PDA + SatNav - Not quite sure what to buy?

Devilfish

DW Regular
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I think I'm going to buy a PDA and get Tom Tom on it for the car.

I've been looking around and like the look of the HP IPAQ series. I don't want to spend too much so at £169 the Rx1950 looks pretty good. It only has 96Mb of ram and some reviews say it's quite slow!

I've had a look at the 'What have you got' thread and just about catching up with the lingo...lol

If anyone has any recommendations on what to buy...it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

I used to have a Snooper Speed Camera detector...is it possible to get something similar on a PDA as well?

I noticed the speed camera maps in the download section...just not sure how to use them!

Thanks!

Bluemotion said:
find the tomtom Ov2 file and place them in your Map dir on your Sd card

Thanks Bluemotion...I'll keep that in mind when trying to get a map working! :Clap:

YOur on right track looking for Reviews and all.
just keep reading,
make sure it has bluetooth.
dont buy any software!

then buy a Bluetooth Gps module for about £30-40.

i'll send you tomtom and away you go!

Bluemotion said:
YOur on right track looking for Reviews and all.
just keep reading,
make sure it has bluetooth.
dont buy any software!

then buy a Bluetooth Gps module for about £30-40.

i'll send you tomtom and away you go!

Top man...cheers! I just don't want to buy a slow PDA and won't be able to out anything else on it!

devilfish said:
Top man...cheers! I just don't want to buy a slow PDA and won't be able to out anything else on it!
I've got a hp ipaq hx4700 running TomTom 5.1 with the up to date maps on an SD card. I have a CF receiver in the other slot and the whole thing works perfectly and is very fast when recalculating routes when on the move. The screen on this pda is also true vga I think. I paid £250 second hand for mine on ebay about 8 months ago but it's been the best pda I've had and I've had 3 to date. Hope this helps.

newnesy said:
I've got a hp ipaq hx4700 running TomTom 5.1 with the up to date maps on an SD card. I have a CF receiver in the other slot and the whole thing works perfectly and is very fast when recalculating routes when on the move. The screen on this pda is also true vga I think. I paid £250 second hand for mine on ebay about 8 months ago but it's been the best pda I've had and I've had 3 to date. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice...I think I'll need to save a wee bit more for a good one!

The Dell Axim 5 gets some good reviews too, I got the Axim 3 of ebay complete with TT Navigator and sat reciever for 160 quid, its only 6 months old. Then downloaded the camera database here put a 1gig SD card in (15 quid) and its brilliant and quick too.

Dingodog said:
The Dell Axim 5 gets some good reviews too, I got the Axim 3 of ebay complete with TT Navigator and sat reciever for 160 quid, its only 6 months old. Then downloaded the camera database here put a 1gig SD card in (15 quid) and its brilliant and quick too.

Wow...now I've got choice! The Dells look amazing! Thanks for that!

devilfish said:
Wow...now I've got choice! The Dells look amazing! Thanks for that!

the dells really are amazing!
x5* range can do owt

I wouldnt worry too much about the ram for TomTom ive run TomTom perfectly fine on a PDA with 64 meg ram... It should be ok, just when you start saving lots of appointments and stuff and other programs on the PDA it slows down because the programs are stored in Ram as the devices dont have permanent useable memory :)

acer n35

makro are selling the acer n35 for £129.99 + vat i paid £200 for mine

Dutcho said:
Soooo, what PDA that is the question, gonna take the plunge myself ;)

I've decided against it for now...as much as I would like one...my wallet doesn't. lol

I really wanted it for the Sat Nav so I've put Tom Tom 5 Mobile on my Nokia 6680 and it works a treat!

To be honest, if you want sat nav and aren't that bothered about the PDA, go for the single setup everyday of the week.

Too much messing about with the PDA, have one myself and because it isn't in a one unit thing, I can never be bothered. Also everytime the battery goes flat on a PDA, you have to reinstall everything (not good especially if you want to just leave it in the car).

Well thats why i went for a PDA version, but to be honest, they're not that great a gadget, my mobile phone can do almost as much as my PDA.
Therefore unless you have specific applications in mind for your PDA, I would avoid getting one.

OK so I want a PDA rather than a stand alone, what am I looking for ? And should I get a one that is also a mobile phone like the 02 XDA IIs or not ? I would like features like camera ect, do some pda's have this option ?

What other advice can I get :)

Thanks

Last edited:
Back