Plane crew held over cocaine haul

calvtan

Member ++
Reaction score
Page last updated at 20:59 GMT, Monday, 16 February 2009

Plane crew held over cocaine haul

Fifteen crew members on a South African Airways (SAA) flight have been arrested after cocaine with a street value of £250,000 was seized at Heathrow.

The arrests were made by UK Border Agency officers at the London airport.

They uncovered five kilos (11lbs) of the Class A drug in a piece of baggage on the flight from Johannesburg.

Last month, 15 other SAA crew members were arrested after cocaine and cannabis was uncovered at Heathrow in a separate incident.

They have been granted unconditional bail and instructed to report back to Heathrow police station on 23 March.

The fifteen crew members detained on Monday are being held in custody.

They will later be questioned by HM Revenue and Customs officers, who are handling the investigation.

Bob Gaiger, spokesman for HM Revenue and Customs at Heathrow, said crew members were subject to the same customs checks as any other person when entering the UK.

BBC News Link

Guess what?!?

I am flying to Cape Town via Johannesburg using South African Airways in 2 weeks time via Heathrow too...

Now, I am lost, I can't refund as it is bought through expedia.co.uk

And I just found out about this, SAA Cancellation although my travel dates missed by one day (outbound) - 2 (inbound)....

What's ur opinion on this?

Not sure, have you got a problem with the cancellation since you say you missd it by one day. Why would you want to refund flights though, airline staff getting nicked shouldnt affect you.

if you are hit with cancellations, maybe try get some compensation from the airline. Not sure ABTA can help you either, as no fault with expedia. Might be worth a shot though as they may be able to advise.

Nah, it hasn't affect my flight yet...

But just the thought of' how the drugs gets into bags?!?!" that's worrying me...

u never know...

take minimal hand luggage if your worried. I personally wouldnt worry too much though saying that, they are pretty strict nowadays. Travelling back from the USA, I got stopped as dogs sniffed my bags. Wife wanted some of that jalapeno cheese which you couldnt find here. Well its illegal to bring back cheese (dairy) and so I got an official warning.

Nah, it hasn't affect my flight yet...

But just the thought of' how the drugs gets into bags?!?!" that's worrying me...

u never know...
Many airports now have a facility to shrinkwrap your baggage to prevent theft and or someone putting something in your bags...

yup, thanks... for the ideas...

shrinkwrap seems like a good ideas...cheers...

Back