PC Slowdown

N

newrotic

I have an Athlon 700mhz on an AsusK7M mb that slowed down suddenly last week. I benchmarked it usin sisoft sandra and it benchmarks at less than an old 286 machine. I've checked the memory modules with a sim tester and thats all fine. I've also reformatted the drive and installed a bare windows 98 setup but this hasn't changed anything. I've also checked the graphics card & sound card which seem to be working ok. I suspect it may be the processor but am unsure if it would continue to function if there was a fault. Any help or links to checking software would be appreciated

I dont think its the processor as usually they work or dont .try looking if you have a virus (they seem to get everywhere now)or have you got too many progs running in the background on boot up.have you added any new hardware/software just befor the prob started? if so try changing back to the old h/ware or uninstalling s/ware to see if that helps.check the memory as well if its got a dodgie sector then that causes slowdown or fatal exceptions.

Cheers for the reply, I've reformatted the HD, deleted partitions, installed bare win 98, run virus checkers and trojan checker and there's still no difference. Thanks for the help anyway it's now on it's way back to the manufacturer.

Back