ps3 devs sre running for the hills

marra

Inactive User
Reaction score
graf_chokolo has contributed many things to the PS3 scene. He just reported that his home was raided by German police and all his computer(s) were confiscated to grab any data possible related to the PS3 (obviously issued by Sony). In response graf_chokolo released his Hypervisor Bible which contains “lots of knowledge about HV and HV process”.

Quotes from his blog:
February 23, 2011 at 11:52 am

Guys, SONY was today at my home with police and got all my stuff and accounts. So be careful from now on.

February 23, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Guys, i don’t joke, it’s serious.

And to prove it, i kept my word and uploaded all my HV reversing stuff.

Upload it everywhere so SONY couldn’t remove it easily. Grab it guys, it contains lots of knowledge about HV and HV procs.Here is my HV bible: Sendspace.com upload.com 2shared.com <- Coolstuff.rar [164mb]

February 23, 2011 at 12:51 pm

IDA database is the documentation, it contains all my knowledge, Linux booting is also there. It contains all the code i used to patch HV 3.41 and boot Linux. So, PS3 devs, grab it and continue my work. It contains just everything i know about HV, storage devices and so on.

Originally Posted by mecenefeaa

February 23, 2011 at 12:52 pm

this is not a scam i emailed graf and he confirmed the posts, and said not to email him anymore, it just seems like a scam due to the way things are playing out, but i swear its 100% not a scam as far as i know

February 23, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I can say with 99.9999999% percent positivity that its legit, thanks graf:)

February 23, 2011 at 1:36 pm

yea only admins like me and graf and dukio can:) and i extracted only like a fourth of the 165 megabyte rar and its lvl1, lvl2, and hv dumping and reversing for 3.15, 3.41 and 3.55 are there, theres more that ill look at later today when i get home, thanks graf:)

February 23, 2011 at 1:49 pm

me too EVERYONE DOWNLOAD so even if Sony removes the files they will still be everywere and so we can reupload! spread it like the keys!!

Source

And to add to this a recent tweet from matieulh

The ps3wiki is going down (I don't want to be arbitrarily raided by sony) This twitter is also not going to be active anymore.

and now apparently other devs are following suit.

i know this might sound hard talk for someone on the outside but what exactly did the devs think s0ny was going to do after they went after geohot dont get me wrong s0ny are taking it to far but you don't shout freedom then run off at 1st sign of trouble, personally i wouldnt like to be in the same place as some of the devs but i wouldnt tell everyone how it should be then do the opposite, all the same the devs have done a great job and as users we have alot to be thankfull to them for.. is this the end?

sony are really going for the balls of everyone! looks like they might even pull it off and 'save' their console. hope not though!

This is going to sound like a raging fanboy hardon but honestly I think Sony deserve a lot of credit for how they've seemingly stuffed the genie back inside the bottle and the steps they've taken to combat it. Seriously. When have you ever seen a company succeed in stopping widespread piracy on their system once accomplished ? You just haven't seen it. Companies tend to turn a blind eye to the minority that are pirating stuff. I can only imagine there must be a hell of a lot riding on the technology in that PS3 and various licenses that Sony have with game developers because otherwise they wouldn't have been so vicious to stop piracy and hackers in a competition war that they're losing anyway. Court orders, raids, warning emails, bans, subpoenas, rumoured new hardware which will probably be silently introduced if it's not already on the store shelves. That's a lot of stuff to combat the 20% that are pirating and hacking. So there must be a hell of a lot riding on it. Either that or they're setting a precedent now for the future to say 'look we're not taking this lying down.'

Personally I believe it'll reach a point if it hasn't already where it's like hacking Sony's console and pirating their games will be more trouble than it's worth. I mean it's bad enough with anywhere between 15-40gb downloads per typical exclusive game. And that's without the bans, warnings and all that crap that goes along with it. Just too risky.

Tbh I also think the hackers have been given a cold bucket of water over their faces as a collective....how many times have we heard them say 'it's over, sony's lost there's nothing they can do now. nothing is unhackable' things of that nature ? Yet they're fumbling with PS3 code and Sony seem to be doing a fine job of plugging the leak so to speak especially with the 3.56 fw that they said Sony wouldn't be able to stop the hacks with and yet low and behold they did. And did so effectively. Ruthless aggression is what I'd call it. It's not over yet but it seems be working.

It's partly their own fault for not be anonymous, remember the hackers of yore, such a s FTL, Fairlight, Razor etc they remained an enigma so could not be shut down they just released their crackz and that was that.

Most games don't push past 15GB and the largest I have seen is FF XIII which is 40odd, but still only takes a few 1-3 hours to download.

Last edited:
This is going to sound like a raging fanboy hardon but honestly I think Sony deserve a lot of credit for how they've seemingly stuffed the genie back inside the bottle and the steps they've taken to combat it. Seriously. When have you ever seen a company succeed in stopping widespread piracy on their system once accomplished ? You just haven't seen it. Companies tend to turn a blind eye to the minority that are pirating stuff. I can only imagine there must be a hell of a lot riding on the technology in that PS3 and various licenses that Sony have with game developers because otherwise they wouldn't have been so vicious to stop piracy and hackers in a competition war that they're losing anyway. Court orders, raids, warning emails, bans, subpoenas, rumoured new hardware which will probably be silently introduced if it's not already on the store shelves. That's a lot of stuff to combat the 20% that are pirating and hacking. So there must be a hell of a lot riding on it. Either that or they're setting a precedent now for the future to say 'look we're not taking this lying down.'

Personally I believe it'll reach a point if it hasn't already where it's like hacking Sony's console and pirating their games will be more trouble than it's worth. I mean it's bad enough with anywhere between 15-40gb downloads per typical exclusive game. And that's without the bans, warnings and all that crap that goes along with it. Just too risky.

Tbh I also think the hackers have been given a cold bucket of water over their faces as a collective....how many times have we heard them say 'it's over, sony's lost there's nothing they can do now. nothing is unhackable' things of that nature ? Yet they're fumbling with PS3 code and Sony seem to be doing a fine job of plugging the leak so to speak especially with the 3.56 fw that they said Sony wouldn't be able to stop the hacks with and yet low and behold they did. And did so effectively. Ruthless aggression is what I'd call it. It's not over yet but it seems be working.

no it doesn't sound fanboyish because your right! They do deserve to be recognized but I can't say I agree with their methods. It does all seem bleak but you never know, someone may just spring from nowhere with a piece of amazing code!

no it doesn't sound fanboyish because your right! They do deserve to be recognized but I can't say I agree with their methods. It does all seem bleak but you never know, someone may just spring from nowhere with a piece of amazing code!

That's what I'm hoping for, some kick ass code to be released like some kind of dual boot thing so we don't have to worry about legit or not and losing the benefits of either, so literally at the flip of a switch we can be either 100% legitimate or 100% hack mode. Back in the day this was 100% feasible and happened often with modchips but these days everything is online, logged and traced so I can't even see a dual boot method working tbh not like they used to. That's the great thing about new waves of consoles depending on which way you look at it - the rules and possibilities change up every time!

I reckon there's obviously some major Sony deals could go tits up with the result of this hack hence their aggression to stop it off I think it's all to do with royalties and the fact of drawing a line in the sand for the future because that's what Sony does in business if you look, they always plan ahead. Never really about the now but 2-3 years down the line. Microsoft and Nintendo aren't really bothered and are rather passive about hacking and pirating on their systems, even Sony themselves used to be up until PS3 came out. But now Sony are in kill mode at the minute and I think it's to limit the damage now as best they can and more to the point to deter people hacking their future consoles should there be any. Which there will be. I don't think there'll be too many people queueing up to hack the PS4 knowing what a b!tch the PS3 was to hack and also knowing what Sony are like and that they'd probably only end up in court for their troubles. Would you ? I wouldn't. That's my opinion on it anyways. :)

Last edited:
I've honestly not got a problem with piracy nor legal/illegal as I wouldn't be on here otherwise and nor am I hypocritical as I've hacked my PS3 and been busted for it. But what I do take issue with is if I'm being honest is people trying to rationalize or even legalize the fact that they've done something illegal by playing the rights card. It's like dude you hacked your console and you like most people that did it more than likely did it for the sole purpose of pirating games, and okay there's likely a few caught in the crossfire who hacked and aren't pirating but that's life when you're in the minority section.

Also the car analogy, I've heard it so many times and it gets more ridiculous the more I hear it as it just doesn't work on a number of levels as simply put even if using that rationale as justification it's like you can mod legally just like you can with consoles to some extent but there's still some illegal mods you can do on cars (and consoles too incl piracy) which if you get caught using you will be done for as there's a big difference between right of choice and right of law. This isn't a Sony defence post, or at least that's not my intent in posting it just so you know, but people need to be realistic and be honest about it rather than deflect the blame with weak arguments and counters on this side of the fence, or not that any of you's are guilty of this but as is the case on the other side of the fence where they try make people out to be child molesters just because they pirated a game ? *shakes head* Some people think 2+2 = 45,000 and they need to get real, seriously.

But back to you guys as I said I've got nothing against hacking or piracy, but 2 wrongs don't make a right, you can't have it both ways and you make your own choices in this world....but if you don't like the consequences well then that's the bed you've made tbh.

I've honestly not got a problem with piracy nor legal/illegal as I wouldn't be on here otherwise and nor am I hypocritical as I've hacked my PS3 and been busted for it. But what I do take issue with is if I'm being honest is people trying to rationalize or even legalize the fact that they've done something illegal by playing the rights card. It's like dude you hacked your console and you like most people that did it more than likely did it for the sole purpose of pirating games, and okay there's likely a few caught in the crossfire who hacked and aren't pirating but that's life when you're in the minority section.

Also the car analogy, I've heard it so many times and it gets more ridiculous the more I hear it as it just doesn't work on a number of levels as simply put even if using that rationale as justification it's like you can mod legally just like you can with consoles to some extent but there's still some illegal mods you can do on cars (and consoles too incl piracy) which if you get caught using you will be done for as there's a big difference between right of choice and right of law. This isn't a Sony defence post, or at least that's not my intent in posting it just so you know, but people need to be realistic and be honest about it rather than deflect the blame with weak arguments and counters on this side of the fence, or not that any of you's are guilty of this but as is the case on the other side of the fence where they try make people out to be child molesters just because they pirated a game ? *shakes head* Some people think 2+2 = 45,000 and they need to get real, seriously.

But back to you guys as I said I've got nothing against hacking or piracy, but 2 wrongs don't make a right, you can't have it both ways and you make your own choices in this world....but if you don't like the consequences well then that's the bed you've made tbh.

Raven, I always enjoy reading your posts....:Clap:

Back