Prince returns from Afghanistan

totalgenius

Inactive User
Reaction score
Prince Harry has returned to the UK after being withdrawn 10 weeks into a front-line deployment in Afghanistan.

Click here to watch the video

The prince landed at RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire, where he was met by Prince Charles and Prince William, and left the base after more than an hour.
The Prince of Wales spoke of his "great relief" at his 23-year-old son's safe return from Afghanistan.

Prince Harry's tour was cut short after a news blackout broke, leading to fears he would be targeted by the Taleban.

_44461822_harry2_pa203b.jpg

Prince Harry's deployment was subject to a news blackout

'Particular frustration'

The prince landed in a Tristar transport plane at 1129 GMT with about 170 personnel, most of them having completed their tours of duty.

The plane was carrying three badly injured soldiers, two of whom were taken off at Birmingham en route to Brize Norton.

Several dozen servicemen filed down the steps from the plane before the prince emerged.

He walked across the tarmac with his colleagues carrying a large kit bag over his shoulder, and made his way to the terminal building.

The Prince of Wales said: "I feel particular frustration that he was removed unexpectedly early because, apart from anything else, he had been looking forward to coming back with the rest of his regiment."

He added: "We owe an enormous amount to those families of servicemen who endure so much and support their loved ones with such understanding. It makes a huge difference.

"I also feel very strongly that we don't often appreciate what the people in the armed forces are doing, putting up with the most impossible conditions, very often in hazardous circumstances in heat or freezing cold, being shot at or rocketed at and goodness knows what else."

After an hour and 10 minutes, Prince Harry left the base still in his combats, with Prince Charles and Prince William. His brother helped Harry carry his kit to their grey Audi.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown said: "The whole country is going to be delighted that Prince Harry has come back safely."

Front-line posting

Speaking before his withdrawal from Helmand province, Prince Harry said he was enjoying being in Afghanistan and away from the British media.

The prince also said he would relish another front-line posting.

"It's something I would love to do," said the third-in-line to the throne.

"I don't want to sit around Windsor, because I generally don't like England that much and it's nice to be away from all the press and the papers."

Brize Norton station commander, Gp Capt Malcolm Brecht, said Prince Harry was one of many soldiers returning home at the same time.

He told BBC News: "There's nothing special today actually, this is routine.
"We have pretty much daily flights from Iraq and Afghanistan and he's one of many passengers coming back through here today, between 700 and 800. We look forward to welcoming them all back."

Foot patrols

Prince Harry was sent secretly to Afghanistan in December but was ordered out of the country by defence chiefs on Friday.

He was based in a former madrassa along with a Gurkha regiment, and his role involved calling up allied air cover in support of ground forces and going out on foot patrols.

The Household Cavalry officer was picked up from manoeuvres and flown to a base at Kandahar to join his flight back to the UK.

The prince's deployment was subject to a news blackout in a deal struck between the MoD and newspapers and broadcasters in the UK and abroad.

The agreement broke down after the story appeared on influential American website The Drudge Report.

The MoD has refused to be drawn on press speculation that Harry's brother, Prince William, will be deployed on board a warship after his Royal Navy training later this year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7271408.stm

Bla Bla Bla... brave royal... Bla Bla Bla.... war hero.... Bla Bla Bla..... spoiled brat.... Bla Bla Bla... sound bite....Bla Bla Bla.... load of old crap....

Don't think anyone really cares to be honest , just wish he would have a shave and a hair cut and stop looking like a slob in the countries uniform......

he is 23.... there is boys giving their LIFES in our armed forces as we speak!! and we would be lucky to even hear their names, what a sad sad society we are........

His mum was names correctly....Lady Diana, as for the rest of them...... what a waste of money...........

I dont think that makes much sense. Out of all the of thr Royal family, Harry is probably the best of them. He said in his interview after coming home that he preferred being out there as he doesnt like the UK much, and you know what? That amount of candour makes me believe him.

He is not the only British officer to have come home early, one difference in his case is that he didnt make the desicion to get out, others buy themselves out...

Also, any of the bad guys over there would have gone above and beyond to get him, how many regular people would have died as a result of this?

Well done Harry.

He could easily have chosen another career but he wanted to be a soldier, IMO he is very humble about it al.

It's the MEDIA that have created this circus, not him.

@ Karym6, well said mate.

Last edited:
I never really thought too much about harry, but with the recent interviews i genuinely believe this is what he wants to do and he should be allowed to do it.

Well done Harry.

He could easily have chosen another career but he wanted to be a soldier, IMO he is very humble about it al.

It's the MEDIA that have created this circus, not him.

@ Karym6, well said mate.

Humble ?.... is this the same Harry dress as a Nazi walking about doing the "goosestep" and the Zieg Hiel salute? .... how humble can ya get lol

Different career?....... like what exactly ?...... he runs the risk of one day being the commander in chief of HMF's so a little spell in the armed forces is a bit of a pre requisite.... sorry guys but facts hurt some times.....

@ Karym6, whats your point mate ? your post is a tad hazy, which is not like you lol

@Karmy get your facts right m8. Harry said he didnt like england that much not the U.K. Anyway hes not the one creating the fuss its the media. The guy was just trying to be an ordinary soldier and from what ive seen he was doing a decent job out there. He didnt think he was a hero but was quick to point out who the heros were. The to lads on the plane with him that were badly injured. Good lad Harry is what i say

@Karmy get your facts right m8. Harry said he didnt like england that much not the U.K. Anyway hes not the one creating the fuss its the media. The guy was just trying to be an ordinary soldier and from what ive seen he was doing a decent job out there. He didnt think he was a hero but was quick to point out who the heros were. The to lads on the plane with him that were badly injured. Good lad Harry is what i say

Will agree with the UK/England comment :Clap:....

Humble ?.... is this the same Harry dress as a Nazi walking about doing the "goosestep" and the Zieg Hiel salute? .... how humble can ya get lol

Different career?....... like what exactly ?...... he runs the risk of one day being the commander in chief of HMF's so a little spell in the armed forces is a bit of a pre requisite.... sorry guys but facts hurt some times.....

@ Karym6, whats your point mate ? your post is a tad hazy, which is not like you lol

Yeah, whatever.

eh? ok yeah he said he doesnt like England much, I mis read - but what else do I need to get my facts right about?

I saying well done to the lad for going out there and doing the business. He should serve as an example to people who want to go and serve for the country.

I might not be making a whole lot of sense right now as I am in the middle of a cold. My comment on officers going home early, I have known officers who have left their commision by buying themselves out, leaving the guys and their colleagues behind just because they dont like the situation they are in.

After all of this i think very highly of Harry and his attitude. Hopfeully he is going to be able to do more of this for the country soon!!

Well if he is so keen to get out there again why does he not just resign his H.R.H. and come off the civil list and get "back to business"

His privileged life style comes at a price I am afraid to say, the price being that as long as we are picking up the tab for him to do as he pleases then we expect a return for our money.

There has been £100,000's if not millions spent on little boy blue and I expect in the future for him to "do his bit" by bringing trade and commerce to Britain and the odd tourist.

As has been stated here already, as some officers bought themselves out there is no reason why Harry can't simply leave the civil list.

The royal family is simply put a tourist attraction and irrelevant otherwise, and simply put just a pack of Germans & Russians.

eh? ok yeah he said he doesnt like England much, I mis read - but what else do I need to get my facts right about?

I saying well done to the lad for going out there and doing the business. He should serve as an example to people who want to go and serve for the country.

I might not be making a whole lot of sense right now as I am in the middle of a cold. My comment on officers going home early, I have known officers who have left their commision by buying themselves out, leaving the guys and their colleagues behind just because they dont like the situation they are in.

After all of this i think very highly of Harry and his attitude. Hopfeully he is going to be able to do more of this for the country soon!!

Just the one about England m8. I kinda agree with the rest of your posts

oh right, ok.

well, he wouldnt want to be in Edinburgh either right now either. The place also looks like its been hit by a bomb :)

oh right, ok.

well, he wouldnt want to be in Edinburgh either right now either. The place also looks like its been hit by a bomb :)

Nothing new for Edinburgh then.......... A castle, train station and hills lol

a guy at work told me the other day that Prince Harry has to go in the army to get his inheritance from his father if he becomes king . his said thats why prince andrew had to do into the army , its something that goes back donkeys years that the second son has to see combat ? any one heard of this , l had a quick google but didnt find anything . he said he heard it on bb4 radio

and very soon a tram system it what is generall accpeted as one of the UK's smallest cities... :(

Only kidding Karym6, Edinburgh is a lovely village...... in fact I used to live there..... got a job eventually like....:banana::banana::banana:

a guy at work told me the other day that Prince Harry has to go in the army to get his inheritance from his father if he becomes king . his said thats why prince andrew had to do into the army , its something that goes back donkeys years that the second son has to see combat ? any one heard of this , l had a quick google but didnt find anything . he said he heard it on bb4 radio

Yeah have heard this before, but as to whether its true or not I don't know (no that's not a first) lol

I mean, what if there was no war to go to ?

Back