

if your going to be modding PSP's then it would be much easier to use disinter or even this: https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1344709#post1344709
along with your pandora battery.

these will take any PSP to the latest CFW without having to go all the way back to 1.50

Last edited by a moderator:
Back