problem installing xp pro

SPARKYJOE

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi my m8s pc f-ecked up and i am now installing a new 80gig hard drive.its an old pc but was running xp pro before without any probs.when i get the pc to boot from he cd rom everthing goes great till it gets to the select patition part and then the keyboard will not respond to ny command it just dies any ideas peeps.ps the key board works ok on my pc but its a compaq key board if i change to a basic keyboard do you think this will help cheers joe

i would not have thought it would make a dif, but you never know ..... i would try booting with Hiren's Boot CD ( can be found at 9down.com ) and try using the partion software on that to see what happens. Is there more than one drive in the system as there might be a clash going on .....

Ps love the avitar ..... concider it nicked! lol

Is it a usb keyboard? if it is, the drivers will not be loaded on the pc yet. Try using an older round plug type, or using a converter from usb to round type

hi m8 for now take out the other drive so u only have the 1 hard drive in the pc , just check the jumper setting on the drive ur taking out and that its the same when putting the new drive back in (jumper is the plastic cover covering to of the pins on the back of the hard drive)make sure ur ide cables are all attached correctly and power cables , then boot the pc up , it will tell u what button to press to get into ur bios settings (usally Del or F2 )once in there u can check that the new hard drive is showing if it is , save and come out , if its not a faulty new hard drive ur putting in and if all cables are correctly fitted it should show up in the bios then re boot the pc with windows xp in the drive , (have u checked the version of xp is working fine)and follow the on screen instructions .

i have a usb wireless mouse and keyboard and dont have a prob , but u can also use tab and ctrl key to put the info in , but try the old wired keyboard if u wish .

Back