Pc to TV Sound!

hnj

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi i have connected my pc to my tv via VGA cable i would like to keep this VGA cable but at the same time listen to sound on my tv is there a way of doing this?

This is my Pc:
Acer Aspire l320
Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor E2140

THANKS!

Id make sure I used the line out from the soundcard rather than the earphone out, Ive ruined an amp doing that

?

I have connected it one by one to each soundcard port (5) Then i tried headphone jack but it is not working?

And the RCA cable (the one to tv) is not red and black mine are yellow and white

Will it still work?

What TV do you have? (make and model)

Some TVs take RCA, others take 3.5mm mini jack, a few have optical in, some don't even have sound for the VGA channel and you'll need separate speakers...

Sony Bravia LCD TV HD READY!

Model number: KDL-S40A12U

Thanks!

The manual is not online for that model (typical Sony!)

Going off the manual for the KDL-S40A11E, is there a socket on the back of the TV labeled PC
sony.jpg
? (might have a box around it with a 5 in the top right corner)

If there is that is the line in for the PC (its a 3.5mm mini jack on the above model).

yellow is not sound its video all u need is a Y phono cable should be red and white one end running into a single green at the other sell on ebay for about £1.99

Out of curiosity, is there not a scart adapter you can buy to put the audio cables from pc into and then scart to tv ???

yh there is a socket which is 5 and is PC! where i can put RCA cable ,but the thing is that they are red and white will white and yellow work?

Also in that little box i can see another connection which looks like an headphone plug in thing (if that helps)

As it is not seemed to be working!

THANKS!

How many sections are there at the 3.5mm jack end of the cable?

For a normal audio to RCA there would be 3: left, right and ground. If there are 4 you've got a cable from somthing like a video ipod or mobile, and this most likely won't work.

If there are only 3 sections, provided that your are going from line out on the computer to the correct socket on the TV, the colour of the plugs should be irrelevant (but I stress that you check at your own risk).

It is possible that the 3.5mm mini jack on the back of the TV is headphone out rather than a line in. The manual, if you have it, should clarify this point (it should be under Using Optional Equipment, Connecting Optional Equipment).

im not too sure wot ur trying to do here mate

you got the picture from ur PC displayed on ur tv but u would like the sound from your PC to come out thru the speakers on ur tv?

Out of curiosity, is there not a scart adapter you can buy to put the audio cables from pc into and then scart to tv ???

aldi was selling tevion pc to tv packs for £4.99 a few month back 5 meter cables scartlead tv adapter s-video head phones etc and jack all gold plated was the nuts for the price i bought 10 packs and chucked em in the loft

u need a pc audio Y cable very cheap on ebay just type in y cable are as suggested above buy a pc to scart pack also very cheap i have a a few spare ones if you need one youll have to pay the postage on top of a £5 are look for tevion products on google i got my packs from aldi £4.99

Couple of checks to do. (NB some are a bit obvious, but the intention is to rule things out rather than sound patronising)

At the PC end:
  • Do you get sound out of the PC when hooked up to speakers?
  • Make sure you are using line out - the standard colour is green, but should also have a symbol similar to ((( ))) with an arrow leading out of them to confirm.
  • Make sure sound is not muted on the PC - if the speaker icon is not in the bottom right corner go to Start > Run > Control > Sounds and audio devices > Volume tab. Uncheck the box if set to mute, check the box if you want the icon in the system tray. Whilst there check the volume slider, left is quieter, right is louder.
  • Make sure your audio device drivers are up-to-date.
  • If you have a sound card installed make sure you use that rather than the onboard sound as some sound cards disable onboard sound.

At the TV end:
  • Check the settings of the TV to see if it is a switchable option - the manual should provide the most help, but check the OSD setup options too.
  • Check both the inputs at the back of the TV with a different source (e.g. an MP3 player) to see if it is able to play from another source.
  • Turn to a tuned TV station and plug a set of speakers into the mini jack to see if it is infact a line out rather than line in (dispite the manual for the similar socket).

Other things to check:
  • Does a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio mini jack work?
  • Is that cable known to be working?
  • Confirm in your manual the assumption that PC
    sony.jpg
    is the audio in channel when using VGA.

wheneva i plug in the wire rca wire to my pc i get this message:

View attachment 32751

Which one shall i choice and i have 3 greens on my computer one headphone and two are the normal ones!

THANKS!

I have solved the problem some how lollll

i tried headphone jack to headphone jack and it work!

A special thanks to little_pob! and femalelizzard and all!

DW RULES!

Back