Phone Scam

bigboris

Inactive User
Reaction score
Found on another site I dont know if its been posted on here before ?

Be warned – telephone Scam..........

We have been advised of a telephone fraud currently in operation -this applies to home and work telephones, landlines and mobiles.

If you receive one of these calls, upon answering the telephone you will hear a recorded message congratulating you on winning an all
expenses trip to an exotic location or you have won a competition and a major prize

You will then be asked to press 9 to hear further details. If you press 9 you will be connected to a premium rate line that costs approximately £20 per minute. Even if you disconnect immediately at this stage it will remain connected for a minimum of 5 minutes costing around £100. The final part of the call involves you being asked to key in your postcode and house number, which has other serious consequences. After a further 2minutes you will receive a message informing you that you are not one of the lucky winners.

The total bill by then will be £100.

Since the calls are originating from outside the UK, BT and other telephone companies are left relatively powerless to act. The only safe solution is to HANG UP before the message prompts you to dial 9, even safer HANG UP on any unsolicited 'free offer calls'.

There is another scam operating on mobile phones as well. A missed call comes up. The number is 0709 020 3840, the last four numbers may vary, but certainly the first four will remain the same. If you call this number back you will be charged £50 per minute.

People have complained about their phone bills, once they have realized the cost of the call, but apparently this is completely legal. So
beware, do not call back numbers beginning with '0709'. Please pass this information on to your family and friends.

think the cu**ts got me the other day not sure till i get my bill

same here m8 cheers, i,ve a fair understanding of the first 4 codes as to what the price is or might be but this is beyond me that many variations now :( jon.

My dad just got done wit this tonight
he called me to say he had a missed call from an 0704 number and tried to ring it twice but it kept saying please hold while we connect you.
I told him to call T mobile to see how much it cost him
He was on for 5 seconds in total which cost him 98p
i would be wary of calling any numbers back that you didnt recognise

Yes m8, its been posted before: http://www.world-of-digital.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35243&highlight=%A320 (had to search using '£20' as only keyword).

However its a hoax.

ICSTIS said:
£20 PER MINUTE AND £50 PER MINUTE TELEPHONE 'SCAMS' - URBAN MYTHS

ICSTIS has recently been yet again deluged with enquiries about the above 'scams', which are once more being widely publicised by e-mail. To help us put an end to the latest spate of enquiries, please pass this information on to all contacts.

In the first case, the apparent 'deception' takes place when people receive a recorded message informing them that they have won an all-expenses paid holiday and are asked to press 9 to hear further details. It is then claimed that callers are connected to a £20.00 per minute premium rate line that will still charge them for a minimum of five minutes even if they disconnect immediately. It is also claimed that, if callers stay connected, the entire message costs £260.00.

In the second case, the apparent 'deception' takes place when people receive a missed call from a number beginning 0709. It is then claimed that, if callers dial this number, they are connected to a £50.00 per minute premium rate line.
Please note that these stories are STILL NOT true.

£20.00 per minute and £50.00 per minute premium rate tariffs do not exist - the highest premium rate tariff available is £1.50 per minute. Despite the dozens of enquiries received by ICSTIS about these 'scams' (and most people appear to have heard about them second or third-hand), not one person who claims that it has actually happened to them has been able to produce a phone bill to support their story.

ICSTIS urges any individual or organisation that receives an e-mail about these 'scams' to delete it immediately. Please do NOT forward it to others.

thanks, for the info (dam £50 a minute) 5 minutes would be £250 : shocked2 :mad:

got one the other day from 0709 mumber sayin i had missed delivery from them.
i was waitin on an argos delivery but was suspicious as the argos name wasnt in the text, so i ignored it.
just read your post an now glad i didnt ring back .f8ckin leeches
thanks for the info mate.

I think you're wasting your time little pob. They seem to enjoy falling for these Urban Myths. As Mindless exposed on the previous thread:
"£20 PER MINUTE AND £50 PER MINUTE TELEPHONE 'SCAMS' - URBAN MYTHS
ICSTIS has recently been yet again deluged with enquiries about the above 'scams', which are once more being widely publicised by e-mail. To help us put an end to the latest spate of enquiries, please pass this information on to all contacts.
In the first case, the apparent 'deception' takes place when people receive a recorded message informing them that they have won an all-expenses paid holiday and are asked to press 9 to hear further details. It is then claimed that callers are connected to a £20.00 per minute premium rate line that will still charge them for a minimum of five minutes even if they disconnect immediately. It is also claimed that, if callers stay connected, the entire message costs £260.00.
In the second case, the apparent 'deception' takes place when people receive a missed call from a number beginning 0709. It is then claimed that, if callers dial this number, they are connected to a £50.00 per minute premium rate line.
£20.00 per minute and £50.00 per minute premium rate tariffs do not exist - THE HIGHEST PREMIUM RATE TARIFF AVAILABLE IS £1.50 PER MINUTE. Despite the dozens of enquiries received by ICSTIS about these 'scams' (and most people appear to have heard about them second or third-hand), not one person who claims that it has actually happened to them has been able to produce a phone bill to support their story. ICSTIS urges any individual or organisation that receives an e-mail about these 'scams' to delete it immediately. Please do NOT forward it to others".

SOURCE:http://www.icstis.org.uk/icstis2002/

I've highlighted the important bits for those who don't pay much attention.

aahh i get it now

thanks narabdela

1.must start reading the longer posts
2.must start reading the longer posts
3.must start reading the longer posts
4. ...............
100.must start reading the longer posts
lol

dabberwatcher said:
aahh i get it now
thanks narabdela
1.must start reading the longer posts
2.must start reading the longer posts
3.must start reading the longer posts
4. ...............
100.must start reading the longer posts
lol

:Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:

I'll let you off the : spank :

narabdela said:
I think you're wasting your time little pob. They seem to enjoy falling for these Urban Myths. As Mindless exposed on the previous thread:
"£20 PER MINUTE AND £50 PER MINUTE TELEPHONE 'SCAMS' - URBAN MYTHS
£20.00 per minute and £50.00 per minute premium rate tariffs do not exist - THE HIGHEST PREMIUM RATE TARIFF AVAILABLE IS £1.50 PER MINUTE. Despite the dozens of enquiries received by ICSTIS about these 'scams' (and most people appear to have heard about them second or third-hand), not one person who claims that it has actually happened to them has been able to produce a phone bill to support their story. ICSTIS urges any individual or organisation that receives an e-mail about these 'scams' to delete it immediately. Please do NOT forward it to others".
SOURCE:http://www.icstis.org.uk/icstis2002/
I've highlighted the important bits for those who don't pay much attention.
think your right m8 got my bill and it was ok just one more thing for yous thou a guy was in my brothers shop there trying to sell him an 0845 or something like that and what he said was every time someone rang you you get 2p a minet now just think his phones dont stop all day do that over a month and id say youd be doing ok but he didnt do it in the end hes ment to be there to help not take

why the hell do people keeping posting this crap it really winds me up. a simple search will find several of these URBAN MYTH posts probably all with me winging about them in them.

Urban myth??????

Perhaps people dont just search looking into the sky it may have been posted before but lots of people may not have read it .Whats in ones mind is not always in others ,it may be right it may be wrong ,do people search for hundreds of postings before posting????? just because some know and some dont we are not to be put in a corner and basically told to be quiet and shut up..... info is for everyone............

OMFG THEY GOT ME ON MY O2 PAY AS YOU GO
I HAD £14 CREDIT AND THEN I HAD A NUMBER I REDIALED IT AND IT ANSWERED BUT NO ONE SPOKE WEN I HUNG UP IT SAID U HAVE 37p LEFT I WAS UPSET!!! LOL
:( i hate this

Back