Problems Upgradeing To Xp

FATBOY

Member ++
Reaction score
i have been sent a disc with windows XP from a very kind user of the hub. but when i went to install the XP software it crashes. i load it up and it gets to the end of the green bar when its PREPARING INSTALL 51 minutes to go. after a few minutes when its reached 51 minutes left to go the disc stops spinning and the little red h/d light stops flashing! ive left it for an hour and it just stays on 51 minutes left to go! its as if the pc has frozen??? any help please!!!!

cheers

you need to make sure that you format the hard drive to be NTFS NOT FAT 32 XP will only install on an NTFS hard drive

check and see if your disc is fat 32 (more than likely) go to my computer right mouse on the c drive what does it say ?

needs to be NTFS you will have to format it the the NTFS filing system the XP disc will give you the option to do it but you will need to save your files and folders

aint got a clue??? what do i have to do???? save what files and folders??? all i want is a frsh new install of XP

once you format the c drive everything will be lost XP will only work on NTFS hard drives do you have a slave hard drive?

you only get the option to install on fat32 if the drive is formatted with it, if you start a fresh partition you will only get to choose ntfs.

i run mine on fat32 all the time because i have loads of problems on ntfs so everybody to there own lol

flash :)

I think it depends on HDD size - under 32GB u will get option for FAT or NTFS - -over 32GB u dont get the option.
If u aint bothered about saving any files/settings then put CD in drive when u first switch PC on. Keep pressing DEL until you are taken to the BIOS screen and set your first boot device as your CDROM drive. Save and exit the BIOS menu and let the PC carry on booting. Watch out for 'press any key to boot from CD' - -press key.
Now u r in the windows setup process on the CD - follow instructions to install XP and delete existing partition - once you have deleted the partition you can install XP onto the unpartitioned space - this will create partition and format it for you.
Having done that simply let XP install - you will have to enter a couple of details during installation like user name, country, keyboard language but its all pretty starightforward.

If you still have Me on that drive I would do a scandisk just to check it is OK - -looks like a HDD problem by what u r describing

i thorght you couldn't load xp straight form disc on a freshly formatted drive? you need the boot floppies which is 6 disks you can get it off of the microsofts website this is the only way i could manage to do it every time i tried upgrading from 98 i kept having problems since i done that i had none.

you cant have the full one sp1..it self boots and goes on any h/drive..then asks you if you want to format drive ...dont need floppies

Back