playstation mod?

White Van Man

Inactive User
Reaction score
i have a playstation 2 (chunky one) i have a 80gb maxtor hard drive (diamond max 16) has no model number on it. i want to put this hard drive into it i know i need a network adaptor but i have been told that i need to chip the playstation as well.Is this true? can some one help me on this one as i am a little bit confused? i thought it was hard drive or the mod chip not both.
any help would be appreciated on this one.

To do what you want to do you just need the network adaptor and the hdadvance disk (an original copy.) This way you can use the hdd without getting it chipped. I've got both in mine which lets me boot from a copied version of hdadvance

Thanks for replying m8.I might be best chippin it as well as i have young kids and if i need original disc and kids damaged it.well it would be cheaper in the long run.I take it i will be able to copy this disc?
Thanks m8

buy a swap magic disk, this way you can copy all the ''back-up''games across to the harddrive without chipping the ps2.

cheers

cheers mate do i need both hdadvance as well as swop magic disc? or just the one?
Thanks

No just the hd advance discs but you will need the slide tool for swapping back ups over.

Dolfiemax said:
No just the hd advance discs but you will need the slide tool for swapping back ups over.
His backups are running from the HD no disc swaping is needed.

To clarify. What you need is HD, network adapter and an original copy of HD Advance. More info here: http://www.hdadvance.com/hd_advance_how-to-use.htm

Last edited:
yes but in order to transfer ''back-up''games across to the hardrive he will need swap magic. then once a game is transfeered on to the hdd, u will not need to use swap magic to play that game.

cheers

i had the same setup dont bother with swap magic get a mod chip and then get hdloader not hdadvanced because it has bad compatibility of games

kabzy mabzy said:
yes but in order to transfer ''back-up''games across to the hardrive he will need swap magic. then once a game is transfeered on to the hdd, u will not need to use swap magic to play that game.

cheers

I transfer the games onto the hard drive using the DVD drive of my PC using the (free) software downloadable from the website I linked to. Others use winhip. Never tried Swap Magic to transfer games onto the HD via the PS2, as I can do it quicker using my PC (faster DVD drive and USB2).

However it looks like different methods = same result...

You can, apparently, use Swap Magic to boot HDLoader from a memory card, but I've not tried this method. Search google for more info.

Thanks everybody for their replys lot of interesting info and thanks for sending me the link eveything is alot clearer now.

Cheers

If you decide to go with hdadvance and the network adaptor all you need is the slide tool to load copies onto the drive, theres no need for swap magic unless you want to actually play from the copied disk (which could be handy as not all games run from the hdd)

Referring to the swapping of back ups i was talking about sliding them onto the ps2 NOT ACCESSING them once they are on! This is done via ps2 not pc.

Back