Producing drawings for Planning Permission

Killer_K

Inactive User
Reaction score
hey, can someone please tell me if I can produce the drawings required for Planning Permission myself. Is it difficult? has anyone done this themselves?

I need to submit a planning application in for a roof terrace/roof garden and the Council have requested for drawings so i was just wondering if its easy to create them myself. any help will be appreciated.

What software do they use for these? is it CAD as i don't think they'll use Visio but i could be wrong.

You can do them yourself absolutely. Technical drawings are not difficult to do. Google "third hand projection" ( 1st and 3rd angle differences ) and do them the traditional way with paper and pencil. Very easy that way.

Last edited:
thanks torque mate.

what do the pro's use...is there a software that can do the same task

Do they want a building regs application as well? I presume that they will before you do it.

Contact me if you want me to draw you the plans.

Go to the library and photocopy similar plans. Then buy your self a 1:100 scale ruler and get drawing, it's all very simple.

downloaded a few similar plan drawings from councils website...i have all the info i need just need to draw mine now....need more pratice...still not good with 2D drawings

Stephent - pm sent mate

downloaded a few similar plan drawings from councils website...i have all the info i need just need to draw mine now....need more pratice...still not good with 2D drawings

Stephent - pm sent mate

Jesus! Let someone with CAD software experience do it! This is plans for your house your talking about here not a kids dolls house.

Architects have vast experience with strcuture etc and will have all the answers for their drawings.

You might find yourself more than a little embarrased if they question you on it?

Just my opinion!

I'd have to agree with Baaheeduk.

One mis-calcualtion with that scale ruler you use could mean a wall being a metre short or a roof not being to the correct pitch.

Get someone who knows what there doing to do it for you and it will save you a lot of hassle and if there is a mistake then its there negligence not yours.

One mis-calcualtion with that scale ruler you use could mean a wall being a metre short or a roof not being to the correct pitch.

Get someone who knows what there doing to do it for you and it will save you a lot of hassle and if there is a mistake then its there negligence not yours.

Yep! In fact, If there not right you wont get permission in the first place! there's an awful lot more to it than drawing lines.

its not a big job guys, not building a house or extending it....just making a flat roof into a walkable roof (roof terrace) so some really simple drawings required. the joists are strong enough to carry weight as have discussed this with building regs and builders.

some of you guys sound like you will call an electrician out to replace a blown fuse.......its good to dig around and have a stab at things as long as saftey isn't compromised. i',m a bit stuck financially hence, am trying to do the drawings myself...

anywayz thanks to all those that helped...i've got autocad and am making progress

ps: plan drawings are lots of lines, with measurements, openings (windows and doors) and stating what materials you'll be using and thats it unless ure doing some serious structural work where lots of other factors kick in ...

Back