pc wont boot

tangoed_01

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi can somebody offer any advice please, just started with a major prob on a spare pc i use athome , when switching on the pc only stays on the first show energy screen and wont go past that. I carnt even get to the bios or into safe mode the pc just hangs at the initial energy screen. Ive reseated the memory ,reconnected the hd ,everything seems fine the pc was working fine about a month ago, now i carnt even get it to boot Was gona set it up as a server to use from home:THANKS:

Could be a few things, are you getting any beeps when attempting to boot?

If you have had the computer in bits id also check the mobo for bent pins ect, if you have added any new pci cards for example try removing them.

Did a repair job on a computer about a month ago, same issue, turned out to be a memory stick they had left in the back of the computer, also check that? :p

Something to try anyway.
Craig!

thanks Craig tried all that and the usual bit stumped at the mo ill get back to ya if i can get it sorted thanks again for the advice added to ya rep

i would take out all the cards and unplug all the dvd,cdrom drivers

make sure you have plug the mouse and keyboard in the right way as this will stop some pc from booting

if none of that works then take the jumper of the board that reset the bios

Have you been making sure you are not full of static when touching the motherboard or RAM as you would not notice a zap that could kill your board

I'm having the same problem, PC's been in garage for over a year, when trying to boot all I get is bleeping sounds....will try whats been advised here and let you know. In the meantime let us all know if you get to the bottom of it matey!!!

sorry for the late reply av checked everything with no joy dont get any beeps computers only showing the energy screen, have tried new mem the graphics is onboard and the only other hardware connected is the dvd drive. ive even reset the bios via the jumper think its time for the big skip in the sky lol many thanks for all the advice ,ive even checked the hd on another system and thats fine. thanks to all who helped again

Check hard disk is spinning. Is any noise coming from it? Could try connecting to another PC using USB IDE cable.

hi can somebody offer any advice please, just started with a major prob on a spare pc i use athome , when switching on the pc only stays on the first show energy screen and wont go past that. I carnt even get to the bios or into safe mode the pc just hangs at the initial energy screen. Ive reseated the memory ,reconnected the hd ,everything seems fine the pc was working fine about a month ago, now i carnt even get it to boot Was gona set it up as a server to use from home:THANKS:

Try another power supply, I had a faulty 4 pin supply to the mobo/ processor on a couple of pc's that produced the same error. Swapped it out and £10 later problem solved.

hi try changing the memory on your pc. I built a new pc for my BIL and the same thing happened when he started it up, after messing around for half a day and 10 cans of stella, changed the memory the computer justed booted up.

i would try reseating the cpu. as i had this problem recently. i then changed the cpu and it worked after that.

I would suggest CPU myself, any other problem would allow you to get further into POST than you are getting.

There is a small chance it could be you PSU but that is easy to check and eliminate first.

I doubt it is HDD, battery or memory with your particular problem.

Messa

if cmos battery is dead then there will be no bios=no hd detection etc - is the energy screen just the monitor display ? a cheap multimeter is handy as you can check the power output from the power supply unit on ALL leads coming off it-some may be ok some may not be. Also make sure the motherboard etc is clear of any dust build up (use a clean paintbrush & vacuum) dust can cause some curious problems...

if cmos battery is dead then there will be no bios=no hd detection etc - is the energy screen just the monitor display ? a cheap multimeter is handy as you can check the power output from the power supply unit on ALL leads coming off it-some may be ok some may not be. Also make sure the motherboard etc is clear of any dust build up (use a clean paintbrush & vacuum) dust can cause some curious problems...

No, I think you are wrong, a PC should still boot without a battery.

The job of the battery is to store settings with the PC switched off, it has no practical use once the PC has power again. If he was getting 'CMOS error' etc on boot then maybe, but his error is not a battery issue.

IMO anyway.

Messa

Back