Problem with Seller on Fleabay

Enticy

Member ++
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am having a problem with a seller on eBay. My step-son bought my wife a android tablet for tabtronics. Initially, my wife found it to be really slow and android market wouldn't work. Following a complaint to the seller they suggested an update to the firm where which removed some of the Chinese apps and fixed the android market. But, the tablet is really slow. I tried to look at a local newspaper's website and when trying to go from one page to another took forever.

The screen is not so much a "touch screen" (it is resistive rather than capacitive) but poke really hard and you might get lucky screen. My wife simply cannot use it and keeps reverting to her laptop making the tablet useless and redundant.

We have not bought on eBay much and had never need to complain. We have tried to reason with the seller who is not being very co-operative. We have opened a case in the resolution centre but that just seems to encourage us to talk to the seller.

In response to the case being opening, the seller has said the specs were shown in the description. He also says he has personally tested this model of tablet himself and web pages load fine. Apparently the speed and memory are typical of an entry level tablet and so in effect we have got what we paid for (my words not his).

Yesterday, I received a message where I thought the seller was offering an upgrade but apparently I was mistaken. This evening I accepted the offer I thought he had made but only to get a response stating the tablet is now used and so all we can do is sell it on ourselves. I am minded to write back and suggest that it is faulty on the basis that web pages take ages to load in our experience which differs to his own and therefore the unit must be faulty.

Anyone here have any suggestions on what we should do next?

Thanks in advance.

Enticy

hmm a little trick this one , can you first put up a link to the tablet tha you have bought? i shall see from the spec etc wether it should be fast on pages or not but by the sounds of it it seems you did not do your homework before buying as you mention"chinese apps" which suggests its a china make and not of a brand which is more mainsream in the uk so will not have much support and probabbly something that you should have expected to be "not very good" secondly you say it has a "resistive" screen which is just not very good tbh especially on a tab its just about bareable on a friends n97 that ive had a play about with

put up a link so we can take a look first then i some of us here can advise the unit is faulty or is just what it is really

Thanks for the reply.

The link is here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....74732257018&ssPageName=ADME:X:CPSSOSB:GB:1123

Hope it works for you if not just let me know.

BTW this was a gift from my step-son to my wife for her birthday. Personally I wouldn't have gone for it due to the specs. I have been thinking of getting the sony s1 as it integrates nicely with my bravia tv and ps3 etc. But don't like to say too much to my step-son. He isn't that techy and so probably didn't realise the spec makes it little better than a digital photo-frame. I am a little more techy but he had already bought it before I knew.

Thanks again.

Enticy

all i get on that link mate is "This purchased item information is no longer available"

ok no probs here are the specs any way:

[h=1]Specification :[/h]
  • Specification:
  • CPU: VIA 8650 800MHZ
  • RAM: 256MB
  • Storage: 2GB
  • Support TF card extend 32GB max
  • Display: 8 inch TFT resistance touch screen 800*480
  • Webcam: 1.3 mega pixel camera
  • 3G: external 3G function
  • GPS: No
  • Bluetooth: No
  • Networking: wifi 802.11b/g
  • Battery: 1500mAh
  • Work time: 2-4 hours
  • MIC: Yes
  • Input: 100-240V 50-60Hz 0.3A
  • Output: 9V 1500mA
  • Audio format: Mp3, WAV, AAC...
  • Video format: MKV(H.264 HP), AVI, RM/RMVB, FLV, WMV9, MP4...
  • Picture format: JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG
  • Office software: Word, Excel, PPT
  • Support flash 10.1
  • G-sensor: Yes
  • Interface: DC jack*1, USB*1, TF card slot*1, Headphone jack*1
  • Material of back cover: Plastic
  • Other application: 3G Setting, ADSL Setting, App Market, Browser, Calculator, Calendar, Camera, Clock, Contacts, Email, Ethernet, File Browse, Gallery, My Music, My Photo, My Video, Picture Capture, PK Manager, Search, Settingd, Voice Recorder, Wi-fi Settings, YouTube
  • Language: Czech, Danish, German, English, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish, Turkish, Russian, Greek, Korean, Japanese, T-Chinese, S-Chinese
  • Weight: 540g
  • Package weight: 1.2kg
  • Size: 20.5*15*0.8cm
any thoughts

thanks again

I just sold my tab which was 10.2" for £45. I sold it that cheap because it's slow, generic and only running 2.2 and I didn't want any come back. I made a point in the sale to highlight these points and advise that they need to investigate what they are purchasing before committing to buy.

These generic tabs are £50 - £150 for a reason and most people see the price before the technology. Don't be expecting miracles from it, and to be fair to the seller to a degree he is right. If you had a copy of the original ebay post it might have helped your case, but after 90 Day's they are removed, which seems to suggest you have had it a while (you only get 45 days to raise a claim)

Now the next point. It came with 2.1 (1030), however I had to specifically find a custom ROM running 2.2 with improvements for it to be even notably accepted as a tablet rather than a piece of crap. I doubt it will be possible as mine was at least branded, but you might want to search around the net for a custom rom, and if it supports it try flashing it with ODIN (if that's the chosen method)

This supposedly supports VIA WM8650 8"
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/20864-rom-universal-modroid-v8-based-on-151-by-wicknix/

Last edited:
This item was bought on the 16th of December for wife's birthday which was on the 29th December so still think there is plenty of time. I have raised a claim and was wondering what happens next. I have got back to the seller but falling on deaf ears any help here would be gratefully received.

Thanks again.

Enticy

Thanks, I just assumed because it was removed then it was some time ago. It's removal could also be for other reasons only known to eBay.

It's difficult because I can see your point, however the device itself doesn't appear to be faulty. The problem is with the software, now OK there is a case to be had that he should have tested it before he shipped it to you, but the other side is that this is the nature of android on the type of tablet you have purchased. Just look around the android forums, slate droid etc and there are a multitude of custom roms for this very reason, to try at get the best out of a bad bunch (for what is inherently chinese and clone tablets), it's very rare for people that know who buy these to actually stick with the OOB ROM.

For example, to liken it to a PC, you purchase one but just because IE isn't working properly you don't take it back to the shop, your likely to get some advice about upgrading, replace it or use another browser; they are not going to offer you you're money back.

It comes down to you get what you pay for. Like I said I had one not that dissimilar, I paid near on £140 for it as a present for my daughter and to me it was a piece of cheap junk, which never got used for the reasons you have also cited, but the difference is I realised what I bought wasn't the buyers issue, because i took my chances in buying something cheap and it didn't work out, i sold it on but made sure it was at least working, but did so at a huge loss.

If you have raised a case then from what I recall you have 20 days in which to escalate that to a claim if your discussions are not successful. From that point paypal will make a decision on whether to return your money or not.

Just out of interest, how much did you pay for it?

Last edited:
dont think its the software tbh, look at how much ram it has, its struggling with basic tasks and thats why, the cpu isnt great but android is like linux and not really cpu hungry. the only thing that could work is a stripped back custom rom with hardly anything running but i fear theres more chance of pigs flying tbh.

break it and return it, as shitty as that might sound its probably your best bet.

The RAM in this case is irrelevant (to a degree), my old tab (and I have seen other 7" tabs) had 256MB, but it ran like crap on the version of Android that was loaded. The only case with relation to the RAM is if there are several apps running at once and it is utilizing memory. The custom rom which was loaded removed a large percentage of the background apps.

It may seem harsh with what I'm saying, but I can guarantee this is a software issue and that the tab isn't sufficiently specced to run the OS with great speed. Additionally, the resistive screen doesn't help, but you won't get a low budget Chinese tablet with anything but this. Just to clarify when I say software I mean in the context of optimising the OS for the platform it is on.

Whilst I sympathise with the OP, he's essentially got exactly what he paid for.

Last edited:
Back