Compaq Evo D300 won't boot after installing XP SP2

ms2005

Inactive User
Reaction score
So I've been asked to look at a family members old skool PC. They only use it for emailing really and only has a dial up connection so it still had XP Pro but no updates so first thing I did was plug it into the broadband and let it run.

it installed SP2 but now won't boot, just gets as far as the XP loading screen then crashes. It will boot to safe mode with networking so I'm slightly;y confused.

A google search throws up that some BIOS need updating to run XP SP2 but I can't find a BIOS file anywhere only a flash utility.

Any ideas what is up with it.

From what I can work out it's a Compaq Evo D300 DT, its got 768MB ram and a P4 processor so should be more than capable of running it.

is this the right bios update file

Compaq Evo D300 Desktop- CPQFlash Utility for Evo D500, D300 and W4000 models (686Y2 ROM) - HP Business Support Center

his SoftPaq creates files that contain the CPQFlash utility and a binary image of the System ROM for the Compaq Evo D500, D300 and W4000 models with a 686Y2 Family ROM.
The CPQFlash utility is used to locally flash the System ROM on PCs through a Windows environment.

The ROM Family and ROM date can be determined by running the Setup Utility by pressing F10 on the target computer during system power on of the computer, and viewing File/System Information. This information can be saved into a text file by selecting File/Save to Diskette.

Type: BIOS
Version: 3.04 A (12 Aug 2002)
Operating System(s): Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Windows XP Professional
File name: sp21600.exe (857 KB)

is this the right bios update file

Compaq Evo D300 Desktop- CPQFlash Utility for Evo D500, D300 and W4000 models (686Y2 ROM) - HP Business Support Center

his SoftPaq creates files that contain the CPQFlash utility and a binary image of the System ROM for the Compaq Evo D500, D300 and W4000 models with a 686Y2 Family ROM.
The CPQFlash utility is used to locally flash the System ROM on PCs through a Windows environment.

The ROM Family and ROM date can be determined by running the Setup Utility by pressing F10 on the target computer during system power on of the computer, and viewing File/System Information. This information can be saved into a text file by selecting File/Save to Diskette.

Type: BIOS
Version: 3.04 A (12 Aug 2002)
Operating System(s): Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Windows XP Professional
File name: sp21600.exe (857 KB)

Yeah I downloaded that, I thought it was just the Flash Utility, I have an ASUS MOBO on my DT and still need to manually add the BIOS file to the flash utility.

Will give it a whirl mind, cheers for your time.

So I've

System Restore to Win XP Pro 2002
Updated BIOS to latest version
Re-installed XP SP2

System still crashes at Win XP Boot screen, tried messing with the BIOS but there are less than a handful of settings to adjust so I can't see it's a wrong configuration stopping it running.

I genuinely have no idea.

From your description the PC is more than capable of running SP2.

So you removed SP2, did the PC boot ok?

You have'nt by chance got go back on that PC?

No mouseware.

Ill run driver genius and try again, see what happens.

I can install SP1a and it will boot, then tried to go from SP1 to SP3 and again it crashes at boot so took SP3 off leaving just SP1a and it's ok.

Is it a total format you are doing?

When you say you are installing 1a then 2? i presume its a basic XP disc with no service pack? I would try another XP disc with service pack slipsteamed into it. Best one i found is xp with sp2 slipstreamed with no addons. then install the drivers one by one.

when its stuck on the xp loading screen, does it freeze or does the bar keep moving? seems like a driver issue and not a BIOS issue to be honest. SP2 is not liking one of the drivers.

Is it a total format you are doing?

When you say you are installing 1a then 2? i presume its a basic XP disc with no service pack? I would try another XP disc with service pack slipsteamed into it. Best one i found is xp with sp2 slipstreamed with no addons. then install the drivers one by one.

when its stuck on the xp loading screen, does it freeze or does the bar keep moving? seems like a driver issue and not a BIOS issue to be honest. SP2 is not liking one of the drivers.

No I'm not doing a fresh install, the system is just ancient and the family member is old and only had dial up so it's never been updated.

Thought I would be kind whilst I was trying to resolve their email problem (receivng but not sending) but whenever I try to put SP2 or SP3 on there is just crashes at boot.

I'm too leaning towards a driver but I've updated the Intel chipset driver and ran Driver Genius and loaded all the updated drivers it found but still no luck.

At this rate they can just have it back without any updates.

You should install SP1a then SP2 and then SP3. But it does sound like a driver issue to me as devil666 says. Have you stripped anything out of it you possibly can and thena basic install 1st and add the other hardware later?

Looking at the product though the does not seem to be much that can go wrong save the known problems with the stuff I mentioned earlier, GoBack and Logitech Mouseware which are know SP2 issues with the product.

Back