PC Midi Tower

Napster

Global Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
its been a while but i need something clearing up , does the power supply on the tower suck air in or pull it out, as my son case the power supply is at the bottom and the top of the tower is getting very hot, going to add case fans but not sure which way round to fit them pulling or pushing air :)

its been a while but i need something clearing up , does the power supply on the tower suck air in or pull it out, as my son case the power supply is at the bottom and the top of the tower is getting very hot, going to add case fans but not sure which way round to fit them pulling or pushing air :)

Cold/cool air should be pulled in from the bottom, given the got air rises this is then pushed out at the top.

Cold/cool air should be pulled in from the bottom, given the got air rises this is then pushed out at the top.

cheers m8, looks like im going to have to buy a case fan or 2 as power supply on this case is ant the bottom at the front under hard drive and cd dvd rom, nice case but power switch is underneath :( LOOK

DSCN0373.jpg

Last edited:
air out m8 :")
Every power supply I've had, the fan draws air into the PSU. It's why some, more expensive, cases have filters that line up with the PSU fan.
cheers m8, looks like im going to have to buy a case fan or 2 as power supply on this case is ant the bottom at the front under hard drive and cd dvd rom, nice case but power switch is underneath :( LOOK

DSCN0373.jpg

I probably have a couple of spares, what size is the fan mount on the back and bottom of the case?

All the power supplies I've seen blow hot air out the back, or in your case should be out the bottom. The airflow would normally mean cool air is sucked in from vents in the front of the case and the fan would blow the heated air out of the back of the power supply.

Some power supplies, like the one I have now, have the fan inside the case and so draws air from inside the case and through and out of the back of the power supply.

I've never seen a power supply that suck air from outside the case and blows hot air inside the case.

Looks like you have space for an 80mm fan next to your cpu cooler, make it so it blows from inside to outside.

just checked the air flow the power supply pulls air out so i need to fit a case fan pulling air in which will give better air flow, fan size for the bottom is 70mm and the back will take 70mm or 80mm.

i had a throught, (ok dont laugh) if i take the fan in the power supply and switch it round so it pulls air in to supply and the fit a case fan at the back will that improve air flow or bugger power supply up.

You will then find that the inside of the psu will have lots of dust settling against the components. It will start causing PC to crash randomly.

Best thing is extractor fan at top.

Sent from my HD2 using Tapatalk

The main reason you've got heat at the top of the case is that is where the CPU, RAM and HDD are located in your case. But also the graphics card appears to vent into the case and, as you know, heat rises. Mounting an exhaust fan at the top rear of the case would be the first thing to do before modifying the PSU.

For the fan size did you measure adjacent or diagonal mounting holes? I ask as 70mm diagonal is an unusual, but not unheard of, size. Where as 70mm adjacent equates to an 80mm fan, a much more common size. (In turn 80mm adjacent would equate to a 92mm fan.)

It is unusual that the PSU pulls air the way it does, but it shouldn't matter to the PSU which way the air flows. The reason the opposite fan arrangement is usually found is because it allows top mounted PSUs to act as an exhaust and stops bottom mounted PSUs venting onto the graphics card. If opening the PSU, you would need to be careful not to touch any capacitors contained therein.

i took mesurement across the top, so you are right a 80mm fan will be the one think thats the standard model of fan.

i due to fit a new board and cpu in the week so i was thinking take the fan off old cooler and fit that to the case should help a little :)

lets see if i can make myself a little clearer the power supply is as you say its pulling air through it and its coming out via the switch, so i would say thats normal.

what i was thinking as power supply is at bottom of case which is not normal as heat rises as you say, thats what made me think if i reverse the fan in power suppy so it pulls air in where switch is the heat would rise and i could pull it out via a case fan at the top. do you think that would work or cause more problems for me.

i due to fit a new board and cpu in the week so i was thinking take the fan off old cooler and fit that to the case should help a little :)
That'll work.

However, if you need, I've definitely got some spare 80mm fans, and possibly a 92mm fan. If you you want one or two drop me a PM with an address to send them to.
lets see if i can make myself a little clearer the power supply is as you say its pulling air through it and its coming out via the switch, so i would say thats normal.
Yes, that is the more common way. What is unusual is the vertical mounting of the PSU.

what i was thinking as power supply is at bottom of case which is not normal as heat rises as you say, thats what made me think if i reverse the fan in power suppy so it pulls air in where switch is the heat would rise and i could pull it out via a case fan at the top. do you think that would work or cause more problems for me.
I'll have to take back my previous statement that it shouldn't matter which way the fan blows. Apparently heat sinks cool more efficiently when air is pushed on to them rather than pulled over them.

Top or bottom mount power supplies are normally installed so that the long edge is horizontal. So now I'd be interested in knowing if there's an opening on the front of the case that allows air into the PSU? If not it's possible the PSU is being 'asphyxiated' of cooler air from outside the case. In this case I'd try rotating the PSU 180 along the vertical axis, i.e. have its fan pointing into the case, but leaving the switch at the bottom.

To follow up on my earlier air filter comment, whenever any intake fan is pointing at the floor, you've the potential to pull more dust into the system. I'd leave the PSU fan as is, and fit a fan + filter to the bottom intake. Filters are about £3 from ebay, but a section cut from some old tights (up to 20 denier) will work just as well ;)

this is the type of fan in it m8

17-103-937-12.jpg

and here is bottom of case

SS850648.jpg

Last edited:
Not seen a PSU like that for a while. That we can see its power leads, that fan will likely be sucking air out of the PSU. As mentioned, this isn't the most efficient cooling design, and if there isn't one at the other end or on the side (in a push-pull arrangement) a lot of the heat will just vent into the case.

As such you may want to consider installing a 400-500W 80+ PSU such as Corsair 430W V2 CX Series PSU | Ebuyer.com or Corsair 500W CX V2 PSU | Ebuyer.com

do you understand why i was on about making the power supply pull air in and a case fan pulling it out at the top, cant harm to try, only a few screws

you already have mounting for a fan at the rear of the case next to the CPU, so put a fan there.

I suspect if you pull off the front of the case there should be space for a fan in front of the hard drive, so that should drawing air into the case over the hard drive.

Finally, don't know what gfx card you have but if it really is overheating then look at replacing its heatsink fan.

Right got you now. The problem is that'll pump more hot air into the case.

i understand that m8, but im trying to way the odds up if the case fan is pulling out from top back will it be better than just pulling out both directions.

Back